Nuisance bear

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 4,558 Senior Member
I used to have a dozen giant white turkeys. Each weighs about 40 lbs. They are ready for slaughter and I planned on putting them in the freezers this weekend. Monday morning, it looks like a bomb went off in the turkey pen. Bloody feathers, carcasses, and wounded turkeys litter the pasture. The evidence shows it is a bear and not coyotes responsible for the carnage. I put out a camera and he shows up last night to pick through the remains of my turkey flock.

This is 75 yards from my front door. He hasn't shown up during shooting hours and I can't trap him legally.

Did I mention he's wrecking my fence?

bear_zps8158ecd2.jpg
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Replies

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Coupla things, you need some yard dogs. And y'all don't put your fowl up at night?
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,663 Senior Member
    Instead of Turkey for thanksgiving, I guess you are going to have bear.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,458 Senior Member
    SSS..... neighbors close?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,558 Senior Member
    Coupla things, you need some yard dogs. And y'all don't put your fowl up at night?

The wife will not let me have yard dogs. She says winter is too harsh.

I have never put turkeys up at night. They have a rain shelter. The turkeys are only around for 6 months. Chickens have permanent shelter inside a barn.

Ayn Rand
    jbp-ohio wrote: »

Quarter mile. Bowtech Patriot would do the trick.

If it was coyotes, I could shoot them at night, trap them, even poison. A bear is a GAME animal and there are rules I am supposed to follow.

Ayn Rand
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    Is it in season? Can you get a tag?

That bear would have to go.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,740 Senior Member
    I'm just glad it wasn't Ginger I like her.
    Biden say's......... oh never mind you already know.

All joking aside it would be me again him after that
    Buffco wrote: »
    Is it in season? Can you get a tag?

That bear would have to go.

It is bear season and I have a tag.

Ayn Rand
    CaliFFL wrote: »

Problem solved. Meat, soap, rug, what's not to love?
    Problem solved. Meat, soap, rug, what's not to love?

Tell me how to get him to show up during legal shooting light, and it gets a lot less complicated.

Ayn Rand
    Tell me how to get him to show up during legal shooting light, and it gets a lot less complicated.

Okay, i am not advocating or even suggesting that you or anyone else not follow the game laws. I follow the game laws. Mostly because I figure wildlife biologists, (and I'm married to one), know what's better for the overall herd than I do.
    Having said that, my wife has done autopsies on deer but has never dressed, skinned, quartered or otherwise cleanly and properly prepared one for processing. And you ain't dealing with a herd of bears.
    This animal has taken food off your family's table. Food you spent hard earned money feeding all this time and were counting on for at least part of your Winter's meat.
    We have a system here where you can apply for a depredation permit. if approved you can ignore seasons. I have no clue whether you can spotlight anything.
    Again, I am not advocating breaking any laws but i do like your sig line.
    And since you do your own processing your dilemma is much less problematic than mine would be.
    Also I always think, with a tag, and here you have to "check" the animal you harvest. So it still gets counted to satisfy people like my wife.
    That's my $0.02
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,834 Senior Member
    Don't you folks have depredation permits out there? Under that type of permit the rules are generally more ahhhhhhhhh flexible..
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Problem solved.

Only you and the bear will know.
    Cali, I've been thinking about my yard dog suggestion. I think I'm wrong for your situation. Remember the apple eating buck you had? He would have been chased off by the yard dogs. Now if you don't want to hunt your own place that's fine. Also, many yarddogs create issues with neighbors depending how wide ranging they are.
    But to be clear, I don't mean to give the impression that I'm talking down to you. I know you live closer to the land than I do. And i like to think we live pretty close.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Don't you folks have depredation permits out there? Under that type of permit the rules are generally more ahhhhhhhhh flexible..

We have the depredation permits, but they do not issue them while the season is open. They encourage us to fill our tags. If the property owner is not a hunter, F&G will set a trap to relocate the problem. I don't want that. I want to kill this bear myself. All other hunting takes a back seat to this goal.

I salvaged the wounded birds and they are comfortable in my freezer. This is the only bird that wasn't completely consumed. The rest were only feet and feathers. Five birds are uninjured and moved into my chicken coop, much closer to my house. If the bear gets into them, I should hear it and kill him. Period.

DSC09261_zpsefef816f.jpg

Ayn Rand
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,725 Senior Member
    I am surprised you cannot kill him on the spot for destroying your stuff, that bear is going to be nothing but trouble for any property he walks on, maybe you can find a sympathetic CO to help you with your problem.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    That is a bear you need to get rid of before it strikes again. Any neighbors have trouble with him at an earlier time?
    I'd try a honey burn to see if that might draw him
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    You can't put down a nuisance animal there? In Texas you can shoot a an animal if it is destroying livestock, crops or property.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,663 Senior Member

Stake out a turkey, but only during hunting hours
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    cpj wrote: »
    Wait. I missed the part about them weighing 40 pounds.

That's a BFT!

Three guesses on the easist way to slaughter one...

Ayn Rand
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member

Lead him out into an open space with some corn or feed, then chop off his head with a sword while he's eating, a la the Discovery Channel show "Alaska: The Last Frontier"?
    Hang it.

I've slaughtered one 40 white turkey. Wife bought it as a poult cause she thought it was cute.

Me and daddy butchered it a few months later. Holy crap that was a huge bird. It started laying eggs and we ate those, too.
    I've tried both methods mentioned above.

The sword (I used a sharpened heavy brush machete) only works if you are an experienced swordsman. I am not. One bad swing, and trust me, it is traumatizing for all.
    The hanging works but I prefer to bleed the bird as much as possible.

I use a 20 gauge coach at near point blank range. Takes the head right off. Quickly roll the bird onto its back and it will flap and bleed out in 30 seconds.

ETA: we also eat the turkey eggs.

Ayn Rand
    I placed her head on a stump while dad held the back legs up. A machete did the trick but I wouldn't have been able to hold her down and chop by myself.
    ORly?

Snuff film
    Let a bear in the pen?

Ah Chris, you put the laughter in slaughter.

Ayn Rand

let Buffy in the pen and they will show you
    Weatherby wrote: »
    let Buffy in the pen and they will show you

They would just commit suicide due to shame.
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 708 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »

This!!!