"Genes" ?

TinkerUniqueTinkerUnique New MemberPosts: 7 New Member
In a recent article about Whitetails, "It's In The Genes" there was much discussion on the different species/sub-species of whitetail deer in North America/Mexico. Being from Oregon, I questioned the "whitetail" in the state. I'm aware of the Mule Deer (big & tasty), and the Blacktail Deer ( smaller like whitetail but with a "muley rack". Whitetail deer have one main beam with tines branching from that (usually), and Mule Deer have a forked beam that sports more tines. I have "4-point" rack in my room downstairs and would like a 10-point "whitey" to match it. My "4-point" would be a 10-point by Whitetail standards, or called a 4x4 with brow tines.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,895 Senior Member
    What about a button whitetail
    a 1x1 knob.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    I think this has been disproven, that is, the multiple types of whitetails bit. There are no subspecies other than the Keys subset.

They just get smaller the closer to the equator you get. I have heard speculation that the mule deer was a cross between whitetails and blacktails.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    What about a button whitetail
    a 1x1 knob.

Button buck or what we call a nubbin'. Legal under the antlerless deer regs but they ask us to look closely and try not to shoot them.

Buffco: Biologically we have Orders, Families, genres, species and then sub-species
    The Couse deer is a subspecies.
    Look here: http://www.whitetailsunlimited.com/i/p/bk_distribution.pdf

I tried to leave the link open at the right place but if not scroll down to Region 1 section 3 and you will find Odocoileus Virginianus Couesi.

In your defense I will say that barring isolated pockets they all interbreed. But I'm pretty sure Boone and Crockett counts them separately.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    Buttons are antlered deer here if something bony protrudes through the skin otherwise they need a doe tag.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Buttons are antlered deer here if something bony protrudes through the skin otherwise they need a doe tag.

Here, if antlers are visible but less than 2" then you check it as anlerless. If over 2" then it's not legal to shoot. They have to have at least 3 points on one side and in some hunting zones 4 points or more.
    There is some obscure spread exemption but I wouldn't want to take a chance. We don't have dedicated doe tags. In the zone we're hunting in we can take 4 each. No more than 2 bucks, and no more than 2 does. Unless you kill all your does with archery tackle. And speaking of archery, they make no distinction between crossbows or other bows. They also make no special distinctions between the different types of muzzle loaders.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,257 Senior Member
    From the Tennessee hunting regulations website:

Antlerless Deer

Defined as those deer with no antlers or deer with antlers less than 3 inches in length.

If a button buck or a young spike doesn't have horns above its ears, we usually use the 3-a-day rule like for does. Those little "barbecue deer" make for some fine eating when a whole ham or shoulder is slow-cooked on the offset smoker. My daughter Debby coats the meat in ranch dressing and uses her "Dangerous Rub" on it. That's the meat they serve at the campfire every year.

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    The button skull on the left is a legal antlered and the other two are antlerless, so the distinction is not much.

The other antlers came from a 3x3 muley.

Oh, and cpj the tail is from a grey squirrel.

#1 son put this up 20 some years ago.