Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Shutdown over, AKA GOP caved

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
Looks like the only result of the shutdown was 16 day paid vacation for Federal workers.
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod


«13

Replies

  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Well, another result is further proof that the Republican party lacks a coherent message. Or better said, a coherent messenger.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,064 Senior Member
    Whatever the results, the Repubs were going to get blamed for the whole works. It's not only the GOP that lacks leadership, but the entire country, starting at the top. The presitater only knows one way to lead, Chicago style. Thuggery, intimidation, and blackmail, not unlike Adolf, Benito, and Uncle Joe.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    The only Congressmen who don't ultimately give in to whatever Obama/Harry Reid want to cram down our throats are those supported by the Tea Party, and they are demonized relentlessly by the Democrats, the media, and the Republican establishment. I just hope they hang tough until enough people in enough places demand more candidates like them to run against the pansies who go along to get along.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    The only Congressmen who don't ultimately give in to whatever Obama/Harry Reid want to cram down our throats are those supported by the Tea Party, and they are demonized relentlessly by the Democrats, the media, and the Republican establishment. I just hope they hang tough until enough people in enough places demand more candidates like them to run against the pansies who go along to get along.
    Yep. There weren't enough there this time, but we have to support the ones that are there and get some more of them in. We need to keep it up and either one of two things will happen-- A) They completely take over the Republican party, or B) They are strong enough to split off into a serious 3rd party.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Looks like the only result of the shutdown was 16 day paid vacation for Federal workers.

    Mine was only 3 1/2 days. :tooth:

    Shutdown should have never happened, it was a fool's errand. No way they could have defunded Obama care, not without a majority in both houses of Congress.

    They should let O'care run for a year for those who actually want it and not penalize those who don't sign up for it, collect all that data on how screwed up and expensive it is. Then after folks start screaming like raped apes get it repealed.

    Tell me again what the shutdown accomplished? Notta, but hurt a lot of folks with the ripple effect on down the line.

    Ted Cruz got to jack his jaws and had his hour in the sun, now what?

    Congress is still spending our money like there is no tomorrow, they slipped some Pork into the bill they passed yesterday for a Dam Project in KY and to pay a rich Senator's widow money she doesn't need, he left 10s of millions to her.

    I find the Tea Party about as distasteful as those on the far left.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,562 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Shutdown should have never happened, it was a fool's errand. No way they could have
    defunded Obama care, not without a majority in both houses of Congress.

    They should let O'care run for a year for those who actually want it and not penalize those who don't sign up for it, collect all that data on how screwed up and expensive it is. Then after folks start screaming like raped apes get it repealed.

    +1:up:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Does anybody else remember what a resounding success "Hilary Care" was? Tennessee tried replacing Medicaid with something called "Tenncare"- - - - -which was an unmitigated disaster! It was supposed to be the pilot program for a nationwide socialized medicine plan, but the whole idea got put on the back burner, only to be resurrected like a zombie by Curious George.
    Jerry
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I say it's time to throw ALL the bums out and start over again!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,390 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I say it's time to throw ALL the bums out and start over again!

    You got that right BigChief
    too bad most people will vote them right back into office next election
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I find the Tea Party about as distasteful as those on the far left.

    The way things stand right now, that makes you a 'moderate Republican,' represented by John McCain and Lindsay Graham, plus the northeastern liberals and the RINOS.

    Grab your ankles - amnesty is probably next. :silly:
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I say it's time to throw ALL the bums out.

    FIFY.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

    Adam J. McCleod


  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    The way things stand right now, that makes you a 'moderate Republican,' represented by John McCain and Lindsay Graham, plus the northeastern liberals and the RINOS.

    Grab your ankles - amnesty is probably next. :silly:

    The whacky fringes of both sides turn me off. My politics usually fall on a conservative ticket, but not always. I'll vote AC/DC if I feel like it :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,203 Senior Member
    :that::agree:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Mine was only 3 1/2 days. :tooth:

    Shutdown should have never happened, it was a fool's errand. No way they could have defunded Obama care, not without a majority in both houses of Congress.

    They should let O'care run for a year for those who actually want it and not penalize those who don't sign up for it, collect all that data on how screwed up and expensive it is. Then after folks start screaming like raped apes get it repealed.

    Tell me again what the shutdown accomplished? Notta, but hurt a lot of folks with the ripple effect on down the line.

    Ted Cruz got to jack his jaws and had his hour in the sun, now what?

    Congress is still spending our money like there is no tomorrow, they slipped some Pork into the bill they passed yesterday for a Dam Project in KY and to pay a rich Senator's widow money she doesn't need, he left 10s of millions to her.

    I find the Tea Party about as distasteful as those on the far left.
    That's the same deal I got in November 1995. We came to work, were told we had to leave. then paid for 4 hours. Three work days later a continuing resolution was passed. It was a short "paid vacation". I agree 100% with your observations.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Looks like the only result of the shutdown was 16 day paid vacation for Federal workers.

    What did you expect? Senators and Representatives are also federal workers. Naturally, their only loyalty is to their fellow federal workers. And since they have access to all of everybody else's money, and if they run out of that they can borrow tons more in your name, or, they can just print all they want, an extra 2 week paid vacation for their buds was an easy call. If you're not a federal worker and you get furloughed for any reason...don't ask - you're on your own - welcome to the real world. Federal workers are as exempt from the uncertainties of life as Congress is exempt from the laws they pass.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    What did you expect? Senators and Representatives are also federal workers. Naturally, their only loyalty is to their fellow federal workers. And since they have access to all of everybody else's money, and if they run out of that they can borrow tons more in your name, or, they can just print all they want, an extra 2 week paid vacation for their buds was an easy call. If you're not a federal worker and you get furloughed for any reason...don't ask - you're on your own - welcome to the real world. Federal workers are as exempt from the uncertainties of life as Congress is exempt from the laws they pass.

