New Ruger SP101 .22lr.

justin10mmjustin10mm Senior MemberPosts: 688 Senior Member
Apparently G&A magazine is on the ball with this one because it is not even on the Ruger web sight at the moment. I can't seem to find a pic on the web yet but I just read the wright up in G&A by Wayne Van Zwoll, the main talking points are "fully adjustable" sights, 8 round capacity and a 4.3 inch half lug barrel on a SP101 frame. At first glance I really like it although I think if it came in .22 Magnum it would make for a better trail gun. It looks just like a miniature version of a Redhawk witch I think is a good thing.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    Haven't got the mag yet----but, I'll stick with a single six convertible.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • ericbericb Banned Posts: 392 Member
    if it is true then Ruger is really into watching this forum and its members' wants. Myself and few others have voiced the need for a Ruger to bring out a DA kit gun for a few years now. Cheers to Ruger if it is true :beer:
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Sounds interesting. Wouldn't mind seeing one.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    I want one too.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • WORLD TWORLD T Member Posts: 262 Member
    I read the article. I would buy one if the price was right. I would like it much better in 22 mag though.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    I'd definitely buy one in .22 magnum, .22lr. probably not.
    justin10mm wrote: »
    I'd definitely buy one in .22 magnum, .22lr. probably not.

i am the opposite. I would not have one in .22 WMR. Too noisy and pricey for the little gain in performance. That gun will be perfect for roaming the woods, hanging on your belt while fishing, and just plain fun plinking. I just hope they keep the price reasonable...in the $400 range.
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,379 Senior Member
    I'll be interested if the price is right. Not much can beat the $250 being asked locally for a new 22/45 though. Something in the low to mid $300 range, or less, and they've got my attention!
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    I'll be interested if the price is right. Not much can beat the $250 being asked locally for a new 22/45 though. Something in the low to mid $300 range, or less, and they've got my attention!

I have the 5.5" Bull Barrel 22/45. It is a great shooter...worth much more than the selling price. It has been hell on gophers this spring.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    justin10mm wrote: »
    Apparently G&A magazine is on the ball with this one because it is not even on the Ruger web sight at the moment. I can't seem to find a pic on the web yet but I just read the wright up in G&A by Wayne Van Zwoll, the main talking points are "fully adjustable" sights, 8 round capacity and a 4.3 inch half lug barrel on a SP101 frame. At first glance I really like it although I think if it came in .22 Magnum it would make for a better trail gun. It looks just like a miniature version of a Redhawk witch I think is a good thing.

****, now I have to buy another gun!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    I like Rugers and alway have.... I need to check this out too!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Member
    From Ruger's Facebook page
    An article on a Ruger SP101 in .22 LR was recently published in the August issue of Guns & Ammo Magazine, which just hit newsstands. This article was inadvertently run, as Ruger is not producing a SP101 in .22 LR at this time. This model is not available for sale and we are sorry that this article gives that impression. Both Ruger and Guns & Ammo Magazine apologize for any confusion.

Be sure to stayed tuned to Ruger.com and our Facebook page for the latest product launch information! When any new product is ready to hit the streets - you'll hear it from us first!

- June 30, 2011

No worries. I'm sure Dan will get to the bottom of this.
    To make a long post short here, ...
    sounds like the RUGER of old. How many years and how many articles were written about the GTI?
    From Ruger's Facebook page

No worries. I'm sure Dan will get to the bottom of this.

The Exact copy:

An article on a Ruger SP101 in .22 LR was recently published in the August issue of Guns & Ammo Magazine, which just hit newsstands. This article was inadvertently run, as Ruger is not producing a SP101 in .22 LR at this time. This model is not available for sale at the moment and we are sorry that this article gives that impression. Guns & Ammo accidentally "jumped the gun" and released this story prematurely; we hope to begin shipping this model by August 1, but we'll keep you posted!

Both Ruger and Guns & Ammo Magazine apologize for any confusion.

Be sure to stayed tuned to Ruger.com and our Facebook page for the latest product launch information! When any new product is ready to hit the streets - you'll hear it from US first!

So, is it presumptious that G&A had a prototype model. Still hoping they will be available before hunting season.

Sounds like Ruger is kinda peed off over this, of course it could be a smart media ploy to get the consumers lathered up and wanting one : Scroll down to the bottom of the comments

http://www.facebook.com/notes/ruger/just-to-clear-things-up/173308959400234?notif_t=note_reply
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,740 Senior Member
    Haven't got my issue yet. Will it have a steel/stainless frame, like the old 6-shot SP 101 .22s or will it be aluminum?
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    And I was about to get out the calculator to figure out how much blood I would have to sell in order to get one.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,101 Senior Member
    the original one didnt have AS sights, only adjustable for windage.

also, the trigger pull wasnt the best.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • WheelgunnerWheelgunner New Member Posts: 11 New Member
    I guess I waited too long to sell mine. After I got my S&W 17 the Ruger just sat in the safe.
    Smokeless powder and automatic pistols are merely passing fads that will simply distract you from the fine art of shooting.
  • trainmantrainman New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    have one comming next week good write up in mag
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    That is a good idy, not many (if any) affordable 22 revolvers available in that size anymore. I have a S&W Kit Gun, 6 shot model 63 (?) with 4" tube and it's SS.

One in .22 Magnum would sure enough be LOUD with a short bbl. But now with new bullet types in .22 Magnum, like 30-33 grains that really zip along and even heavier ones in 50 grains, you have a lot more options with the Magnum over the nominal 40 grainers.

It has been written/said a .22 Magnum outta a handgun gives you about the same performance that a .22 Long Rifles does from a rifle.

At any rate, I can see the usefulness of an SP 101 in .22 LR.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!