Home Main Category Hunting

A nagging desire for a .280 Remington.

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    But you aren't bitter. :blah: :blah: :blah:

Well well, look who showed up right on time as I predicted!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • WORLD TWORLD T Member Posts: 262 Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Because it STILL looks great and now it has memories attached to it.

I know, I know. I am trying to justify why I did not buy that gun and you are NOT helping meeeeeeeeee..
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    How about getting busy making another kid? More kids= more rifles! Do you have nieces or nephews that may need a rifle in the next 20 years or so? Has Mrs. Sniper as a passing thought, said the word "hunt" in the last 5 years? If so, that is a good justification to either get one for her or give her one of your old ones (which means that you will have to replace it.) How about a rifle for dad? What father wouldn't like a rifle from his son (and son gets to play with it "dialing in loads" between now and Christmas 2012)? Do you need an "all weather" rifle in that intermediate caliber niche? There is an option!But then, there really isn't a need to justify a rifle purchase. You already know that.
    Hush yo mouth! My wife might hear you and feel she has a friend in the fight for more kids. No thankyou!!!!...............My wife has no desire to hunt and my father doesn't hunt anymore either. Those won't work. I just need to bounce this idea around in my head a little. Thanks for your help though. Well, except for the kid part. ;-)
    WORLD T wrote: »
    I know, I know. I am trying to justify why I did not buy that gun and you are NOT helping meeeeeeeeee..
    Besides, didn't you just get a Cooper with a BEAUTIFUL stock?
    No he wouldn't. That man loves you too much for his own good :tooth:Cabelas has ADL's on sale for $379. A nice Wolf Summit or a B&C Mountaing Gun stock and a Shillen light contour barrel would get you a .280 in the 6 lb class. Wouldn't THAT be a dandy little gun to tote around all day...
    Yeah, yeah, I know. But I don't want to hit him up for this one. This is just a side idea. I want to save him for a SP project maybe next year. If I do this cartridge, it won't be a build.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    My wife has no desire to hunt and my father doesn't hunt anymore either. Those won't work.

...So they say!!! But you and I know better. A year or two from now, one OR BOTH of them might come up and say... "Hey BP, you know, I have been thinking... Let's go hunting! Do you have a spare rifle I could use?"

What are you going to do then? I'll tell you what you are going to do... You are going to say, "Sure. I have this .280AI stoked with some long sleek 160gr bullets that just might do the trick."

...And BP saves the day again! Do it for them because that is just the kind of guy you are!!!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,074 Senior Member
    ...So they say!!! But you and I know better. A year or two from now, one OR BOTH of them might come up and say... "Hey BP, you know, I have been thinking... Let's go hunting! Do you have a spare rifle I could use?"

What are you going to do then? I'll tell you what you are going to do... You are going to say, "Sure. I have this .280AI stoked with some long sleek 160gr bullets that just might do the trick."

...And BP saves the day again! Do it for them because that is just the kind of guy you are!!!
    Jeremy, you are working really hard on your MGE (Masters of Gun Enabling) :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    .280????? Very close to a .270 Just a wee bit away.
    ...So they say!!! But you and I know better. A year or two from now, one OR BOTH of them might come up and say... "Hey BP, you know, I have been thinking... Let's go hunting! Do you have a spare rifle I could use?"What are you going to do then? I'll tell you what you are going to do... You are going to say, "Sure. I have this .280AI stoked with some long sleek 160gr bullets that just might do the trick."...And BP saves the day again! Do it for them because that is just the kind of guy you are!!!
    I love you, man. You're reaching. But I love you. Thanks for the help.
    A question for you guys. What twist would it take to stabilize the 162 and 168gr bullets. I've looked in several different places but the info is confusing. Berger says the 1-10 will work for their 168gr VLDs but Shilen says a 9T is needed for over 140gr bullets. Then, if that's not confusing enough, Lilja recommends a 10T for 140-160gr and turns around to recommend a 9T for 150-168gr bullets. How do I make sense of any of this? Anybody got experience to shed light on this?
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,456 Senior Member
    Just go with the 1-9. All of mine are.
    The 280 and or the AI is in a different class than the 6.5-284, and fills a niche (especially at distance) that an 06 or 3-O-Late, cannot touch.
    Decide on what specific goals you have for the cartridge you choose, and then choose appropriate taper, length, etc., to meet those goals.
    The 280 Rem should feed easier, but I like the 280 AI.
    Single-shot or magazine?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    This one will be factory if I do it. So I'll have to see what I can find.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,074 Senior Member
    How do I make sense of any of this? Anybody got experience to shed light on this?
    Yes, it's quite simple really. Grab the fastest twist. You can under stabilize a bullet and it'll key hole. Some folks say you can "over stabilize" a bullet while others say you can't
    I fall into the latter category. My thought is, either it's stable or it's not. At worst, too fast a twist for a particular bullet MIGHT cost you a little bit of accuracy by over emphasizing any irregularity/imbalance in a bullet. A Tumbling bullet, IME, will have a much more detrimental affect on accuracy.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    This one will be factory if I do it. So I'll have to see what I can find.

