Home Main Category Hunting

More Bow Stuff

BigslugBigslug Senior MemberPosts: 8,262 Senior Member
It's official: my boss is a bad influence! :silly:

I picked up one of those high-density foam backstops on the way home from work today and set it down in front of a big, fat palm tree that I hate anyway. In the five foot wide corridor between my house and the fence between me and the neighbors, I now have a 30 yard archery range in my back yard. I figure the only way to get good enough to be comfortable thwacking deer with this "string gun" is to shoot it a lot, and, while my bosses' backyard range is accessible, it ain't always convenient. I had got to the point where I knew when I had a good release well enough to trust the pin zeroes, but groups were eluding me. Tonight, the light bulb seemed to click on and I shot 4/4 inside of about a 2.5" group at 30yards. Feeling a whole lot better about the prospect of making something bleed with it now.

Next foray starts at 0400 tomorrow!
WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Replies

• BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    My first job was at an archery store when I was 12 years old. I use to spend HOURS shooting my bow in te back yard. Was an avid archery shooter and hunter until the kids came along. Then it slowly trickled off. Haven't shot in a few years but my daughter is begging me to take her bow hunting with me. Planned to this year, but the shoulder surgery curtailed that. Maybe next year....................all that to say, shooting archery equipment is a blast and I miss it.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Before both my shoulders went south, I used to shoot my bow a lot. Do you use a peep sight built into the string, and a mechanical release? Both of those accessories will do wonders for your group shooting, plus all the practice you can get in helps a lot.
    Jerry
    I have two compound bows and two recurves. When my shoulder is back to normal, I really have a desire to shoot my recurves and get back to hunting with them. Got away from them and went all compound for years. Ready to rekindle that fire.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    I was using string-mounted peep sights years ago, but only went to a release when I took it up again a couple months ago. It does simplify matters, that's for sure.

Right now, I'm sorting out questions of what modern upgrades will and won't go on to this 25 year old bow. Modern bows seem to have quite a bit of offset away from the gripping hand in the arrow rest area. This provides clearance for "whisker biscuit" type arrow rests, and allows the use of shorter/stiffer/lighter arrows by keeping broadhead blades well clear of the bow handle itself. I may be able to get a whisker biscuit on this bow, but I think the only way I could go to shorter arrows would be to use folding broadheads, which may be more into this than I want to go. . .
    WWJMBD?

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    For shorter arrows, you'll need an "overdraw" rest which places the broadhead behind the handgrip. If one ever falls off the rest just as you release, there's a danger of impaling your wrist with the broadhead. Bad Juju!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    For shorter arrows, you'll need an "overdraw" rest which places the broadhead behind the handgrip. If one ever falls off the rest just as you release, there's a danger of impaling your wrist with the broadhead. Bad Juju!Jerry
    I think overdraws are a thing of the past. They were big in the mid 80s to mid 90s. Then things went to lighter arrows and reflexes risers to gain the speed. Haven't seen an overdraw in YEARS.
    cpj wrote: »
    A 25 year old bow is not the same as a 25 year old 1911.Buy a new bow.
    This is very true and one of the consternations with modern archery. Every year is a new model and the old are left behind. It's almost as though the companies are saying, "Keep up or get out."
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    In middle school I used to shoot competitively in JOAD. Even won state one year in NC and went to Nationals. Haven't touched it since then but I keep threatening to. Dang, I miss archery!
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    My first bow was a Bear Whitetail Elite, its about 15 years old. I think it came in a blister pack from wally world. It seems the old double wheeled bows are a thing of the past.

I upgraded to a more modern bow about 9 or 10 years ago, a Fred Bear TRX (Team Realtree Extreme). It has all the modern bells and whistles, a Dead Nuts sight, Whisker Biscuit, Limbsaver stabilizer, and a few other small things, but even it is not on par with today's high tech bows. My cousin keeps telling me I need to upgrade to a Mathews (like his), but I am satisfied with the old Bear, especially since I'm not a big archery hunter.

You don't need a thousand dollar rig for casual hunting. I haven't shot mine in a couple years but It did well on a couple hogs and a young doe, back when I was still in practice.

My first "big game" bow kill
    Scan13-1.jpg
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,714 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    A 25 year old bow is not the same as a 25 year old 1911.

Buy a new bow.
    Nothing wrong with an old bow, except it may need a new bow string on occasion
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Well, I have seen the enemy!

We finished our initial pre-dawn sit and wait, and were driving to check out another area when we saw a good sized forky being followed around by a doe. No way to effectively engage however. We lased them out at 62 yards from the cab of the truck while they stood out in the open and stared at us. They calmly walked off down the ridgeline. We deployed for a pursuit that proved mostly fruitless - the good news was they led us to a very active game trail.

This officially marks my first "If only it was rifle season" experience while bowhunting. I have a feeling it's not gonna be the last.:bang:
    WWJMBD?

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Well, I have seen the enemy!

We finished our initial pre-dawn sit and wait, and were driving to check out another area when we saw a good sized forky being followed around by a doe. No way to effectively engage however. We lased them out at 62 yards from the cab of the truck while they stood out in the open and stared at us. They calmly walked off down the ridgeline. We deployed for a pursuit that proved mostly fruitless - the good news was they led us to a very active game trail.

This officially marks my first "If only it was rifle season" experience while bowhunting. I have a feeling it's not gonna be the last.:bang:

I agree with Chris, and others, get a new bow. With a modern compound, 62 yards is WELL within range, if you're up to the task. I've had a 60 yard pin on all my recent bows.
    There are big time deals to be had, especially from bow junkies like me. I just sold a 2 year old, top of the line Bowtech for less than half what I paid for it. To finance the 2011 Invasion I bought yesterday. If you've got the bug, upgrading to a modern bow will open up a whole new world.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    In middle school I used to shoot competitively in JOAD. Even won state one year in NC and went to Nationals. Haven't touched it since then but I keep threatening to. Dang, I miss archery!

I competed in JOAD as well, along with 4H. I won state several times in 4H back in the day.

I keep threatening to get back slinging sharpened sticks, but I just don't have time. Plus, bows are EXPENSIVE these days.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    jbohio wrote: »
    I agree with Chris, and others, get a new bow.

Ain't gonna happen - at least not for a couple years. I figure we got to the top of the food chain with sticks launching other sticks with rocks on their front end, and the English were killing Frenchmen at 200 yards using bows a lot more primitive than what I'm rolling with now. The current Golden Eagle compound will crank up to 80 pounds, and IIRC, Dad was shooting it at 72# back in the day - the trajectory looked like something you'd get from a .22-250. That's gonna take me a little time to work up to - Dad's built like a moose and I got the skinny genes from the other side of the family - but I should be there by next season. The only thing this bow really lacks is the ability to shoot non-folding broadheads on short, carbon arrows, and frankly, I'd rather throw mass than speed anyway. If that takes 20-30 yards off my max effective range, I'm OK with that.

But whatever the gear, 30 yards is the current comfort zone for actually trying to kill something, and that's rapidly increasing as I get more. . .ummm. . .string time?
    WWJMBD?

• justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry about using short arrows, just have some cut long enough to stick out slightly past your riser to give your broadheads clearance. I've heard that Ted Nugent uses extra long arrows like that and they seen to work for him.

I stay away from expendables, their just one more thing that can fail. Much prefer cut on contact 2 or 3 fixed blades.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Ive been shooting a long bow for a couple years but not sure I'm up to hunting with it yet.
    But with only 1 deer alowed per hunter per season here I'll not take any chances on bow,as primitave as I'll go is muzzle loader(Hawkin with patched round ball)
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Yeah, string time. The muscles you use to draw a bow are muscles that you never use in real life, apparently. I'm sore right now.

Ahh, if you're cool with your bow, good enough. Modern sights are neat-o, a good investment, as you can move them along. Peep sights, releases, D-loops, all really, really help.

I bowhunted all through high school, then quit in college. So, 15 year hiatus. Quite the learning curve when I picked it back up a few years ago. I think the greatest advancement is the arrows. Carbon arrows are tough as hell. Used to be, if you just looked at an aluminum arrow wrong, it bent. Carbon arrows, you can bounce them off the ground, stick them in trees, deer, rocks, whatever, they're fine. Tear the fleching off, just get a pack of Blazer quick wrap, dunk it in hot water, good as new. Amazing.
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 564 Senior Member
    I would recommend getting the stuff to bowfish next spring. It gets you a ton of sting time and helps you learn to shoot instinctively which I have found even if I use sights I am a better shot. And on top of all that its a blast!
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    justin10mm wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about using short arrows, just have some cut long enough to stick out slightly past your riser to give your broadheads clearance. I've heard that Ted Nugent uses extra long arrows like that and they seen to work for him.

