Some hunting and shooting with my son today

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 7,035 Senior Member
Our son came in for the weekend and we got in a day of loading, shooting, and hunting. We decided to use Sebastian's F-TR rifle (308 Win., shooting 200 grain Berger Hybrids @ 2650 fps) with the Joy-Pod.
We loaded about 20 rounds in the morning, then drove out to Mac's Gunworks to zero the TR rifle and my Rem 40X (308 Win., shooting 168 grain A-Max's @ 2730 fps).
The 40X was dead on, but the TR rifle took some tweaking, since the stock had been taken off, and of course put back on.
Got our 100 yard Zero, and shot at 400 and 500 to confirm drops with the TR rifle and the 40X. Both were spot on.
I shot both rifles and Erik just shot Seb's at the range.
Erik used Seb's TR rifle and his first two shots at distance (mid-range) put two shots touching at 500 yards:applause:
That was his 3rd and fourth time to shoot that rifle. He shot twice at 100 yards earlier.
Got out to the hunting area just after 1:00, and fairly soon, Erik spotted a herd of antelope with two bucks in it.
Erik decided he wanted to take the bedded buck. I ranged and gave wind correction, and Erik took the shot, and I saw the bullet impact on the bucks shoulder. The buck was quartering us, so it was not a broadside shot. We did not know it at the time, but it was really "dead buck moving" (maybe 15-20 yards before he stopped again). Erik put another one in him when he stopped and was broadside. That one dumped him immediately.
Later in the day I saw four different mule deer bucks, but passed on them to let them get better for next year. Two of them were tempting.
This is the most activity I have been able to do in a day for the past month and a half. This past Thursday seemed to be a turn around day for me. The shingles in my left thigh/knee area were still talking to me pretty hard late in the day, but I was very pleased. It was great to get out.
Seb was really pleased to see his rifle and the Joy-Pod get field tested:jester:
I will put up some pics tomorrow.
This is Erik's first big game kill with a rifle.
Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Congrats to you both... Eric for the antelope and you for the shingles recovery.
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,554 Senior Member
    I call shenanigans! Everybody knows the 308 is a 100 yard rifle at best..... ;)
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,035 Senior Member
    I never said the distance. It could have been under 100 yards:jester:
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    I call shenanigans! Everybody knows the 308 is a 100 yard rifle at best..... ;)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member

must have been some pretty strong winds for you to be calling

Call it a hunch.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,611 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Awesome.

But man, that seems like a buuuuuuunch of .308s. Just sayin.

Hope you get to feeling better.

Yeah.......that........
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    There is going to be another 308 added to the family in the near future as Sebastian has asked Erik to be on a SEB F-Class team.
    I already have a standing order for more 308 (Palma) Lapua brass.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    You must be empathic:wink:
    It was not as far as his longest specialty pistol kill.
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Call it a hunch.....
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    He was not going for the size of the horns, but rather a certain set-up to use the Joy-Pod.
    DSC01783_zpse398b471.jpg
    ErikAntelope_zps72ad0858.jpg
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    He was not going for the size of the horns, but rather a certain set-up to use the Joy-Pod.

Hows that saying go? You can't eat horns...
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    It was great shooting
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,728 Senior Member
    Great to see that you are able to get out and about again Ernie esp with your son on a hunt.

His grin says it all.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Glad to hear you could get out and get in a little shooting time. Nice antelope!
    That bipod looks super stable. I like it!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Thank you.
    The bi-pod weighs a tad over a pound-Very lightweight.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,844 Senior Member
    Nice shootin' by the gosling :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 460 Member
    Sounds like a perfect weekend, loading, shooting, hunting with your son. And a successful hunt, those pics are great! That bi-pod sure looks stable, and nice rifle too.
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire