Actual self defense stories for distances beyond "personal space"?

Replies

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Take your #1 scenario. The guys across the street run away, 1/2 way down the block to retrieve shotguns to clean up a mess that they made. The distance is now 60+ yards and you are in your bunny slippers, they are running. If you hit one, you have gained time for you and the victim. If they duck and cover because you are REAL close to putting a hole in them, you have gained time.

Is it something you should do ALL the time? Nope. But when ever you have the chance take a few at a lot longer than you think you will ever need. Put it this way, bring the 1911 put a sil target at 100, put the front sight on its head, and squeeze. Its fun and as long as you are good with windage, you will hit it.

I'm perfectly down with doing some fun shooting at longer ranges and in fact enjoyed it. Part of my problem is that anything greater then 50 ft means an outdoor range. And that means my lugging my walker back and forth on a range fire zone several times to erect and retrieve targets. Yes I can invite a pal but I also like to be self sufficient and at the indoor range where I shoot I can handle all the mechanics myself. So an outdoor range, in addition to the drive time and physical access, is a ton of work for maybe 30 min of shooting.

Hence I generally focus on 50 ft or less. And yeah, I know that longer range self defense shoots DO occur but being a total city dweller, not even suburbs, most anything I encounter will entail some thug trying to carjack me or mug me. And I don't know the statistics but I'm guessing that 98% of any genuine, real world self defense events will occur at 25-30 ft or less.

The key issue is what constitutes a thread to me that's sufficient for me to use lethal force to respond. And it's going to be some thug out to steal my car at a stoplight. That is, for me, being a city guy.

I read the news and these "close encounters" are all I read about. Which is actually why this thread, where some have given instances of longer distance shoots. And again, the trailer park shoot occurred in a semi-rural environment. Where I'm not likely to go.

One more thing, and PLEASE guys don't think I'm bragging for pete's sake, I'm just describing my own situation -- as much of this thread deals with personal experiences and attributes...

I've always been a sort of "cold fish". Why, I don't know. But I've been nearly unshaken by a harrowing situation, such as a fire or flood or being shot at, or other fairly dangerous things. It's not that I'm "brave" because I'm definitely not. It's that I simply don't get upset or nervous or jittery or shaky. Probably not bravery, absolutely not, more likely because I'm so dense that I don't realize that I'm in danger.

In most every situation I can remember, gun related or otherwise, I just don't react excitedly until maybe 30 min after. But during the incident, I'm a cold cucumber. My wife saw this several times and since she was a very emotional gal, she often accused me of being uncaring or cold. I in fact did care, I just didn't show it by getting jitters or whatever.

And I tell you this with honesty, as I'm trying to describe how things are inside, I've been threatened, I've been shot at, I've been close to shooting somone on several occasions. And I was cold as ice during.

Why I'm saying this is NOT bragging. I really don't know why I'm this way but I am. But faced with, say, an attacker at a distance, I'm not likely to be too reactive and be prone to jitters, instead I'm likely to aim and fire with some decent precision. I'm of course like anybody else and cannot know with certainty about this, but my guess is that I'd be calm and therefore accurate.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 21,282 Senior Member
    Sam, I was referring to the recent "mass shootings" that have occurred at theaters, schools, and malls. Not some fictitious story.

Are you saying that you would not engage a threat like in the situations above simply because he might not have been shooting at you at the time? Shooting everyone else in the mall is OK, as long as it's not you? So, you would not shoot the guy across the theater who was killing others if you, yourself......we're not being fired upon?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Buford wrote: »
    I'm not going to argue with someone that has had more bad guy encounters than Bill Jordan.

Joking aside, I really don't know why this thing has been a factor in my life a lot more frequently than the vast number of LEOs or other gun people. As I said, I'm not a biker or druggie or crook nor do I associate with them or hand in bad places where there are lots of thugs. The bars I go to are nice places, and save that idiot who was trying to either mug me or just shake me down outside the bar one nice afternoon, none of these situations has occurred because I was, mmm, at a biker/drug bar or at Walt's meth lab.

I know you're joking about Bill Jordan and although I know who he was I have zero knowledge of his real world experiences "out there".

I just know that it's happened to me about 5-6 times. I sure didn't seek it out -- I lived in decent neighborhoods and the random streetwalker assault happened near our apartment because I guess the woman was busking or panhandling at some nearby tavern then went wandering drunkenly, maybe looking for loot? I dunno.