I stay away from expendables, their just one more thing that can fail. Much prefer cut on contact 2 or 3 fixed blades.

Personally, I'm the opposite when it comes to the sharp, pointy things on the end of my arrows. I prefer expandables. I get frustrated trying to tune my arrows fly straight with fixed broadheads. Expandables generally fly just like field points. I think if you use good expandables, there's really nothing to go wrong.

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading to a nicer bow. Or maybe get my dad a new one and take over his old one, since that's what we've been doing. I'm not into it as much as he is, so I get his old bow when he gets a new one. I'm using his old PSE now and he's shooting a Hoyt that he's had for a good 8 years.

Is the old carbon vs. aluminum debate still around or has carbon just been accepted now?
    Jay wrote: »

Is the old carbon vs. aluminum debate still around or has carbon just been accepted now?

In the little looking I've done so far, carbon seems to have pretty much taken over. The gal at the local archery shop says that Easton has dropped their selection of shaft diameters way down. I can still get my 2216 XX75's, so I'll probably lay in another dozen to plunk around with, but I may be shooting charcoal arrows by next year.
    WWJMBD?

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    In the little looking I've done so far, carbon seems to have pretty much taken over. The gal at the local archery shop says that Easton has dropped their selection of shaft diameters way down. I can still get my 2216 XX75's, so I'll probably lay in another dozen to plunk around with, but I may be shooting charcoal arrows by next year.

Cool. It's been a good while since I've been into archery. Like I said, my dad is in it more than I am. I always shot aluminum until my dad switched to Gold Point carbon arrows and I got his old arrows. Back then, there was always a debate about which was better. Carbon arrows are lighter and faster. Aluminum arrows retain more energy and hit harder. Stuff like that going back and forth. Once I switched to carbon, I never looked back.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Tell me about it. I paid over $600 for my Mathews Legacy 10 years ago and I thought that was about as much as I'd EVER go for a bow. I just got back from playing with the new Matthews Z9 (talk about panting and drooling, it was embarassing) and we are looking at about $900 for this baby but the feel is night and day. I THOUGH I had a great bow... With the new one I might just go to 2 pins (25 yards and 50)

Wambli, if you're in the top of the line market, you gotta shoot the Bowtech Invasion CPX. Awesome. And expensive. I just got mine.
    That kinda depends, Matthews will bring out their new bows in a month or two. Bowtech, next year. I've bought a new bow three of the last 4 years, and the "leftovers" really don't get discounted that much. The new ones just cost more! They might knock $50 off a package deal, but they'll usually do that anyway, if you ask.
    I'd say jump now, you've got a much better chance of getting good money out of your bow, selling it outright.
    The archery shop set me up with a whisker biscuit tonight, and I got enough shots down their range to see that I have plenty of sight adjustment available in the directions I need to go. Ran the poundage up ten to 65#, which is a little uncomfortable, but what the hell - it builds character. Headed over to my buddy's tomorrow night to dope in the sights - hopefully to 50Y.

Complicated weekend:

Deer hunting on Friday
    200/300/600Y Highpower match on Saturday
    Maybe more deer hunting on Sunday (last day of archery-only)

As a wise man once said; "SCREW MODERATION!!":silly:

It's a good thing my wife wants a dead deer in the freezer as much as I do, otherwise, I'd probably be in big trouble. She actually works near the (semi) local Bass Pro Shop and volunteered to pick up another dozen arrows for me. :worthy:
    WWJMBD?

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,916 Senior Member
    Good Luck this weekend Bigslug, we might need to send my wife up to receive training from yours on what a freezer is really for.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Backed the poundage off half of what I cranked it up - so currently at 60#. Shot it all the way back to 50, but it looks like if I want my pins to go as low as 20, I'm gonna max out around 45. Still no grief there - 30 yards is about all can consistently get killin' groups at.

The Biscuit ROCKS!!! Not having to constantly keep my index finger on top of the arrow while waiting to shoot is NICE!
    WWJMBD?