Tax stamped cleared - silencer received

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 7,224 Senior Member
I called up the LGS today and found out that my Federal Tax Stamp arrived at the store. That meant that my Yankee Hill Machine, Co. Cobra 40 silencer for my XD-40 was ready for pickup.

Silencer.jpg

I got it out to the range today after work and tried it with some sub-sonic loads. I also tried using it dry and wet. When run dry, the device is rated at 27dB noise reduction. While that was pretty drastic alone, the performance was downright remarkable when I ran it wet. There are no muffs needed at all when you add about a cap full of water into the tube and swirl it around. Most of the noise seemed to be the action slapping home.

This is going to be a fun sidearm for the coyotes.
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,943 Senior Member
    Be veeewy veeewy quiet. . .

Gads I hate California.:banned:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Very neat toy. I've always preferred cans on long guns but that should be fun for you.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,651 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Be veeewy veeewy quiet. . .

Gads I hate California.:banned:

Agreed.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    Someday I would like to have a .22 pistol or perhaps a 1911 with a can, just because... It looks like a blast to shoot (or lack thereof?)!
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Man I sure do want to pick up a couple of cans for plinking, just one of those thing I just haven't got to yet. I get jealous everytime somebody gets one!
    :yousuck:
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,224 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Very neat toy. I've always preferred cans on long guns but that should be fun for you.

Yeah, it's a good time and gives me a reason to keep loading some soft rounds for the .40 cal. The only other silencer I've seen shot was on a .223 bolt gun that a guy shot a duiker with in Africa. He did it with factory ammo, so it wasn't sub-sonic but it was quiet enough not to bang your ears to death without muffs.

Someday I would like to have a .22 pistol or perhaps a 1911 with a can, just because... It looks like a blast to shoot (or lack thereof?)!

I've heard that the good .22 cal silencers make the gun so quiet that it's laughable. I may end up getting for a .22 one day myself. There are a few guns I've looked at with low-offfset barrels that would be great for fitting a can while not obstructing the sights.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    COOL!!! I like that:applause::drool2:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    That's a cool set up there Six! I need at least one of those just because. I hate a bunch of noise anyway, LOL! Have fun Bro!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    timc wrote: »
    Man I sure do want to pick up a couple of cans for plinking, just one of those thing I just haven't got to yet. I get jealous everytime somebody gets one!
    :yousuck:

The wait sucks but if you set up a specialized trust, you can shave off a month or more of the wait. The total time it took to process was from around April 24th to June 17th.

You're right about making for fun plinking. This thing will make for much more comfortable shooting since you can skip the muffs on the hot days.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Neat little accessorie you got there Six-gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COOL looking too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They make one of them for those F-16's you fly? hahahhahaahhah:beer:
    "It is what it is":usa:
    Nah - in wartime, we still get issued M9s. :vomit:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,659 Senior Member
    Looks like a fun set up Luis :yousuck:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    Coooool!

:beer: / Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,663 Senior Member
    That is the same suppressor that I have in .45 caliber. The YHM Cobra is one of the best deals on the market for a pistol caliber can.

Congrats, and welcome to the tax stamp ranks.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    God how did I miss this one before!:yousuck:
    Been wanting one of those for a long time. Actually the only reason I have not sold off my useless AR 9mm pistol is that I keep thinking someday it will be a suppressed AR 9mm SBR.

See, there's a good idea for making something out of one of those pistol caliber AR handguns. I have to imagine that a 9mm with a silencer would be incredibly quiet.

bullsi1911 wrote: »
    That is the same suppressor that I have in .45 caliber. The YHM Cobra is one of the best deals on the market for a pistol caliber can.

Congrats, and welcome to the tax stamp ranks.

You're absolutely right on the value with the YHM silencers. The only other option at my LGS was an Advancement Armament equivalent, but it was .45 caliber that was rated at the exact same 27 dB dry noise reduction rating as this one. Apparently, AA doesn't make a .40 caliber version, they just sell the .45 version with an adapter threaded to fit a .40 barrel. To me, that means if I used it on a .40, it wouldn't work as well, and you're paying about $200 more.