The ex-hubbie thing? He was active duty at Ft Bliss and she'd moved from east to west suburban El Paso to put some space between the regular Ft Bliss apartment units nearer the base. Our apartment there was pretty upscale, mostly professionals, teachers and techies.

Maybe it's my magnetic personality?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    You're just THAT awesome. You've had to draw your gun all those times. That's cool.

:-)

edit: yes, now I'm being "catty".

Ha!
    Yes Sam, I am screwing with you.

You KEEP bringing up these situations. Over and over as though there were something magical or special about them. As though they define your very being.

Yes, I am GOING to point that fact out.

It's hilarious. Sorry.

Acquire a sense of humor about it or get thicker skin. I'm not trying to kill you. No need to draw your gun.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,781 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    So... If you have PERSONAL self defense stories (shots fired or not) or stories that you know to be true and not just "I heard this once...." type of anecdote, that will provide good, clear accounts of self defense scenarios that involved distances greater than, oh, 30-40 feet, as per the 100 yds that I was told it's advisable to practice for, and these events involved civilians, please post them and I'll take them under advisement. Okay? And thanks in advance!

Obviously, I can't meet the criteria you establish for countering your self-imposed 5 yard limit. Almost no one could. But consider this:

The Luby's 'massacre' that took place in Killeen is a perfect example of an urban environment where an armed citizen might have been able to prevent a dozen deaths, by having a good self defense handgun and an ability to hit a small target beyond 15 yards. I had been in that particular Luby's prior to the event and I know for a fact that this is true. This was a situation where the perpetrator could have been shot from cover at 15-25 yards from any number of locations while he was systematically strolling through the place and executing blue-haired old ladies at point-blank range.

This is the event that brought CHL to Texas, and the one that opened my own eyes about the need to take extra measures for the protection of my family. There have been dozens of similar events in the intervening 25 years or so, and when you consider the kind of soft targets these cowards always choose for their grand send-offs, it is very likely that they will take place in a large building, where a long pistol shot could change the outcome.

Everybody has their own particular mindset about the kind of threat they think they will face, and we all tend to focus our little bits of 'training' to apply to those situations that we fear the most. But, in reality, we are probably making the same mistakes that generals keep repeating - gearing up to fight the last war, again - instead of accurately predicting what the next one will be like.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Dude. You should KNOW BETTER.
    I'll let this momentary lapse of reason slide. This time.

Hey it might go viral on the Internet...............:jester: pass-up "Don't Tase Me Bro"...
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    I've been threatened, I've been shot at, I've been close to shooting somone on several occasions. And I was cold as ice during.

That is sig worthy.

:worthy:

:cool2::beer:
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I don't even draw my pistol if they are within 20 yards. That's knife throwing distance.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    That is sig worthy.

SamW The ICE-MAN :cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::up::up::up:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    That is sig worthy.

Okay, I deserved that. I'm however trying to tell the truth. These situations weren't made up nor designed to thrill Z down to his toes. It however appears that very few of us have had genuine near-shoot experiences and hearing the personal "it happened to me" can maybe be instructive or at least offer an avenue for discussion.

And I do bring these incidents up, just as anyone else here is free to do the same, to describe their own personal experience. Even Z, who may wish to revamp his account such that "real people aren't named" sort of thing, which we all understand the need for. Should Z or other wish to defer and not describe a personal near-shoot event, fine. Should I however wish to do this, also fine. Those who don't want to read about it may be better served to skip any thread that I've started that seems to imply such events will be related.

I'm only trying to describe my actual feelings and reactions, gang. I'm not embellishing or tweaking, nor am I pretending. I didn't want it to come off as sounding petty but I guess it did. Sorry.

You're just THAT awesome. You've had to draw your gun all those times. That's cool.

edit: yes, now I'm being "catty".

Ha!

Meow. I've tried to explain that this isn't bragging. I am glad I was there to prevent some woman from being badly beaten, I suppose. Who wouldn't be? But I didn't seek this out, go vigilante around the neighborhood. I just happened to be there. If that's awesome, please elaborate on why, because I don't see it.

What was I supposed to do? Hide under the sofa till the screaming stopped? Run away, run away? Maybe you did, Z, and therefore that's why your own experiences remain unrevealed? All I can say is what happened to me, and how I reacted. Sorry if it doesn't jibe with your concept of proper armed self defense or armed response to a threat. Next time I'll be sure to PM you for advice prior to acting, 'kay?

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,454 Senior Member
    Typical Sam, I'm willing to bet more here have than you realize. The difference is that some of us try NOT to bring them up.

Let's see going back a while:
    * Knife to my throat
    * Knife pulled on me X3 other occasions
    * Shot at x2 (one close enough I heard the bullet "buzz" as it went by)
    * Gun pulled on me

Actually only have one instance where I thought I was going to have to shoot someone to protect someone else. Neighbor's druggie boyfriend went through their bay window. Was Neighbor, her sis-in-law and s-i-l's 8yo.
    Luckily the LEO's arrived before more than a bunch of yelling and cussing had ensued, I was outside with a light and a G-19 when LEO's arrived
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

bisley wrote: »
    Obviously, I can't meet the criteria you establish for countering your self-imposed 5 yard limit. Almost no one could. But consider this:

The Luby's 'massacre' that took place in Killeen is a perfect example of an urban environment where an armed citizen might have been able to prevent a dozen deaths, by having a good self defense handgun and an ability to hit a small target beyond 15 yards. I had been in that particular Luby's prior to the event and I know for a fact that this is true. This was a situation where the perpetrator could have been shot from cover at 15-25 yards from any number of locations while he was systematically strolling through the place and executing blue-haired old ladies at point-blank range.

You make some good points here, bis. I chose the 100yd distance because someone else recommended practicing SELF DEFENSE shooting skills to that distance. So I didn't set the criteria, I'm only asking for accounts that fall within the criteria set by others. Whereas my own criteria are for closer distances.

But the Luby's shooting is an excellent example (so is the mall shooting and theater shooting). Would I defer from trying to take out the thug because he wasn't shooting at me? Of course not. I wasn't threatened those 4 times that I prevented a woman from being assaulted, and in 3 of the 4 cases, I knew none of the "actors" in the situation.

So, yes, I certainly would fire to stop the assault on innocent people. (Remember that I'm not gonna discuss the actual shooting in which I was involved -- sorry Z, to not tizzle your toes and provide you more stuff to glom onto).

However, a Luby's isn't 100 yards wide. But 50 feet? Yeah, and yes I DO practice at 50 feet a lot, it's just that I concentrate my self defense practice on a closer range. But 50 feet is nicely within my aim and fire parameters. Just not 100 yds. And again, I didn't pick the 100 yards, others did. I was just asking for stories in which the self defense shoot was at about that distance.

And yes, the "outbuilding" story does fit that criteria, and I specifically thanked those who posted it and I also said that I'd give it some thought. And well, after some thought, I think that maybe I've been too restrictive in keeping my hardest focus on 25 or fewer feet, and that I should extend the hard-core (which phrase should make Z shudder with secret chilly delight) practice to 50 feet. A good idea.

So I do think that maybe 50, and not 25 feet, may be the better far-distance range for SD practice. At the same time, I think I'll take a pass on the 100yd limit. I'm just not very persuaded that I'll find myself in defense of outbuildings anytime soon.

knitepoet wrote: »
    Typical Sam, I'm willing to bet more here have than you realize. The difference is that some of us try NOT to bring them up.

Let's see going back a while:
    * Knife to my throat
    * Knife pulled on me X3 other occasions
    * Shot at x2 (one close enough I heard the bullet "buzz" as it went by)
    * Gun pulled on me

knite, that's all I was looking for, a couple of personal accounts. Details aren't essential and thanks for mentioning the situations -- scary.

My only point is that most of these seem to have occurred at 25 feet or less (maybe the shooting was further away). Which goes to indicate what I'm saying all along, that the vast percentage of self defense / person serious threats occur at close range.

Understand that I'm not trying to assign "vigilante mindset" or "blame" or any other determination on the incidents, because this isn't the point of this thread. The point of the thread is to ask about self defense civilian incidents that occurred at, say 100yds.

So I honestly do appreciate your candor and your mentioning this.

I don't "try" to bring up my experience, but I do however think that such true stories can lend some personal directness to the otherwise interesting but usually theoretical situations we read about in some gun mags. That's all.

And of course the thread's hidden agenda: For me to bring light to the heathens (that is, to scatter exciting and sexy anecdotes onto Z's breakfast cereal), otherwise opening the brilliant hue of my vigilante buffoonery into his otherwise empty and dreary existence. Which it must be, else why would he so idolize and (may I proffer) in some misguided way, "worship" me, my thrilling life, and my stunning accomplishments? For he's even taken time to commemorate his admiration for my brave deeds that he's dedicated his sigline to me, shared now with Elmer Keith, whom I admire. I can only now bask in the glorious sunshine of his loyal and faithful discipleship, his diligence, his apparent awe at my forthrightness. But Z, please send money now, okay? I may then divulge even more sterling anecdotes from my treasure trove, second only to those of Donald Trump or Jesse Ventura. I could only hope.

And of course the thread's hidden agenda: For me to bring light to the heathens (that is, to scatter exciting and sexy anecdotes onto Z's breakfast cereal), otherwise opening the brilliant hue of my vigilante buffoonery into his otherwise empty and dreary existence. Which it must be, else why would he so idolize and (may I proffer) in some misguided way, "worship" me, my thrilling life, and my stunning accomplishments? For he's even taken time to commemorate his admiration for my brave deeds that he's dedicated his sigline to me, shared now with Elmer Keith, whom I admire. I can only now bask in the glorious sunshine of his loyal and faithful discipleship, his diligence, his apparent awe at my forthrightness. But Z, please send money now, okay? I may then divulge even more sterling anecdotes from my treasure trove, second only to those of Donald Trump or Jesse Ventura. I could only hope.

Less enamored with and more entertained by I would really say. Cheap entertainment at it's best. You can't buy the stuff you come up with. It's all natural.......raw comedy on the interweb. You are Steely Sam, The Knight in Shining Armor.

Keep it up. Glad you finally acquired a sense of humor.

:popcorn:
    Meow. I've tried to explain that this isn't bragging. I am glad I was there to prevent some woman from being badly beaten, I suppose. Who wouldn't be? But I didn't seek this out, go vigilante around the neighborhood. I just happened to be there. If that's awesome, please elaborate on why, because I don't see it.

What was I supposed to do? Hide under the sofa till the screaming stopped? Run away, run away? Maybe you did, Z, and therefore that's why your own experiences remain unrevealed? All I can say is what happened to me, and how I reacted. Sorry if it doesn't jibe with your concept of proper armed self defense or armed response to a threat. Next time I'll be sure to PM you for advice prior to acting, 'kay?

Come on, you can do better than this. Your last post that I quoted above was much more creative. I liked that one. This is a vain attempt to egg someone on. So beneath your ability. I'm not even mildly tempted.

Remember, a sense of humor helps on this forum. :wink:
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Less enamored with and more entertained by I would really say. Cheap entertainment at it's best. You can't buy the stuff you come up with . It's all natural.......raw comedy on the interweb. You are Steely Sam, The Knight in Shining Armor.

Sure ya can. Type in Sam Waas on Amazon books.

:tooth:
    Eli wrote: »
    Sure ya can. Type in Sam Waas on Amazon books.

:tooth:

Screw fiction. This stuff is REAL! Ha! :cool2:
    I figured out a long time ago that it was a total waste of time to tell unsolicited, undocumented stories about my 'exploits,' such as they are. To a stranger, or anyone who doesn't know you very well, they are just stories. Most folks will not really believe you, so if you will be hurt by that, it's better to just keep them to yourself, unless someone insists. Even then, it will probably turn out to be an unsatisfying experience. I'm pretty sure this is why combat veterans will often only talk about combat with other combat veterans - it is just too insulting to try to explain things to someone who will never understand, no matter how well intentioned they are. In a way, I guess you could say that they develop the attitude that the uninitiated are 'unworthy' of knowing what they know.

Of course, as a person gets older, they sometimes will tell their stories, anyway...because they want to hear them again, themselves. :tooth:
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    I feel sure you are all aware that over here our self defence carry is limited to a shopping bag or a Cockney Rhyming Slang Translator [ Buffy edition] neither are for long range use.
    If you are lucky and live a good life, you can apply and obtain what we call a LPCS card [Life's Practical Common Sense].
    This I carry at all times but use rarely, I prefer my 'acting like a pillock' card myself.

And so to the tale;
    Sitting on the train in the station with my family [returning from a theatre outing in the big City], at the far end of the carriage four merry chaps on the way home to a nearby Welsh town decide to have a rag at a few local girls on the platform.
    Now I must admit I felt for the lads, for they where getting the worst of it from the girls.

Then the gas turns up just a bit.
    A gent, sitting down their end, decides to stand and ask the lads, in a big city way to ''shut up or the train will never move'' or words to that effect.
    The four lads must have thought ''we have more of a chance against him than the girls'' and moved towards him, I think to ask what he meant by ''shut up''.

Enter the 'acting like a pillock' card holder, closing the distance and without brandishing once, I was able to get three out of the group and the gent to reseat themselves nicely.
    The fourth member of the group was however turning a tad un-nicely. Retreating slowly, I was just on the point of pulling my ''you are not really going to hit an old man in front of his wife, are you?'' card on him when a constable entered the carriage and asked the group to leave the train so that the rest of us could go home.
    Not once did I consider brandishing my Cockney Rhyming Slang Translator [ Buffy edition.] although the shopping bag did enter my mind.
    Horses for courses?

PS.
    Of course, as a person gets older, they sometimes will tell their stories, anyway...because they want to hear them again, themselves. :tooth:

And again,and again.
    This is me.:up:

PPS;
    Pillock.
    Noun for Idiot, fool. Originally a slang term for the penis but fairly inoffensive now this meaning has been forgotten.
    Not in my case.:p

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,053 Senior Member
    I figured out a long time ago that it was a total waste of time to tell unsolicited, undocumented stories about my 'exploits,' such as they are. To a stranger, or anyone who doesn't know you very well, they are just stories. Most folks will not really believe you, so if you will be hurt by that, it's better to just keep them to yourself, unless someone insists. Even then, it will probably turn out to be an unsatisfying experience. I'm pretty sure this is why combat veterans will often only talk about combat with other combat veterans - it is just too insulting to try to explain things to someone who will never understand, no matter how well intentioned they are. In a way, I guess you could say that they develop the attitude that the uninitiated are 'unworthy' of knowing what they know.
    Pretty much so---or----otherwise they think they have a better story.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    All the big chips are always at the top of the bag, the rocks "rise" in Ireland, you are more likely to have a car accident near your home,and most SD situations occur at short range. Spend 90% of your time on short range and the rest further out just 'cause it's fun, different, and not impossible.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,434 Senior Member
    I got in a fight in HS once, didn't have a gun on me though.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I was in this bar once and a stripper came up to me and said...

Oh wait, this is a SD thread.

Never mind. Back to your regular programming.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    shush wrote: »
    Not once did I consider brandishing my Cockney Rhyming Slang Translator

No doubt this requires great restraint for anyone who was reared within hearing distance of the Bow Bells. :wink:

I've often wondered what life is like in a civilized country. :tooth:
    Yes Sam, I am screwing with you.

You KEEP bringing up these situations. Over and over as though there were something magical or special about them. As though they define your very being.

Yes, I am GOING to point that fact out.

It's hilarious. Sorry.

Acquire a sense of humor about it or get thicker skin. I'm not trying to kill you. No need to draw your gun.

Well, IF the subject of the thread is, duh, "personal experiences in self defense" or "actual self defense stories" then, yeah, I may recount these as examples of what can happen to an ordinary guy. I mention them SPECIFICALLY because my lifestyle and behavior is quite ordinary. And if it could happen to me under very normal circumstances, it's also something that the average gun owner might be interested in thinking about.

If the thread is "rats I shot at the city dump" or "my latest AR build" or "favorite raccoon jokes" then I PROMISE I won't clutter the thread with useless stuff about actual real-world self defense experiences. This is of course the real world and discussing incidents that occur to ordinary people would not be of any value to other gun owners in a self defense thread. Right?

I was in this bar once and a stripper came up to me and said...

Oh wait, this is a SD thread.

Never mind. Back to your regular programming.

****! I was soooo ready! Sigh.

Less enamored with and more entertained by I would really say. Cheap entertainment at it's best. You can't buy the stuff you come up with. It's all natural.......raw comedy on the interweb. You are Steely Sam, The Knight in Shining Armor.

Keep it up. Glad you finally acquired a sense of humor.

:popcorn:

Just buy my books, okay? Cheap on Kindle, a fun quick read, and fiction, gen-yew-wine made-up-stuff but kinda entertaining, I've heard told.

And you misspelled "its".

Dr. db wrote: »
    All the big chips are always at the top of the bag, the rocks "rise" in Ireland, you are more likely to have a car accident near your home,and most SD situations occur at short range. Spend 90% of your time on short range and the rest further out just 'cause it's fun, different, and not impossible.

Very much something I can agree with, doc. Thanks for the sensibility here, thus much further lacking.