Here we go again, :deadhorse: WHAT DO YOU MEAN IF!!!!! You will find one, you will be happy and you won't believe how satisfying it will be to shoot a 280. :that::that::that: :deadhorse: :beer:
  • WORLD TWORLD T Member Posts: 262 Member
    BP, ole buddy, YOU SUCK!! Now you got me to thinking about that Kimber 280 ACK. Its just in arms reach too. That is one caliber I have never owned. I have owned the 280. Nice gun, never the 280 ACK Improved. Since I reload, that might be a neat addition to Kimber line since I already have a .308. GRRRRR! You are an evil man sometimes. :tooth:
    Rem.=9.25
    Tikka=.9.5
    Not sure on Kimber
    The two above should be fine for what you would want to do.
    I would recommend the 162 A-Max or the 168 Berger.
    Another easy way would be to get a 1-9 twist McGowen (They rival the accuracy of my other custom tubes), and you can get exactly what you want (contour, weight, and length) if you buy a used rig with .473 boltface
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,249 Senior Member
    Dad's shooting his 180 grain VLD's with a 1-9" twist - with accuracy that is downright spooky. I suspect a 9" twist for 7mm is much the same as the 10" twist for the .30-06 - it's fast enough to stabilize bullets heavier than most people care to shoot. At any rate, it should stabilize any hunting bullet you care to toss.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    A quick search on GB gave quite a large list of options!! Older Win 70 XTR's, plenty of Ruger's, Remgintons, Mausers of various types. And of course Brownings, but you said those are out.

You could also buy a 270 and have it rebored to 280, thats a win/win for you AND the rifle LOL
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    O'Connor liked the .280...that should be enough to cinch the deal for you...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    O'Connor liked the .280...that should be enough to cinch the deal for you...

You are bad :jester::jester:
  • deadeyedeadeye Member Posts: 73 Member
    A quick search on GB gave quite a large list of options!! Older Win 70 XTR's, plenty of Ruger's, Remgintons, Mausers of various types. And of course Brownings, but you said those are out.

You could also buy a 270 and have it rebored to 280, thats a win/win for you AND the rifle LOL
    I think you meant rebarrel because the .270 is a .277 and the .280 is a .284 diameter.
    No Need To Run, You Will Only Die Tired
    No, I meant re-bored. Take a small hole and make it bigger. There is a guy in AZ that does FANTASTIC work doing this, bit cheaper then a rebarrel. It was more of a 270 joke, however ;)
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Well, damn you bunch of enablers. I come to you guys with a question and an idea. Like a man standing on the ledge of a building threatening to jump. What do you guys do? "Jump! Go ahead and jump! Do it ya pansy!!" Then, while on the brink of a decision, one of you knuckleheads comes and just shoves me off!!.........................So, when I get back home in a week, I will be getting a dandy .280 Remington. Just the kind of rifle I like. Might surprise some if you. Instead of talking me OUT of it, you enablers send someone to offer me a deal I can't refuse! Shocker!!!!! But hey, I will have my .280 and I think it will be perfect. Thanks a lot! This place rocks!!!!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    Well, damn you bunch of enablers. I come to you guys with a question and an idea. Like a man standing on the ledge of a building threatening to jump. What do you guys do? "Jump! Go ahead and jump! Do it ya pansy!!" Then, while on the brink of a decision, one of you knuckleheads comes and just shoves me off!!.........................So, when I get back home in a week, I will be getting a dandy .280 Remington. Just the kind of rifle I like. Might surprise some if you. Instead of talking me OUT of it, you enablers send someone to offer me a deal I can't refuse! Shocker!!!!! But hey, I will have my .280 and I think it will be perfect. Thanks a lot! This place rocks!!!!

Jack would be so proud... sniff sniff :tissue: I think I got somethin in my eye...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Well, damn you bunch of enablers. I come to you guys with a question and an idea. Like a man standing on the ledge of a building threatening to jump. What do you guys do? "Jump! Go ahead and jump! Do it ya pansy!!" Then, while on the brink of a decision, one of you knuckleheads comes and just shoves me off!!........................!

You don't come here expecting anyone to tell you not to jump! You come here to be told if you are going head first or feet first
    Enablers?
    You were looking for that very thing when you started the post:tooth:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    You don't come here expecting anyone to tell you not to jump! You come here to be told if you are going head first or feet first

He is going feet first!!!!
    Shoot, I thought this thread would be over by now and a new one already started entitled "My New 280" I mean I have been gone for one whole day!!!! How long does it take you to make up your already made up mind BP????? :queen::that::that::jester:
    Hey, considering it usually takes me a year to make up my mind, I'd say we set a record here. You guys should be proud of me. I usually hym and haw around for months on end. The fact that I dive off the cliff in only two days is a testament to you all's improving enabling skill. But then, it's not in my hands yet. Reason being, of course, that I am away and unable to do anything about it. But when I get home...........
    Maybe you are finally getting around to knowing what you want better......
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Well, truth be told, it has been in the back of my mind for quite some time now. It only took someone dumping a rifle in my lap to convince me. Not much arm twisting needed.