Camo for your hunting guns?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,869 Senior Member
Just wondering IF you camo your hunting guns, and if so HOW?

I'm using this stuff this season
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HFTBXW/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At 3" wide by 15' long, I wrapped 2 rifles and my XP-100 with one roll (from muzzle back to the scope and the scope bells, anything I might be sticking out a shooting house window)

And for the record, I have no connection to this seller

edited to add this pic:
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,078 Senior Member
    The only one I have that's camo is my turkey gun and it came from the factory that way
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    I 'wrapped' my T3 7mm08 for my last hunt. Although it has a camo stock the area where I was hunting was a dim, gloomy place and the colour of the stock appeared too 'whitish'. I found an old camo gun sock that I used to use on my 1187 ( it was a wood stocked premier skeet which predated the current camo/plastic stocked ones I now have). I cut it into two parts so that the guns action would be clear. It worked like a treat.

Here is a pic of it with its last kill. Note how light the camo stock is compared with the darker 'sock'.

Woodhilllastday2013055_zps338cbe34.jpg

I don't like putting sticky backed camo tape on my guns as, if it is left on, it can hold moisture and cause rust to develop. It would probably pay to take it off at the end of the season Paul.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    No.........then I'll never find it when I lean it against a tree when I imitate a bear in the woods!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,066 Senior Member
    All of my stuff that is camoed is cerakoted.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,869 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »

I don't like putting sticky backed camo tape on my guns as, if it is left on, it can hold moisture and cause rust to develop. It would probably pay to take it off at the end of the season Paul.
    This isn't "sticky backed" it's "krinkled" in such a way that it only grabs itself, sort of like velcro but in a different manner.
    I made sure to wipe the blued steel down with an excellent protectant before I wrapped them
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,640 Senior Member
    No.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    knitepoet wrote: »
    This isn't "sticky backed" it's "krinkled" in such a way that it only grabs itself, sort of like velcro but in a different manner.
    I made sure to wipe the blued steel down with an excellent protectant before I wrapped them

Cool.

A few years back one of my cousins gave me his 10/22 (stainless/synthetic) to sort out. His brother had covered the Barrel in sticky backed camo tape which had been on there for a number of years. When I took it off there were all sorts of marks underneath including rust. It took me a while and a lot of cleaning to get it back to looking good. I have used tape on some of my 'work' guns but only as a temporary measure and took it off as soon as the job was done.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I have just two with camo stocks only.
    Ruger 77Mark II in .243
    Ruger77MarkII.jpg

Remington 700 in .308
    A587391D-5563-414D-BE40-C167BD67D77D-1556-00000416455CB29F_zpsd8858196.jpg
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,731 Senior Member
    I had my wife sew up a camo sleve for the fore end of my DPMS AR-10:

overwatch3.jpg
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    One thing I should mention is that the camo 'sock' did cut down on the noise that the synthetic stock can make when pushing through the 'gnarly' stuff. That deer was taken at 20yds in thick scrub and didn't even know I was there.

For my 'work' guns I normally have camo stocks in synthetic as they get treated like tools.........and I don't worry about babying them.

I do love the classical look of wood/blued though.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Simple fix...
    17HMR3.jpg
    Guncover.jpg
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    I posted this earlier this morning, but didn't push the right button to get it up in print, so I'll try again now. If it doesn't come through this time I'll sit down, shut up and accept it as being what should happen!!

Camo in a hunting environment:

Aint none of 'yall going to agree with me on this, but I know I'm right about it! Camo clothing and on a firearm is designed to aesthetically please those who have it, but does nothing to offset wildlife that may see it. This was proven as far back as the 1960's in special studies conducted at the U of Ga School of Forestry/Wildlife Management. I was there, and I remember! Deer, especially, will not notice a solid cover, even white, until it moves! The one exception to this is the color BLUE! For some reason deer, especially, have a deep fear of BLUE! The U of GA currently has a research project underway studying deer collisions/headlight colors blue.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    No camo for me, I even hunt with a blued firearm that has a wood stock.

On a side note, I always get a little chuckle when I look at some of these hunting pictures from magazines. The client is decked out head to toe in camo, with a camo rifle. The guide, on the other hand, frequently isn't wearing a single square inch of camo on him.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,690 Senior Member
    My coyote rifle has a camo stock (savage axis .223) and my 870 super mag is all camo. All my other guns are blued and wood or synthetic black.
    Except for the Vanguard and it is blue and olive drab.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Rich, I don't doubt that in the least. HOWEVER, I like the camo on my rifles to eliminate the shine from the SS or polished bluing.
    I feel that the dulled finish of the camo wrap helps make the movement of getting the rifle up and aligned with the targeted critter SLIGHTLY less likely to be noticed

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    The only one I have that's camo is my turkey gun and it came from the factory that way

I'm not a huge turkey hunter but when I go I use my 870 express. No camo but it's definitely a full matte finish. For deer I really don't think about it much. But that's probably one reason I never bought a Browning. They're nice to look at but too shiny for a working gun.
    My bow came from the factory camo'd.
    But when I was a kid I tried the camo tape stuff. Once I bought this plastic slip on type deal for my rifle, it even had zippers. It never really fit right and it and the tape were more trouble than they were worth, to me at least.

I didn't know it came in camo but I am familiar with the product kp is referring to and I'd expect it to be completely non-marring and a breeze to remove. It has no sticky residue at all.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs

I didn't know it came in camo but I am familiar with the product kp is referring to and I'd expect it to be completely non-marring and a breeze to remove. It has no sticky residue at all.
    So far it has been both :up:

I assume it's the same stuff they use instead of tape for bandages and so forth. I've never tried to reuse that stuff but it seems like it might be reusable?
    I assume it's the same stuff they use instead of tape for bandages and so forth. I've never tried to reuse that stuff but it seems like it might be reusable?
    Yep, that's the stuff. It appears it could be reusable if you're CAREFUL removing it. Otherwise it just ends up in a wadded up mess

Well, regardless, if you're wanting to temporarily camo a gun that stuff would be hard to beat.
    I love seeing the hunting shows where the host is decked out head to toe in the latest foliage camo......................while sitting in a box blind or pop up tent.

Really?

I usually just wear earth tone cloths. The tone and shade being the key. Neutral tone, regardless the color. The few camo clothing I have left is mostly cold weather gear, like Cabelas Berber Fleece. That stuff rocks!!

Don't like blue, huh? How did I ever kill so many deer wearing blue jeans? Hell, how did the professional hunter Chuck Adams ever get the North American Super Slam with a bow back in the 80s wearing his signature blue jeans with bleach streaks? Amazing. Must have scared the deer to death with the color blue.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    Remember the first hunting shows, when the guides usually were wearing flannel shirts and blue jeans with a cowboy hat?
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    Deep fear of blue? Hey, I'm cool with the scientific research and results and all. I wasn't there and I don't know, other than having stalked deer in blue jeans without issue. But, I have one question. If deer have a "DEEP FEAR OF BLUE"...............how does a blue sky not just give them a coronary?
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    I think I might give that stuff a try, Paul. Thanks.
    When sitting in a tree stand, moving my slug gun is usually what gets me noticed.
    BTW, bow hunting in tree stands is the only time I worry about full camo.
    I've found that in full camo, a deer can see me moving, but not make me out as a person, and spook.
    If I'm not fully camoed, if they notice me, they're gone.
    jbohio wrote: »
    I think I might give that stuff a try, Paul. Thanks.
    My pleasure :beer:

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,527 Senior Member
    Only Shotguns for duck and geese.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,047 Senior Member
    having had does walk within 25 yards of me while clad in screaming neon orange, I no longer worry too much about it on guns. With the bow, camo tape got applied more to eliminate shine off the fiberglass limbs.

If I were actively in the trade of hunting PEOPLE, I'd be all about being as invisible as possible. When your life depends on it, being able to perceive and recognize an AK-47 front sight assembly against a background of leaves takes on a whole new priority - as does making sure your own gear isn't seen. A deer or turkey doesn't have this concept of what gear looks like. To them, it's just another stick.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,066 Senior Member
    IMG_7287_zpsfe9ca6e7.jpg
    IMG_7253.jpg
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"