Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

'Let's Move' stamps are killing our kids...

coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior MemberPosts: 6,624 Senior Member
"Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
George Carlin

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Looking for intelligence from a government agency is sort of like looking for feathers on bovines.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    The thing that really gets me about this...isn't the USPS just about the most 'underfunded', run-in-the-red, always hurting for coin government agency there is?? If the United States Postal Freaking Service has the bank to boot a re-do on these, I sure as shooting don't want to hear about anymore whining over budgets, etc. Why? Because this is the most ridiculous BS to come down the pike in some time....:bang:
    George Carlin
    Postage rates are going up in January. Done deal. The USPS wouldn't be in the red, or as far in the red, if the government wasn't milking it like a borrowed cow and feeding it sawdust.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Link not working.........

But to address problems with the USPS.......Union and their benny-package. My coworker's ex is a postal service guy..........in their divorce she got rights to his retirement package..........its another gooberment mess!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Yep and he was/is probably under the old system CSRS, much better than the FERS I'm under. You basically make your own retirement by contributions into the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) if you want anything beside a small monthly stipend. . They changed it back in the late 80s (?).

For 20 years and under it is 1% of your high three X the number of years you were in. So if you made $50,000 a year (high three) and did 20 years it would be $10,000 a year in retirement. Over 20 goes to 1.2%

However, federal LEOs/Firefighters/ATCs get 1.7% to start and other benefits we don't. They try to make you thunk you are actually getting a better package by having you "ADD" you Social Security/Military/any other retirement you may have into their total formula. So you would have to work civil service 40 years to make it a good deal.

Every day I hear those on the news yakking about federal retirements being too generous, it ain't if you started after 1987 or so. The only union right we have is filling a grievance.

I should be OK because I have been putting 15% of my pay into the TSP for 13 1/2 years, and like any investment in the stock market, it can go up and down. I put almost all of it into secure GOVT Bonds a couple years ago, if nothing else and their still is a GOVT, I'll get dollar fer dollar back anyhow. They do match up to 5% (some formula , buck fer buck the first 3 % and something something after that....???)

I will get to keep my health insurance at what I pay now, a little over $100 per week. So yes we do pay/contribute to our insurance, but that's only until 65 and then it's Medicare (?) and a use it as a secondary insurance if my plan will be worth it then.

I know some local and state agencies have very generous retirements and that is why they are (one reason) going broke.

I know federal/state/local employee bashing is a favorite topic of news talking heads on TV, but I wish they would get their facts straight before running off at the mouth and putting us all in the same category.

This last furlough did not exempt "Mission Essential" employees, only those deployed. A select very few stayed at work, usually supervisors and a few team leads.........to make sure the supervisors had someone around to answer questions and do what they could and keep their bosses butts outta hot water, I reckon.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Link not working.........

But to address problems with the USPS.......Union and their benny-package. My coworker's ex is a postal service guy..........in their divorce she got rights to his retirement package..........its another gooberment mess!

Sorry about the link not working. The gist of the story by ABC is that the USPS issued stamps to coincide with Michelle Obama's "Less fat kids in America" program. The stamps in question show kids doing various activities like Soccer, skateboarding, etc. The issue that some of the bedwetters have is that most (if not all) of the cartoon kids on the stamps are not wearing nanny-approved safety equipment...bicyclers are sans helmets as are the skaters, soccer players don't have shinguards, etc. The answer? Well, of course, you RECALL the untold millions of dollars worth of stamps and REPLACE them with untold millions more showing the proper use of said safety equipment for fear that some child somewhere might get hold of one of these unsafe stamps and act out the activities portrayed resulting in horrific injuries and immediate death. The fact that many, if not most kids already don't wear much of the safety equipment advised by the nanny state WITH THEIR PARENT'S APPROVAL and that those who do are not likely to ever see the stamps, let alone stop using the equipment that mom and dad require..."Well, the cartoon caricature of a kid kid on the stamp doesn't have to wear a helmet"....