    I expected a little more from the GOP. Why in the hell did they force a shutdown, if they were gonna give Obama EVERYTHING he wanted?!?! The party as a whole is weak and spineless. Everytime Obama wants the debt ceiling raised the GOP will just allow it to happen.

    I honestly believe they are forcing the citizenry into complete submission or civil war.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

    Adam J. McCleod


  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    What did you expect? Senators and Representatives are also federal workers. Naturally, their only loyalty is to their fellow federal workers. And since they have access to all of everybody else's money, and if they run out of that they can borrow tons more in your name, or, they can just print all they want, an extra 2 week paid vacation for their buds was an easy call. If you're not a federal worker and you get furloughed for any reason...don't ask - you're on your own - welcome to the real world. Federal workers are as exempt from the uncertainties of life as Congress is exempt from the laws they pass.

    Yep horselips, I'm in cahoots with Congress to screw you every chance we can.......:tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »

    I honestly believe they are forcing the citizenry into complete submission or civil war.

    I don't own a tin foil hat, but the same thoughts have crossed my mind. If ever there was a time that the United States of America needed a strong leader, this is that time. Perhaps since the Civil War.
    I'm not as old as many of you and I'm older than a few but when in our life times have seen such talk of secession. Someone from TX even put that on the Whitehouse website. And articles posted in the press about how the different states might align themselves with other states as the USA breaks up.Has anyone ever seen such things? I don't recall ever having done so.
    And before anyone accuses me of maybe not owning but renting a tinfoil hat I will say that I have no doubt the we'll survive Oblunder.
    But what concerns me is can we survive an electorate that elected him. Twice.
    That question was part of the decision making process of where we bought our house.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    what concerns me is can we survive an electorate that elected him. Twice.

    Look at what's been happening in Europe when the parasites got their entitlements cut back a little. The next civil unrest in this country will be between the parasites and the providers. Any attempt to dial back on what we taxpayers are giving to the welfare leeches will result in the kind of rioting that will make the zombie apocalypse look like the Mad Hatter's tea party.
    Jerry
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,192 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Look at what's been happening in Europe when the parasites got their entitlements cut back a little. The next civil unrest in this country will be between the parasites and the providers. Any attempt to dial back on what we taxpayers are giving to the welfare leeches will result in the kind of rioting that will make the zombie apocalypse look like the Mad Hatter's tea party.
    Jerry

    I agree 100% Jerry. Its easy to give a stray dog a bone..............ever tried getting it back?
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    Oblunder.
    But what concerns me is can we survive an electorate that elected him. Twice.

    Nailed it dead on the head.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Senators have no incentive to their jobs after 6 years. Free healthcare for life, and their salaries for life.

    The annual salary of each senator, as of 2013, is $174,000 the president pro tempore and party leaders receive $193,400.[In June 2003, at least 40 of the then-senators were millionaires.

    Along with earning salaries, senators receive retirement and health benefits that are identical to other federal employees, and are fully vested after five years of service. Senators are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) or Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS). As it is for federal employees, congressional retirement is funded through taxes and the participants' contributions. Under FERS, senators contribute 1.3% of their salary into the FERS retirement plan and pay 6.2% of their salary in Social Security taxes. The amount of a senator's pension depends on the years of service and the average of the highest 3 years of their salary. The starting amount of a senator's retirement annuity may not exceed 80% of their final salary. In 2006, the average annual pension for retired senators and representatives under CSRS was $60,972, while those who retired under FERS, or in combination with CSRS, was $35,952.

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,815 Senior Member
    It's pretty discouraging to read here "conservatives" whining about the GOP and the establishment Republicans acting like Democraps on one hand, and then on the other hand whining about TEA party people acting like Republicans by taking some action. You can't have it both ways. If the establishment types hadn't caved in to the pressure, there's a good chance we would have actually gotten something out of it. Don't you know, the "compromise" along with giveaway bribes for individual legislators gave Ovomit a suspended debt limit, which means THERE IS NO DEBT LIMIT!! He can freakin' spend whatever he wants. The TEA party is the only way left for America's salvation. We are DOG-TURD dead if more of these types don't replace the RINO-Neocon slugs that are in there now. This is total BULLCRAP! RINO-Neocons caved in just like a sinkhole. I would specify another type of hole, but I want to keep my membership in this club.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,441 Senior Member
    The KY dam project was sponsored in part by Mitch McConnell. A republican.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Lamar Alexander, the Tennessee RINO, sponsored the dam pork-barrel project also. He really needs to be put out to pasture, and I'll be campaigning for his opponent in the Republican primary!
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Lamar Alexander, the Tennessee RINO, sponsored the dam pork-barrel project also. He really needs to be put out to pasture, and I'll be campaigning for his opponent in the Republican primary!
    Jerry

    Me too, to, two, tu, also. He needs to go. Really bad needs to go. And that Corker feller with him.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Too bad we can't give them both the boot at the same time! Maybe they could be appointed ambassadors to Lower Slobbovia or something!
    Jerry
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    This is not original from me, i read it somewhere, perhaps here. But I fear we're nearing a tipping point where it's too late to work within the system but too early to shoot the bastidges.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    This is not original from me, i read it somewhere, perhaps here. But I fear we're nearing a tipping point where it's too late to work within the system but too early to shoot the bastidges.

    Claire Wolfe quote from 1996. "It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." From the book '101 Things to do Until the Revolution". A pretty good read if you can find it.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Can you see the similarities here?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3RNsZvdYZQ

    The line in the sand must be drawn an held onto with the courage and fortitude of a suicide mission.......Republicans retreated to save themselves, not the country. Tsk Tsk.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement