BLM lands closed

shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior MemberPosts: 2,032 Senior Member
Well, I was on the BLM website and found out that all BLM lands are closed to hunting. All outfitters with permits can't operate in or out of their camps on BLM property. BLM lands are closed to all activities. I can't seem to find out if Rancher's cattle can stay on grazing leases or not.
What a crock this is! I have my grandson coming out to Wyoming on his first ever Elk hunt, and this happens. I hunt almost exclusively on BLM land.
I think we have to clean house in upcoming elections, we have O'bummer and Both Political partys to blame for this. I believe National Forest lands are closed as well, but I haven't verified that.
Welcome to gridlock!

Replies

• olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Ditto for the National Wildlife Management Area that I hunt on. I don't blame the Rep. party, they're just trying to get us out from under ObummerCare.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Are the BLM and WMA personnel also furloughed? Or are the "enforcers" on the job? I'd probably go hunt if I wanted to, but I'm kinda roguish anti-government anyhow.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,032 Senior Member
    I just called the Wyoming G&F main office in Cheyenne and talked to a warden. He told me that the local BLM officials (Wyoming) were not enforcing that enactment. Only in BLM campgrounds and USFS campgrounds. But then I got the "Don't quote me" statement. I can't believe that the BLM website has all those closures posted, and that they won't be enforced. I hope someone can shed some light on what's really going on.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Go hunting anyway. I would.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    You now have opinions from two Georgia Country Boys who are conservative and weary of any government involvement in about anything, and you fellows out there in Wyoming, Montana and other states in that area are as conservative as we are. And, you have an opinion from someone involved in the issues. Go hunting and don't worry about it. I simply wish that an issue such as this "closing down the government" would lead to overthrow of the government BY PEACEFUL MEANS as is our right to do. Sadly, Dan Chamberlain is correct in what he said on the subject several weeks ago.....there just aren't enough of us left to do so. We no longer have a majority and I'm sick of what we call "our government" :vomit:
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    You now have opinions from two Georgia Country Boys who are conservative and weary of any government involvement in about anything, and you fellows out there in Wyoming, Montana and other states in that area are as conservative as we are. And, you have an opinion from someone involved in the issues. Go hunting and don't worry about it. I simply wish that an issue such as this "closing down the government" would lead to overthrow of the government BY PEACEFUL MEANS as is our right to do. Sadly, Dan Chamberlain is correct in what he said on the subject several weeks ago.....there just aren't enough of us left to do so. We no longer have a majority and I'm sick of what we call "our government" :vomit:

This Arkansas country boy concurs. go hunt.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,111 Senior Member
    This Arkansas country boy concurs. go hunt.
    cpj wrote: »
    Add a Missouri boy to the list that says " you, I'm going hunting. "
    And this Bama boy too
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,299 Senior Member
    And this mid-west boy. If I was still in Colorado I'd be going around the gates.

Sako
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,999 Senior Member
    Forrest seems to be open except for the fol:

Due to the lapse in agency funding, the sale of all types of permits (i.e., recreation, firewood, forest products, mineral materials for example) are suspended, recreation.gov reservations are suspended, and all federally owned recreation sites are closed. All offices are closed. These services will be available once funding is restored.

Law enforcement, fire suppression, and other essential services will continue without interruption.

This web site will remain available for public safety announcements and updates such as for wildfire, floods, and so forth. We will attempt to make timely updates about public health and safety on these web pages as appropriate. We sincerely regret this inconvenience
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    Apparently they aren't worried about closing down the hunting on BLM lands, I know there have been several folks hunting BLM ground even as late as today. Weather ran them out, not any BLM enforcement folk. It apparently doesn't affect the grazing leases either.
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    Went to the BLM's web and saw nothing about lands being shutdown. Here's their shutdown plans http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/upload/BLM-Contingency-Plan.pdf
    The USFWS lands are closed, but other than the feedgrounds at Jackson there shouldn't be any problems hunting here in WY.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,851 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Always found it easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission...

This! Worst that can happen is someone could ask you to leave, but more than likely that person is furloughed.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,513 Senior Member
    Go hunt. Who is gonna catch you? They're all laid off!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,222 Senior Member
    Go hunting. Remember to say, "I ain't seen nothin', ain't heard nothin', and don't know nothin' about no BLM land closure."
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    How are you gonna close down millions of acres of public land if there's no gate to lock?
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    How are you gonna close down millions of acres of public land if there's no gate to lock?

...I was up on NF today, didn't see any public announcements posted, don't really matter tho, because I just consider it supporting the "WWII Vets"...
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    :up:
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!

There are gates where I hunt, but I have a boltcutter....going hunting I am!
    Ranch13 wrote: »
    Went to the BLM's web and saw nothing about lands being shutdown. Here's their shutdown plans http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/upload/BLM-Contingency-Plan.pdf
    The USFWS lands are closed, but other than the feedgrounds at Jackson there shouldn't be any problems hunting here in WY.

Thanks Ranch, that link pretty much sums it up. Pretty much what the Wy G&F warden told me. There sure is conflicting info on the Government websites. It figures however. Thanks again.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,270 Senior Member

You know woods, our first revolution was pulled off by 3% of the population...3%......
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Go hunting, and if the possum police hassle you, remind them that you're hunting animals, not game cops, for now anyway!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Go hunting, and if the possum police hassle you, remind them that you're hunting animals, not game cops, for now anyway!
    Jerry

There's always next week.......they really don't want to push to damn hard..................
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,270 Senior Member
    There are gates where I hunt, but I have a boltcutter....going hunting I am!

Use the boltcutters, replace with your own padlock...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,999 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Use the boltcutters, replace with your own padlock...
    That would work back behind the house
    the short chain already has several locks, just cut a link out and put in another lock.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    That multiple-lock trick is one we use around home a lot when several people need access to an area. Rather than worry about everyone having one key, we just add our own padlock to the group, and everybody has his own lock to deal with. By stringing the padlocks together, any one lock can provide access. Works great for hunting leases, shared pastures, etc.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    Know a guy who went to get a drink out of a spring while hunting and found where one of the TWRA guys had done the same thing, leaving his key ring behind. He had access to all the fire roads for years after that. Pull up to the locked gate, unlock, drive through, re-lock the gate. Worked great until they changed all the locks about five years later.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,103 Senior Member
    Wife saw a post on FB that the LEO's ran some people off that were on the highway outside Mount Rushmore enjoying the view.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,222 Senior Member
    Seems to me the White House is a National Monument. Maybe the Park Police should evict everyone until the crisis is over. What say ye?
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,103 Senior Member
    The Blaze is posting they shut down the amber alert system, apparently the average folks are not bothered by the shut down, they need to scare 'em.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11