CCW/HD Target Practice & Techniques

2»

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    OOOOOOO - KAAAAAAY. . .

Having re-read my post three times: You stated what you thought. I disagreed. I made a statement regarding what I have seen with a large percentage of folks who for their own reasons came to the same conclusion you have - "THEY" not necessarily being "YOU" - and outlined some of the problems with that rationale.

I then looked at a portion of your statement specifically, took an educated guess as to where that might have been coming from, and addressed it.

The last thing I would ever try to do is psychoanalyze you specifically, as leaving a FLGR in a 1911 is the subject of a doctoral thesis all by itself, and frankly, I don't have that kind of time.

I.O.W.:chill:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Those who swim the river of status quo, never reach the ocean.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • HDKorpHDKorp Member Posts: 70 Member
    HEY! Don't make me turn this bus around!
    - Colt Cobra .38 Special, Walther P38 9mm, Para USA 1911 GI Expert Stainless .45ACP
    - Ithaca Model 72 Lever Action .22LR, Remington 11-87 Semi-auto 12-Gauge, Remington 870 Express Super Magnum 12-Gauge Pump Shotgun/Slug Combo
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    gator wrote: »
    Sam,
    I mostly stay out of these arguments because I don't profess to be an expert in the art of SD/HD, but you come across as the one and only person on the board that knows what is best for all.
    Then you get all head up when someone disagrees with you, someone who just might know more about the subject at hand than you do.
    I really do not think anyone here gives a rats behind how you or anyone else here chooses to practice but when you come out point blank and tell them that they are wrong well........what do you expect?

I'm waiting for your comments to Eli, who told me, and I quote, "Once again, you're wrong". So ELI was the person who told ME that I was wrong. I did NOT NOT tell Eli or anybody else they were wrong, just said "One guy's opinion" and repeated that concept a couple of times.

So, gator, please re-read the thread and study it and then see WHO actually SAID someone else was "wrong". I NEVER did, but Eli did.

Why then accuse me of doing the exact thing that someone else did? Please explain. Thanks.

Also, if you can quote in this thread where I said, as you accuse, that I "point blank" told someone they were wrong, please do so now or tell me that you were mistaken, that it was the OTHER person who said that I was wrong, "point blank". Fair? Rat's behind or not?

And once more with feeling... I am OKAY with everyone else's belief that it's legit to practice at longer distances for (and this is essential) lethal self defense purposes (not just the "sport" of longer distance pistol shooting). GO AHEAD and do this all you want. I will NOT tell you "you're wrong" as Eli did me. I will NOT pass judgment. I will simply state that my opinion is different and say why, is all.

Some of you guys have an anti-sam chip on your shoulder, and yeah, I earn some of it because I dare to challenge the Power Elite here occasionally and not kowtow to the mantra, but that's how I've always been. But please just READ the postings before making incorrect statements first? I know that some here also like to jump on the slam-sam bandwagon to earn brownie points, but that's kinda beneath you (the "general" you, not the "gator" you). Sigh.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    Bigslug wrote: »
    OOOOOOO - KAAAAAAY. . .

Having re-read my post three times: You stated what you thought. I disagreed. I made a statement regarding what I have seen with a large percentage of folks who for their own reasons came to the same conclusion you have - "THEY" not necessarily being "YOU" - and outlined some of the problems with that rationale.

I then looked at a portion of your statement specifically, took an educated guess as to where that might have been coming from, and addressed it.

Okay, fine. I had assumed the comment was personal, since I seemed to be the ONLY poster here with that opinion. When you were actually referring to the numerous others who posted here with similar opinions as mine (that practice for self defense at greater distances is not valuable). I myself cannot find any other postings in this thread from those that "they" were among, only "me". Nevertheless, being old and crotchety, I probably overlooked those other people's postings to whom you were referring.

Anyway, I'd be happy to discuss specific points of fact or even opinion, but I really would rather depart from any speculation into someone's mindset or personal drive or thoughts except those which are actually set down here in words, words, words (as Hamlet jokes). I'll refrain from speculating on your inner thoughts (I think I've done so previously) and you please do the same for me. What I actually post, feel free to bash away, dude.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    We have a Power Elite here??? I thought we only had Power Rangers.:tooth:

I haven't posted my opinion on this thread because I still consider myself a newbie to firearms. I like reading the tips and opinions posted by all. But this thread has sure fallen apart. I feel sorry for the original poster.

And just for the record, I practice a lot at close range and out to 50 yards. 100 yards, I can't even SEE the target.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,689 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »

However, if you're ONLY practicing self defense, I maintain that 100yds is much too far for any reasonable self defense distance. The vast majority of SD shoots occur almost within reach, or a bit further, like 20 feet.
    Work on technique for quick, accurate, repeated hits center mass at 20-25 feet, also closer, and also do some occasional practice at 40-50 feet but that's about it. No further.

Sounds like a point blank "He was wrong" to me
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,689 Senior Member
    I know that some here also like to jump on the slam-sam bandwagon to earn brownie points, but that's kinda beneath you (the "general" you, not the "gator" you). Sigh.

How would you know what's beneath me or not? You don't know me from Adam.

Your attempt at playing up to my sense of individualism makes you sound foolish.

If you did know anything about me you would know there is zero difference between the internet me and the "general" me.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    When you were actually referring to the numerous others who posted here with similar opinions as mine (that practice for self defense at greater distances is not valuable). I myself cannot find any other postings in this thread from those that "they" were among, only "me".

Negatory. I was referring to the actual, meaty persons I deal with in the actual, meat-filled world. As far as I know, everybody here except Buford, Zed, and Kenfu1911 are the HAL9000's first cousins.

And no, I won't get away from speculation into the thoughts of others as they relate to shooting, as shooting is an extremely mental game at which I have seen countless folks screwed out of decent range performances by their own head noise. Sure, I do a lot of coaching on the mechanical aspects of grip, sights, trigger control, follow-through, etc..., but I spend EASILY as much time reining in things like anticipation, trigger slap, performance anxiety over qualifying scores, one bad shot screwing up the performance of the rest of the day, and yes, the problems I outlined with never venturing outside one's comfort zone. If there was nothing more to it than teaching a robot how to hold the gun a certain way and sending rounds downrange, I'd have a very easy job. It's the damnable human wiring that brings the challenges, and it takes a fair amount of "Yoda-ing" on my part to set the mind straight so the body can be dragged along behind.

Chopping away the silhouette target to where only the critical 4" circle of "stop-'em-right-now" is left, and setting it out at 3-4 times the
    "national average" for distance is one of my more effective tools for this. In terms of operator confidence, there is a world of difference between "Can I make this shot?" and "I've made much harder shots than this". It's all in the brain.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    I tly, I tly.
    Sounds like a point blank "He was wrong" to me

No, I said "I maintain" (that's "literary" for "I think"). If you think this means that I'm declaring the other person wrong by stating my opinion, then you need to re-read the posts in question and search for the word "WRONG". You will NOT find it from me.

If you're looking for "point blank" phrasing, try searching for the ACTUAL WORD in question, "wrong" to see who used it. Is that so difficult? Apparently.

Again I ask, WHO said "wrong"? Not I. It was Eli. I'm therefore at a loss as to why you didn't tell Eli (the person who ACTUALLY said "...you're wrong...") about it.

But, as usual, words, actual real words, are ignored over the mantra and the goal of conformity. I would however appreciate just ONE reference from you as to who used the word "wrong" describing the other's post. Not I.

How would you know what's beneath me or not? You don't know me from Adam.

You missed the point. I wasn't talking about "you, gator" (you as a singular) but "you, bandwagoners" as per the usual mantra-loving group cheering squad. So I was NOT specifying you personall, gator, real or internet persona either.

Sometimes in English, if it's not clearly specified, the word "you" can be misinterpreted as a personal and individual "you" rather that the "group you" that very formal English terms "one should follow the laws". The trend in modern American English is that the pronoun "one" is not used for informal or standard prose, only for very formal essays and reports. So when I said "you" I was intending the "group or general you" (collective) and not the personal "gator" you. Sorry if I offended.

Also note that I STILL haven't used the word "wrong" to declaim another's posting. I'll try harder in the future to blame others, okay?

And just for the record, I practice a lot at close range and out to 50 yards. 100 yards, I can't even SEE the target.

Shhhh.... I am actually the same. I really didn't have cataract surgery and my vision isn't really near perfect now. I in truth can't see past the end of my fingers. Everything's a blur beyond. And that's the REAL reason I said that practicing SD shooting out to, oh, 354 parsecs (hey, those aliens could be lurking!) is not too valuable. Shhhh. Don't tell, okay?

Aieeee! Now bling Mr. Yu and Mr. Wong into discussion. Why, why, dey no post nating hea. Mr. Miyagi is not pleased.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,057 Senior Member
    I came over to this thread to read what all the hubub was about that was referenced in another thread...now I'm sorry I bothered. When I was in the police academy for firearms training, we did shooting practice at a variety of distances, anywhere from 3 feet up to I think about 25 to 30 yards. The one thing I do remember about firearms training is the range officer telling us that the vast majority of gun battles between the cop and the bad guy would take place at 20 feet or less, but we always practiced at the longer distances as well, just in case.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,057 Senior Member
    .......Sometimes in English, if it's not clearly specified, the word "you" can be misinterpreted as a personal and individual "you" rather that the "group you" that very formal English terms "one should follow the laws". The trend in modern American English is that the pronoun "one" is not used for informal or standard prose, only for very formal essays and reports. So when I said "you" I was intending the "group or general you" (collective) and not the personal "gator" you............
    I find that the vast majority of arguments that occur in this forum and others is that the person getting all pissed off about what someone else said was a misunderstanding or misinterpretation of what was actually said, but hey I'm not criticizing anyone.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,321 Senior Member
    Aieeee! Now bling Mr. Yu and Mr. Wong into discussion. Why, why, dey no post nating hea. Mr. Miyagi is not pleased.

Of all the talk in this thread, this one got a chuckle out of me. That's funny. :up:
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    Pretty sure their kids got together and had a daughter that I married. Sure feels like I married Yu Wong at times.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
2»