Home Main Category Hunting

A nagging desire for a .280 Remington.

BPsniperBPsniper BannedPosts: 1,961 Senior Member
And I need your help. Talk some sense into me. Is there even a shade of necessity for one in my collection?........................I have the 6.5-284 already for deer. This is not a light rifle. Probably 9 pounds +/- with a 26" barrel. It's trim but not light. For light rifles, I have 2 Kimbers in .308 Winchester. Short pencil barrels but dandy to carry.................I also have a Ruger No.1A in .30-06 Springfield but really consider that a timber rifle. The .35 Whelen is no comparison with the .280 Remington and the soon to have .340 Weatherby is in another class as well.........................Basically, the only thing I have in the class of the .280 Remington is the 6.5-284. So, my question is, is there enough justification to consider a .280 or a .280 AI in the fold or would it be sharing to much common ground? Maybe I'm just bored and thinking to much. Talk me into or out of this desire, PLEASE!

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    Well, once you get your old Vanguard .30-06 properly tuned up, a .280 would be a little redundant. . .

But I'm afraid I can't help you, Amigo. Between me and Dad, there are a lot of really accurate rifles in the stable. His .280 AI may be the most accurate of the lot, turning in 1/2 MOA groups with the fire-formers. It may have been P.O. Ackley himself that said the .280 Improved was one of the better "blown out" rounds. If I had to give up my '06's, either version of the round would be among my top choices.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    The Vanguard is not an option. It will get dressed up and a load made. Then a hunt or two with my son. After that, it's back to retirement for that girl. To wait for her future with my son. So, I don't count her as mine.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    You want it, you like it, you have talked about it before, just get it and scratch that itch :beer:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    It's everything a .270 hopes to be. Need I say more?
    Overkill is underrated.
    It's everything a .270 hopes to be. Need I say more?

I think that is pretty clear :jester::jester:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    I'm the worst person to ask "do I need a .280?" I don't own one personally, but I have an innate affection for the cartridge due to the fact that it was what my Dad used for deer hunting. As long as he did well, the cartridge never failed.

Once I get my safe situated, I'm going to have to get Dad's rifle and put a few rounds through it. It's an ooooooooooold 760 Carbine, so I'm not expecting MOA. But it was always minute of deer.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member
    You need a .280AI, preferably a Savage with a 26" Shilen barrel a B&C Medalist stock a Timney trigger and the proper Leupold scope then I'm... uhh your all set.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    You want it, you like it, you have talked about it before, just get it and scratch that itch :beer:
    Yeah, but I ain't that easy. I plan and think an at least make an attempt to justify. Or at least make sense. Sometimes, I fail. But at least I attempt. So, are there benefits that the .280 has that aren't covered by the 6.5-284 or other rifles I mentioned? Am I missing something by not having one?
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    So, are there benefits that the .280 has that aren't covered by the 6.5-284 or other rifles I mentioned? Am I missing something by not having one?

The 7mm's have some advantage over many of the 6.5's in that they give you the options of BOTH weight and a high B.C. True, you can shoot the 162 grain Kennedy Special with a sufficiently fast twist, but most 6.5's these days seem to be the slower 1-9" that's happier with 140 grains and less. A totally different application than you're after, but Dad shoots 7mm JLK 180 grain VLD's that look like miniature ICBM warheads The lack of wind drift with that bullet boggles the brain.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    Justify? Really?You have rifles that go up in about the smallest increments that you can go already, and you are trying to justify something. Pfffft.
    Hey, they are different enough. Besides, they are categorized in bullet weight. So there!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    I won't talk you out of it, seems like you have any .280 ground covered though, unfortunately, Savage is not chambering .280 at this time, I just checked. I would go .280AI from what I have read, which is not alot, I am just glad to be helpful:jester:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    I have a .280AI on a M-70, 26" sheilen #4 bbl. I also have a .270, 2- 7X57AI, .308, & 30-06. IMHO it wont do anything the others wont do as long as you do your part, the only reason I have one is like you " i just wanted one " JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    Bigslug wrote: »
    The 7mm's have some advantage over many of the 6.5's in that they give you the options of BOTH weight and a high B.C. True, you can shoot the 162 grain Kennedy Special with a sufficiently fast twist, but most 6.5's these days seem to be the slower 1-9" that's happier with 140 grains and less. A totally different application than you're after, but Dad shoots 7mm JLK 180 grain VLD's that look like miniature ICBM warheads The lack of wind drift with that bullet boggles the brain.
    That's what interests me in the cartridge. The 160-180gr bullets.
    Am I missing something by not having one?

Yes, you are missing an outstanding cartridge that is easy to load for, accurate, great ballistics and lots of bullets to choose from and most of ALL you want one so if you don't get one for all the above reason then you are MISSING SOMETHING!!!!! :agree:
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I won't talk you out of it, seems like you have any .280 ground covered though, unfortunately, Savage is not chambering .280 at this time, I just checked. I would go .280AI from what I have read, which is not alot, I am just glad to be helpful:jester:.
    Kimber makes the AI version. Considered that one.
    Yes, you are missing an outstanding cartridge that is easy to load for, accurate, great ballistics and lots of bullets to choose from and most of ALL you want one so if you don't get one for all the above reason then you are MISSING SOMETHING!!!!! :agree:
    Damn good argument you have there. Hard to refute that one. ****!
    Now that is what I call an honest response. :jester: What rifle are you going to get it in or will this be a custom. :angel::jester:
    Now that is what I call an honest response. :jester: What rifle are you going to get it in or will this be a custom. :angel::jester:
    Easy killer! I'm still arguing with myself here. Besides, the only company chambering the round is Kimber for the AI and Browning for the standard. Not big on the Browning and the Kimber is mucho dough. I do think Remington is making a limited edition CDL SF that really has my eye. All that to say, probably factory. Don't want to hit my Mentor up for this one if I make the leap.
    Besides, my Mentor still has my .340 Weatherby to finish. Don't want to hit him up for another. He'd likely slap me. :-)
    Hey, they are different enough. Besides, they are categorized in bullet weight. So there!
    And, and, and, I don't have a 7mm anymore. So there, again!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I have 30-06s, a .270 Win., and a .280 Rem. (Not the AI). Bullet weights being the same or in the same class, there isn't a dime worth of difference in the three.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Between the 30/06, the 6.5/284, and the .308's you pretty much have that range of calibers covered with lighter/heavier rifles. I see what you are saying with the .280 AI (I would personally go with 7mmSTW myself) and those long sexy 160gr pills but I am having a hella time finding a way to help you justify one. Heavy/light trick... Check! Build rifles for the kids trick... Check! How about getting busy making another kid? More kids= more rifles!

Do you have nieces or nephews that may need a rifle in the next 20 years or so? Has Mrs. Sniper as a passing thought, said the word "hunt" in the last 5 years? If so, that is a good justification to either get one for her or give her one of your old ones (which means that you will have to replace it.) How about a rifle for dad? What father wouldn't like a rifle from his son (and son gets to play with it "dialing in loads" between now and Christmas 2012)?

Do you need an "all weather" rifle in that intermediate caliber niche? There is an option!

But then, there really isn't a need to justify a rifle purchase. You already know that.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • WORLD TWORLD T Member Posts: 262 Member
    Kimber makes the AI version. Considered that one.

I just turned down that exact gun at Cabelas for this Tikka. They had a Kimber 280 ACK. The price is what turned me off. It was over $1300 tax and all. It also had a wood stock. Im not much on the wood stuff, even though it looks good. After a couple of hunts and I scratch it, cry for a bit, then wonder why I paid that much for this gun. So, that is why I decided on the synthetic Tikka.
    Easy killer! I'm still arguing with myself here.
    I thought the argument was over :deadhorse::jester: Now lets lay out a plan of what it will be so your mentor will have his next project all laid out and you have something else cool to look forward to coming your way (by the way 340Wby is absolutely cool). :that::agree::jester::win:
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Because it STILL looks great and now it has memories attached to it.

AMEN!!!!
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    I feel ya bro....just something about the 280 that calls to me as well.

Ruger chambers (or chambered) the 280 very recently in the Hawkeye line, both wood and plastic.

Sportsmans and Gander are blowing out previous model Vanguards for 350, and its a HELL of a base for a custom, every bit as good as a 700 and just as easy to work on. I could check out their selection up here since I'm close to both if you don't have one there....hit me up if interested.

I would view you building a 280 as I viewed my recently aquired 308....its a good everything gun. It'll do almost everything the rest of your rifles will do to a point. Javelina to Elk, especially with the 160-180 weight you are thinking about loading. And it really is a handloaders chambering, as factory ammo is down on pressure because of the semi-auto's.

Go with a 23-24" barrel, average sporter weight of 8lbs scoped. Something you could always have around as back up for pretty much any hunt you ever do. Your star 2nd string!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,093 Senior Member
    So, are there benefits that the .280 has that aren't covered by the 6.5-284 or other rifles I mentioned?
    Only real advantage I can see to adding a 280 to the stable is availability of factory ammo
    In the long run I agree with the ursine tracker though
    You want it, you like it, you have talked about it before, just get it and scratch that itch
    :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,825 Senior Member
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,035 Senior Member
    I love my .270 Win. It has served me well over the years. I wish it was a .280. (Or 7mm Rem Express, as it was once called). While I doubt I'll ever shoot the throat out of my .270, if I do, it'll certainly be reincarnated as a .280 Rem (possibly the AI version). I've always been intrigued by the abundance of good powders and great BC bullets you could combine for this chambering.

If you want it....I'd go for it and not think twice about it.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    On paper the 7mms look better than the .277-06, but I for one (now that I have a 7mag I can talk) think if you want to shoot a 160+ grain bullet out of a 7mm need to buy you a 7 mag of some flavor. If you put a 165+ bullet in a .280, you're going to slow the velocity down to where I feel you lose the advantage of all that BC for long range. So that puts me at a 160 grain and no heavier 280 bullet which I can get the same thing in a .270 with a hair better BC due to its slightly smaller diameter, which makes it longer for its weight. And now days the old argument that there's not enough variety of bullets for the .270 is out of date. In my opinion, if the 6.5 is better than a .270, well a .270 is better than a 7mm. OK I rest my case, again. BTW, I have both and hunt with both and love both, but don't ask me to chunck my Win. in the bay because of the lame arguments against it on here. Of course nobody has asked me to chunck it in the bay (Yet), but facts is facts, so i don't think you will be a bit better off with a .280. Now for long range work on big game I think you gain enough to make it worth while with a 7 Mag of some variety.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.