357 Magnum for deer?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,658 Senior Member
Seriously considering using my 6" 357 for deer this season, As you may have seen in the video from my game cam, does are frequently passing within 30 yards of one of my shooting houses.
The load I'll be using is a both 158gr either an XTP or a Gold dot and MV should be ~1400-1500 fps.

The does around here average 80 pounds or so, they're no terribly large.
So, what say you? Is the 357 a capable deer cartridge?
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,658 Senior Member
    What bullet you use?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Sure. Just hit it right.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee wrote: »
    Just hit it right.
    That's a given with most anything (short of a 404 Jeffery :p ) :jester:

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    Shot an 85 lb hog with it, right in the rib cage. Ran 20 feet and fell over.

110 grain white box stuff. If that will kill a hog, the load you're using will definitely kill a deer.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Seriously considering using my 6" 357 for deer this season, As you may have seen in the video from my game cam, does are frequently passing within 30 yards of one of my shooting houses.
    The load I'll be using is a both 158gr either an XTP or a Gold dot and MV should be ~1400-1500 fps.

In the scenario you've described I wouldn't hesitate to use a .357 mag. I did once with just a regular ol' garden variety 158 grn JHP. She didn't drop at the shot but she didn't go far. If I had to do it over again I'd take the high lung shot. I may take mine out this year.
    Good luck if you get a shot.

I think S&W may have touted the .357 as a deer slayer when first introduced.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs

• Rim PhyrRim Phyr Member Posts: 71 Member
    No doubt about it. Before you go afield practice with the round your going to hunt with.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,829 Senior Member
    Why not? Keep it at bow hunting ranges and you'll be golden...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    If a .44 mag is good enough for elk, then a .357 is good enough for deer, especially those light ones y'all have out there. I would go heavy on the bullet to make sure it penetrates deep enough.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    Do it.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    Paul, I've killed two, with a .357, one with a 6" Ruger Security 6, and one with a 6" Colt Trooper MKIII. Both were killed with a 158 grain SWC, gas check, cast out of pure linotype, over 18 grains of H-110. Both went down within sight. Not to mention the dozen, or so, that I finished off, when they were hit by a vehicle, while I was on duty............Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    Plan on it Ned :tooth:

Thanks Robin :beer:

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,720 Senior Member
    Hornady LeveRevolution, or however it is spelled. I have not tried a box yet.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'd use a SP bullet instead of an HP because I'd like an entrance and exit hole. Other than that I think it'll be fine.
    E, as small as our deer are, I'm expecting an exit from either the XTP or Gold Dot. Could be wrong though :uhm:
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Hornady LeveRevolution, or however it is spelled. I have not tried a box yet.
    Thought about picking up some of those, but have been dissatisfied with the 30/160 & 50/300 performance on game, so it has kind of soured me on them.

• minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 708 Senior Member
    I will have my 6" 686 on my hip for deer season this year
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    I personally have not hunted with the .357, however my shooting partner lived in Ohio where it was a no rifle state, only shotguns or handguns.

He used his scoped Dan Wesson .357 with an 8 inch barrel to take two Ohio deer, over 150 lbs each.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    Paul, I've killed two, with a .357, one with a 6" Ruger Security 6, and one with a 6" Colt Trooper MKIII. Both were killed with a 158 grain SWC, gas check, cast out of pure linotype, over 18 grains of H-110. Both went down within sight. Not to mention the dozen, or so, that I finished off, when they were hit by a vehicle, while I was on duty............Robin

Man, that load sounds like a hammer.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,499 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I personally have not hunted with the .357, however my shooting partner lived in Ohio where it was a no rifle state, only shotguns or handguns.

He used his scoped Dan Wesson .357 with an 8 inch barrel to take two Ohio deer, over 150 lbs each.

D
    Sure. They've been legal for use here for at least 30 years.
    Straight walled case, .357 caliber or larger, minimum 5" barrel, or some such, is how the law reads.
    They used to have a 1" minimum case length, (45acp was illegal), but they did away with it a few years ago.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Most definitely capable
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • stepmacstepmac Member Posts: 172 Member
    knitepoet wrote: »

Only if you are a good enough shot with your pistol to hit him in a vital spot. Lotta people are not.
  • WheresMyGunWheresMyGun Member Posts: 139 Member
    with rifle or pistol......... it's been the same 158gr hard cast swc......... keeps it simple.
    ........ i used to know a guy who popped them a few times ........ once at 110yds with a handgun and a 125gr h.p bullet ..........don't recall the brand ......... and not my pick at all but he used it often .................. but there sure are better ones out there
    HIYA WMG, where you been mi amigo?

• WheresMyGunWheresMyGun Member Posts: 139 Member
    been around ........... needed to step up my retirement date to end of this year ................ so busy trying to make sure an early go doesn't kill me ................ and JEEPIN! ................... lots of jeepin ............................ i love jeepin