Idiocy, thy name is Government....:bang:

Not to mention the original idiocy behind issuing the stamps in the first place. "Okay, we've issued stamps and put thousands of PSA commercials on TV and radio...why aren't kids getting skinnier?" Where is the freaking 'pissing money away' icon when you need one?
    George Carlin
    Also, I'm all for issuing stamps with Michelle and Obammy featured on them ....right after they vacate the premises at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave ................:tooth::roll2::roll2::roll2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Critics of federal pension and medical plans whine and complain, apologists whine and defend, but for what it's worth, I've never seen a federal retiree want for anything. Two of my best friends are retired federal employees, one military and the other civilian, and they live in grand style. Methinks they protesteth too much. They should just enjoy their golden parachutes and Cadillac medical care and stop playing 'victim.'
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,194 Senior Member
    I'm surprised I survived childhood without all the nanny state legislated equipment...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    I've never seen postal workers screw off, they seem to very busy delivering mail or waiting on long lines at the counter. I don't know where they lose all their money. I understand those who sort mail and work in the bulk mail centers stay very busy too.

I'm talking worker bees here.
    horselips wrote: »
    Critics of federal pension and medical plans whine and complain, apologists whine and defend, but for what it's worth, I've never seen a federal retiree want for anything. Two of my best friends are retired federal employees, one military and the other civilian, and they live in grand style. Methinks they protesteth too much. They should just enjoy their golden parachutes and Cadillac medical care and stop playing 'victim.'

Start your own thread and discuss that all you want. I would be happy to contribute! :wink:
    George Carlin
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,269 Senior Member
    We actually did this, left skin on the sidewalk, and howled like monkeys when mom sprayed Bactine on it.......

553444_368004839939323_1153551085_n.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Y'all were spoiled....we didn't even have Big Wheels in the 50s :tooth::roll2:
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    We actually did this, left skin on the sidewalk, and howled like monkeys when mom sprayed Bactine on it.......

553444_368004839939323_1153551085_n.jpg
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,383 Senior Member
    Hey horselips, read the numbers in Bigchiefs post, they do not add up to overcomfortable in retirement. They add uo to enough to make it if you take care and prepare for your OWN future.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Also, I'm all for issuing stamps with Michelle and Obammy featured on them

That wouldn't work- - - - -the stamps wouldn't stick. People would be spitting on the wrong side!
    :jester:
    Jerry
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Hey horselips, read the numbers in Bigchiefs post, they do not add up to overcomfortable in retirement. They add uo to enough to make it if you take care and prepare for your OWN future.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

I don't wanna be rich (and won't), just enough not to be a burden on my kids/society and have enough to get by. Buy some guns every now and again/reloading stuff.

It will take all three that I've earned/working on: my Army, FERS Civil Service and Social Security retirement/benefits to make it and some careful TSP investments I've made to make it.

Been moving around/deploying (X6 as DOD Civilian) to retire from the Army (4x overseas tours 12 years, back and forth in my 20) and keep my current job and I'm looking forward to one household when I retire again in about 2 years when I'm 62.

I certainly won't call it all a "Gravy Train" it took a lot of sacrifices by me and my family and hardships along the way. Yes, it will "Pay Off" in the end...I hope..way the GOVT is going right now.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Mark, the lips are on the wrong end of that horse, and I'll bet there was no military or public service of any sort involved. Consider the source!
    Jerry
    Horselips, if you're talking about Congress, you'd be right. Post Office retirement isn't all that and a bag of chips unless you're WAY up toward the top of the totem pole.

I retired from TVA(TN Valley Authority) at 50 y.o. BUT, I put in 12% of my earnings from day one into the retirement fund; they put in 3% max matching. I put almost ALL of my overtime pay into certificates of deposit or other interest bearing funds. And I worked a LOT of 80 and 96 hour weeks; overtime could be forced. If you were there for your regular shift, being forced to the next was a high probability. (Paying overtime was cheaper than hiring more workers.) I also worked my days off if I had nothing planned. A four day weekend would net 32 hours at time and a half, and 32 hours double time if I worked 16 hours each day.(1st and 3rd days were time and a half, 2nd and 4th days off were double time.) I'm paying for all that OT now; you can't work those hours for years without consequences.

If you save as much as you can, you can have a good deal of money to retire on when the time comes. If you save only the minimum, you're gonna be in trouble. My health insurance is NOT cheap and NOT paid by anyone but me. If I had to go on Obummercare it would be nearly triple what it is now. I get to keep the health insurance I have now, though.
    ― Douglas Adams
    cpj wrote: »
    The parody stamps are friggin hilarious. Google em.

Saw a few, and, yeah....pretty funny! :roll2:
    George Carlin
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,089 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Also, I'm all for issuing stamps with Michelle and Obammy featured on them

The only thing I want to see Barry and Moochelle featured on is the side of a milk carton.
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose