Pistols are a lot of trouble

NNNN Senior MemberPosts: 23,903 Senior Member
I need to go back to basics, and start carrying N frames.

Seems to be less dirt to deal with, no feed ramp, no spring feeding thingy [clip I think they are], and moving thumb rammers!

Besides I shoot better with N frames except when I using a .327.

What's a GP-100 = K or L frame?

:wink::wink:
A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
«1

Replies

  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,052 Senior Member
    GP-100's neither. J, K, L, and N frames are Smith and Wesson designations. A GP-100 is similar in size to an L-frame and will fit into some of the same holsters, but it's not really an L-frame. Because it's a Ruger.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    Yeah, I knew it was just a size comparison such as a speed six can use a L frame holster.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I need to go back to basics, and start carrying N frames.

    Seems to be less dirt to deal with, no feed ramp, no spring feeding thingy [clip I think they are], and moving thumb rammers!

    Besides I shoot better with N frames except when I using a .327.

    What's a GP-100 = K or L frame?

    :wink::wink:

    So what mishap happened with your pistols/semis......tell us and we promise to keep it a secret :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    So what mishap happened with your pistols/semis......tell us and we promise to keep it a secret :tooth:
    Nothing happened except I shoot revolvers better.

    Not to mean stuff hasn't in the past.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    I agree completely, the only advantage a pistol offers IMHO is ammo capacity, its awful easy to find yourself becoming a
    semi auto nut case ( me included ) 9MM,10MM,.40 cal, springs, feeding SD ammo, the list goes on. Unfortunately you can't
    predict the circumstance requiring SD action and magazine capacity increases ones comfort level. I was very happy for many years with a 357 revolver, then I went over to the dark side.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Nothing happened except I shoot revolvers better.

    Me too, always have but I carry a Kahr CW .45. Only 2 more rounds but it's lite and slim and has a great trigger. If we had open carry I'd rethink that and maybe look at an N frame. I'm also a big fan of the Ruger GP and SP lines. Heck I'm a big fan of just about anything Ruger makes.
    But if we're talking about CCW then I'm in the camp that says if it's lite and comfortable to carry then I'm more likely to carry more often. And that little Kahr goes on my hip every day. Unless I'm going to a government "gun free zone".
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    I knew I liked you for some reason Ned. I'm more a revolver guy myself.

    I still only have one semi auto pistol. And other than a small Kahr or the like, and a CZ75, I've no real use for any other pistols.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    104RFAST wrote: »
    I agree completely, the only advantage a pistol offers IMHO is ammo capacity, its awful easy to find yourself becoming a
    semi auto nut case ( me included ) 9MM,10MM,.40 cal, springs, feeding SD ammo, the list goes on. Unfortunately you can't
    predict the circumstance requiring SD action and magazine capacity increases ones comfort level. I was very happy for many years with a 357 revolver, then I went over to the dark side.

    Since I liver here in "anything more than 10 rounds is evil" land...a 7 round revolver aint much of a sacrifice.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    I have both. My car gun is a revolver. Have both semi auto and revolvers in the house. My 9mm auto holds 15 rounds, one wheel gun holds 6 and the car gun holds 5. If you have to defend yourself against one offender a tripple tap usually works fine and I carry speedloaders for the wheel guns if necessary. Big problems at home out comes the pump gun. If going into combat it's semi auto only with spair mags. Going to the mail box a wheel gun in plenty. :applause: Later,
    Fat Billy

    Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    I knew I liked you for some reason Ned. I'm more a revolver guy myself.

    I still only have one semi auto pistol. And other than a small Kahr or the like, and a CZ75, I've no real use for any other pistols.


    Don't worry Gingerly, I won't tell anyone about your secret once a year tryst with a Glock 34. :tooth:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    In general, a revolver is easier to master and MOST shoot them better outta the box. It takes more practice and a semi made to target shoot to achieve the same level of accuracy a good revolver with 4"-6" bbl and adjustable sights can deliver right outta the box.

    Adj sights aren't necessary, even fixed sight revolvers will group better in most cases, maybe not to your point of aim.

    In other words most revolvers are SD/Target ready when pistols normally have to be purchased with target features/add-ons so we can shoot them as good. I mean precise/more precise target shooting. Most pistols are fine for HD/SD Minute Of Bad Guy as they come, but in general,(as is) quality made revolvers will beat a pistol anytime unless you have stuff done to them or specifically buy a semi-auto pistol ready for target shooting.

    There are exceptions on both, but my experiences show as a rule of thumb I could always shoot a 25 yard target with a revolver and expect to be in or near the "Black" on a bullseye target right outta the box from a rest and most any non-target ready semi-auto pistol would take much longer and usually some additional parts/features/practice to get it there.


    Sometimes some pistols are really accurate outta the box, but it's just we can't shoot them as well or do as good with them without a lot more effort/practice. I mean if you machine rested them and took out the human part/element of the equation, I think we would be surprised. Here again, I think the same test would show revolvers are more accurate from the get-go.


    I've seen such comparisons by gun writers in years past and their results/conclusions pretty much mirror what I said.

    I just like guns and shootin semi-automatics and revolvers .............:guns::guns::guns::guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    Like most of us here, I own revolvers and automatics. My autoloaders, like most everyone else's, function reliably, are accurate, and have stood the test of time. "Collectibles" like Lugers and Longslide Hardballers always attract approving attention at the range and are great conversation pieces as well as fine shooters.

    However (I love that word, but only when I get to use it), there's something about the essence of revolvers that is incomparable. For caliber choice, simplicity of operation and maintenance, quality of materials and workmanship, and the eccentric delight I take in beholding and using these triumphs of Victorian mechanics, revolvers are unsurpassed. Finally, it comes down to trust, an instinctive level of trust I just don't have in automatics. There's something to be said for a weapon that is fully loaded and ready for action, yet is totally at rest, with nothing under stress. There's a comforting sense of safety I have with revolvers. At a glance, I know everything I need to know about its condition. There's nothing to forget, nothing to overlook, nothing going on deep inside - it's all right there in plain sight. I like that, a lot.

    And so, it is neither accident or coincidence that the half dozen handguns concealed about my premises are all revolvers, and that my concealed carry gun is also a revolver.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    +1 everything he said
    horselips wrote: »
    Like most of us here, I own revolvers and automatics. My autoloaders, like most everyone else's, function reliably, are accurate, and have stood the test of time. "Collectibles" like Lugers and Longslide Hardballers always attract approving attention at the range and are great conversation pieces as well as fine shooters.
    However (I love that word, but only when I get to use it), there's something about the essence of revolvers that is incomparable. For caliber choice, simplicity of operation and maintenance, quality of materials and workmanship, and the eccentric delight I take in beholding and using these triumphs of Victorian mechanics, revolvers are unsurpassed. Finally, it comes down to trust, an instinctive level of trust I just don't have in automatics. There's something to be said for a weapon that is fully loaded and ready for action, yet is totally at rest, with nothing under stress. There's a comforting sense of safety I have with revolvers. At a glance, I know everything I need to know about its condition. There's nothing to forget, nothing to overlook, nothing going on deep inside - it's all right there in plain sight. I like that, a lot.

    And so, it is neither accident or coincidence that the half dozen handguns concealed about my premises are all revolvers, and that my concealed carry gun is also a revolver.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I need to go back to basics, and start carrying N frames.

    Seems to be less dirt to deal with, no feed ramp, no spring feeding thingy [clip I think they are], and moving thumb rammers!

    Besides I shoot better with N frames except when I using a .327.

    What's a GP-100 = K or L frame?

    :wink::wink:

    Ruger's GP 100 is the size of an L frame with the strength of an N frame.....but you know this already you smart ***, I'm just putting it out there for the unknowing you tease.

    You need to get back into .44's and quit flirting with that dirty .327 girl......she might be banging your buck now, but she ain't no .357 wall-knocker!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,158 Senior Member
    What's a GP-100 = K or L frame?


    I always took a GP-100 to be equivalent of the "L" frame S&W.

    Not enough size difference between the two for the naked eye to discern.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,553 Senior Member
    I love my revolvers, for the reasons horselips stated (that was very good). But, for some reason, I've always shot semi-autos better - at least some of them. I've never shot any handgun better than I shoot my Springfield 1911 clone, CZ-75B, CZ RAMI, XD, and believe it or not...Glock 20.

    So, I guess revolvers are for fondling and play time, and autoloaders for business, in my case.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Don't worry Gingerly, I won't tell anyone about your secret once a year tryst with a Glock 34. :tooth:

    Lies. Damned lies.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,113 Senior Member
    Like the deer? :jester:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    41magnut wrote: »
    What's a GP-100 = K or L frame?

    I would put it somewhere between an L and N frame S&W........not as svelt as a K frame. Even with the SP101, it's a stout little 5-gun.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 890 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I love my revolvers, for the reasons horselips stated (that was very good). But, for some reason, I've always shot semi-autos better - at least some of them. I've never shot any handgun better than I shoot my Springfield 1911 clone, CZ-75B, CZ RAMI, XD, and believe it or not...Glock 20.

    So, I guess revolvers are for fondling and play time, and autoloaders for business, in my case.

    My sentiments completely.
    I tend to be more accurate with my .45 acp's Models but on occasion carry my Colt Det. Spl. out doors, more for predator control, etc. I prefer carrying extra mags. vs. speedloaders.

    IMO it is what you practice with and become most proficient. In my experience most revolver shooters shoot single action at targets vs. double action, which would be more common for self defense. Just saying what I have seen most frequently.
  • RiflemannRiflemann Member Posts: 269 Member
    I like my 4" L-frame 686 S&W, but I also like my M&P40's. The simple revolver is fun to shoot, but I like the faster reloads of my semi-auto when I have all 10 mags loaded with 15 rounds each.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    i really don't have anything to add to this discussion, i just got tired of looking at the police smell meth thread title on the main category page. So i thought I'd bump it off.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    I agree with Razor
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    I wish my Dan Wesson had a 4" barrel option. I'd love to carry it.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    I wish my Dan Wesson had a 4" barrel option. I'd love to carry it.
    I have a couple revolvers with the barrels too long, also, the 4" barrel on a "N" frame or equivalent sized revolver
    does allow it to be concealed well in cool or cold temps with no corrosion worries.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I have a couple revolvers with the barrels too long, also, the 4" barrel on a "N" frame or equivalent sized revolver
    does allow it to be concealed well in cool or cold temps with no corrosion worries.

    Mine has a 6" barrel on it, and just to see if I could pull it off, i wore it OWB with my suit on, and successfully concealed it for the day. But, it was a black suit, and the gun was in a black nylon holster, so that helped.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    Yeah, with the proper over garment a 6" barrel can be concealed. Problem for me is I don't dress up enough to wear a suit
    unless I'm going where the gun can't go.

    My EX large tall shirts still let the bottom of a belt holster show some. So, I'm using the 629 4" IWB.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Did everyone have a memory dump? What is THE MOST RECOMMENDED handgun!? To start with......for women, for simplicity, for carry....etc etc. It's ALWAYS been the 4" .357 magnum! Unless you're a Marine in a pink shirt and thinks he can make up for .327 with good aim......awwwwwww! Oh snap, I see he's using a .44 now.......redemption?
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    You need to go back to kindergarten and learn your colors
    the shirt is shrimp!

    And it is the SE Shoot uniform, get one or stay out west.

    Don't see anyone volunteering to be shot by a .327, even tankers.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Pilots are a lot of trouble .

    FIFY... :tooth:

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.