Albino Moose

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 10,726 Senior Member
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/albino-moose-killing-in-cape-breton-outrages-mi-kmaq-1.1928740

Heck of a trophy, I would have pulled the trigger. Scroll through the pictures tab on the side of the main photo, there is an awesome field picture.
I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Totally agree. I would have put it down too!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    I am waiting for the ACLU to come out and endorse the hunters actions on the basis that why should a white moose get preferential treatment................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Pretty rough comments.

I'd a shot it. And kept every last bit of it.
    Don't want people to shoot white moose? Make it illegal. Till then, piss off.
    The hunter was even nice enough to offer the hide for ceremonial purposes. I wouldn't have even bothered with that. Albino deer are illegal to shoot in Michigan. I know that. So be it. If it is such a big deal, make it a law.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,726 Senior Member
    Pretty rough comments.

I'd a shot it. And kept every last bit of it.
    Don't want people to shoot white moose? Make it illegal. Till then, piss off.

But, but, it MIGHT be one of my dead relatives trying to send me a message, oh wait, it's just a moose.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,666 Senior Member
    I'd have shot it as well.

There is a Piebald whitetail doe running around my neighborhood. If I saw that on my hunting lands, I would shoot it as well.

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,789 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    I am waiting for the ACLU to come out and endorse the hunters actions on the basis that why should a white moose get preferential treatment................

Yeah. Shooting only brown moose seems like preferential treatment, to me.

Nice moose with a really nice set of antlers. That should provide a bunch of meat. People protesting would protest anyway; it's what they do.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 388 Member
    Hardest part of reading all that? You don't see anyone say anything about the number of moose taken by natives, without needing a license. Here in New Brunswick which is one province west, we get a 3 day moose season by lottery. The natives get as many moose as they want, no questions asked. Have stood next to Lands and Forest officer while he checked my license as a truck drives by with 5 moose in back. "Those are guys from the reserve" Next day drive up the highway towards reserve and all the meat is on sale from the back of a truck.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Albinos occur in all species of animals and probably birds as well. Usually albinos don't survive very long since they stand out like a sore thumb becoming easy prey to predators. Piebald deer are fairly common, and pockets of this color variation are fairly common all across the Whitetail range.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    Of course, I'm a butthole.
    I'm the guy who would shoot a white buffalo if it was legal to do so.

Why not? The Plains tribes would have done the same thing. Tennessee passed a law against taking albino game several years ago. Stupid reaction to placate bunny-hugging idiots who were raising cane about the "rare" white deer. Genetic anomalies do not rare or endangered make. They are just anomalies. Too bad it hacked off the local tribe, but, nice trophy. Given the chance I would have done the same thing. If that makes me a butthole then so be it.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 403 Member
    Ya know what?

Nature will make more albinos. Take the animal, collect and use the meat. Views the situation as being very unique - you enjoyed an aspect of nature not afforded to a lot of others hunters. Take pics. If you raised your kids right, your grand kids will enjoy the story.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    If iot was legal, it is not in Tennessee, I would harvest it, save the meat, have the head mounted, and donated to a local Moose Lodge............Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 698 Senior Member
    The guy was within the law, that being said, personally, if I had of known the significance of the animal I would have passed on the shot, but, seeing all the upset caused, maybe they ought to take albino animals off the game schedule, might save everyone concerned a bit of grief.
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    I wonder if the so-called natives would have shot it if they had a limited hunting season like us. If you can take all you want then it is easy to cry foul on this man. Given the attitude of the "natives" I would probably have kept every scrap myself.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    We have become a society of busybodies, half of whom make a career out of telling people what they shouldn't do, without knowing anything about the subject they are preaching on.

As far as I'm concerned, if it was legal - case closed. If it wasn't legal - it should of been. The guy who shot it won the grand prize. There will be another.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    What I like was all the comments on Facebook saying this moose was a "miracle". I had to post....

I asked what a human child, born with albinism would be called? A miracle?

No hits on the comment last I checked.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,867 Senior Member
    I'm the guy who would shoot a white buffalo if it was legal to do so.

You would shoot Uncle Ted's deer...
    Snowflake. I would call it snowflake.

Ok, back to work....

Qtip would also work.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Qtip would also work.

I would call it dinner.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    I would call it dinner.

An albino human??!?

Dr Lector, DAT chu? :tooth:
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    LOL.....I almost spit Coca-Cola on my computer. Buffco is not all there.
    Buffco wrote: »
    An albino human??!?

Dr Lector, DAT chu? :tooth:

Can I borrow some fava beans?:wink: