New Pocket Popper

45er45er MemberPosts: 53 Member
I finally broke down and bought a bitty gun. I'm really happy with how light and easy it is to carry.

Kel Tec P3AT in Coyote Tan with the tan Cerakote finish on the slide.

IMG_22621.jpg

I got the 9 round mag with grip extension. They only had it in black, so bullsi and I are talking about rectifying that. I'm running it through the ringer and doing a review this weekend.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    That is a pocket gun alright :cool:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    WOW!!! That is a tiny gun, a for sure pocket pistol:yikes:
  • glockman0422glockman0422 Member Posts: 216 Member
    Very cool gun. Nice color too!!!!!!! I have a Keltec PF9 which is my EDC gun. I pretty much carry it everywhere except at work. These small guns are just so comfortable to carry.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    There ya go! Everyone needs a decent little pocket pistol. Let us know how she shoots.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    What caliber is it? I want a small pocket popper like that for a carry weapon. That one looks real sweet and compact. I bet it's light too. I just would like to know what caliber it is. I would like a small 9mm or at least a 380. Not that I think you need a real powerful hand gun to quell Mr. BG, but just because. Right now I carry a 32 ACP which is pretty minute. But I figure you pop some BG beast in the knee he's out of businesss for a while and he ain't gonna run too far. Also, if he gets persistant and you pop him in the right part of the head, he's worm dinner.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Kel-Tecs are great little pistols! I also have a PF9 for summer carry, as well as an older P32. KT's customer service is fantastic, in case you ever have to have anything repaired. I bought my P32 used, and shortly afterward it started dropping the mag when I shot it. I sent it back to KT for an estimate, and they replaced every part except the frame, absolutely free!!

Been perfect ever since...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    That is one neat little pocket pistol!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like that coyote Tan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Waiting for the shooting review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    I like the color a lot, but if you drop it you aren't going to be able to find it again. :uhm:
  • 45er45er Member Posts: 53 Member
    It is in .380 ACP and it is little and LIGHT. Bullsi has one in .32 and he really likes his. I have a couple of friends that let me shoot theirs in this same caliber and I really like the controllability. I plan on doing a full review of the gun and the Hornady Critical Defense ammo after I put her through the ringer this weekend. I've been carrying it in the pocket of my cargo shorts around the house and you don't even realize it is there. My DeSantis pocket holster got here in the mail today, so I'll get to include that in the review/testing. I debated getting the PF 9, but I wanted a true pocket carry and the family of 9s is just a bit much for certain types of clothing. I'm realizing this thing is really filling in a gap that I had and helping me carry more than I could before. I can't carry at work, so I have to strap on as soon as I get in my vehicle. If I'm not dressed to allow this, the Kel Tec is an easy option.

Yes, the color is awesome. When I lay it on the beige leather seats in my car, it disappears! Justin has a good point. In Texas, everything is so dry that if that thing hits the ground, it will blend in with all the dead grass.
    That's right on about being dry here in Texas. 380 would be fine for me. I don't think it gives up much to a 9mm and it looks to be a perfect pocket carry size. That's what i do now anyway is pocket carry. I even carry my S&W Mod. 469 in my pocket, although it is a bit bulky and heavy. My 32 fits my pocket like a wallet. I don't know it's there. And although I don't feel undergunned with it, I wouldn't mind having something just a tad bigger. What did this one set you back, if you don't mind me asking?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,769 Senior Member
    I wish you did not have plans this weekend, we are having an impromptu Central Texas Shoot tomorrow morning. Meeting up at Kreutz Market in Lockhart.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Snake: It's a little unfair because I have a friend that is a dealer and I ordered through him, so it was about $220 for the gun itself. I added the mag (around $25.00), then tax and shipping it was all under $300. One thing about the more moderately priced guns like Kel Tecs is that the dealer cost doesn't seem to be a ton less than you can find them for on the internet and have it shipped to your dealer. I got the DeSantis Nemesis holster from Midway USA for $15.00.

Bullsi: Oh, well that stinks. Any other weekend and I'd have been there.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,769 Senior Member
    You shoot it yet?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • WheelgunnerWheelgunner New Member Posts: 11 New Member
    Hope you took a shooting glove with you. That thing is punishing to shoot.
    Smokeless powder and automatic pistols are merely passing fads that will simply distract you from the fine art of shooting.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    I keep being intrigued by the little pocket guns and the concept behind them. Easy to carry, I am often tempted when handling them. But.....I always come to my senses when I remember the caliber. :tooth:
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    Is that pronounced "kye-yo-tee" or "kye-yo-tay", as in "Wile E. Kye-yo-tay"? :jester:

I guess it wouldn't be sufficiently macho to say your gun was "khaki"

Tan. . .it's the new black. :roll:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    That's cool 45er, I have a friend like that too. He doesn't charge me anything, but I always slip him a $20 because I know he incurs expenses. So I should be able to get one for a similar price. I like it. And 380 is just right for me. Like I said, I don't feel threatened even with teh 32 ACP, so a .380 should almost be overkill for me, LOL! Seriously, I love the color and the size of that.
    Wheelgunner: It's true when they say it isn't a "range gun". Then again, my wife's soft hands did just fine with it. She did make a comment about the aggressive checkering, but said she totally understood once the hands start sweating.

BP: That is one of the reasons I really wanted to test the ammo to make sure it would do what I expect it to do. I normally carry a Glock 23, but summer in Texas isn't the best for that kind of carry all of the time. I am actually able to carry comfortably with this when dress dictates (mostly business casual) and less likely to not have a gun. That covers the first rule of a gunfight. I've carried the Glock in both a 5.11 Tactical undershirt (neoprene in the summer, yay) and Kangaroo belly bad. Neither are fun, but I did it just to have one.

BigSlug: We pronounce it coy-yo-tee, but I just call it tan.

Snake: It sounds like we have the same set up. I always include "dealer tip" in with everything. Sometimes with where I live, it's the ability to get exactly what you want as opposed to saving tons of money. We should be overrun with gun stores around here, but we aren't and they don't carry a lot of stock to choose from.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    One thing I did have to do with both my PF9 and P32 - I had to sand down the flash line down the middle of the grip frame where it was molded. Just took a fine, small round file and removed the tiny fin that got really big under recoil.

Feels much better now!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    Good idea, LM. Mine isn't very pronounced at all, but that's a good idea for any "hot spot" that tends to show itself.