A good deer story to tell that will actually get told

RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior MemberPosts: 4,646 Senior Member
First, I didn't kill anything so don't get your hopes up.

Anyway, I haven't much felt like hunting hard lately but yesterday afternoon something flung a craving on me. It was the last day of a landowner antlerless only hunt. And you could use a rifle. So I went out to my bow set up near a trail junction where I've hung a feeder. But I backed way off. The critters were active and a grey squirrel nearly ran over the toe of my boot and never panicked. A couple of Pileated Woodpeckers were fussing at each other, and a big V of Honkers flew over at treetop level. all in all a good time in the woods so far.
Then the wind shifted a little. Not enough to blow my set up entirely but enough to be a little dicey. So I decided I would slip over the ridge to the north and just watch down the hill as I know a big buck beds down there and I thought I might see him stand up as it was by now the witching hour.
So I'm slipping along real slow like and while I was stopped I caught movement out of the corner of my right eye. I took me something over 30 seconds to slowly turn my head far enough to see what it was.
And what I saw was the body of a huge deer on one side of a tree and one antler sticking out on the other side. And man was it ever an antler. I froze as he stepped out and I saw his whole rack. A magnificent 10 point. I've seen better mass but the spread was at least 20" maybe more.
We were standing there looking at each other from less than 20 yards away. I don't know about him but my heart was about bust outta my chest. He starts doing that foot stomping thing trying to get me to move. But I don't.
I don't know how long that went on but he finally walked off a little ways and turned and looked back at me. He did this a few more times then he pogo'd off like a Mule Deer. He stopped maybe 75 yards away facing directly away from me, lifted his head til his antlers were almost touching his back and blew the alarm. He turned his head to the left then blew again, same thing to his right.
Then he waltzed on down the hill and out of site. I slipped out and went back to watch for does.

This all happened right behind our barn. After he turned away the first time, I could have gotten my rifle up but I didn't. And i remember thinking several different times, "there's your shot", but I never took it. I don't know how long it took for my heart rate to come down but I was practically hyperventilating.

I will never forget that experience and it's good to know we've got such a magnificent creature working the place.

And THAT, gentlemen is why I hunt.
Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,553 Senior Member
    That is a rare experience that most of us will never have. I have never seen a deer actually stand its ground or blow an alarm. Yes, that really was a great day. :up:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,269 Senior Member
    I had a similar experience several years ago during the archery season. I got to my stand before daylight and stayed there until 9:30 AM or so. A squirrel was playing around in the dry leaves uphill from me the whole time- - - -making all sorts of noise, and of course, each time he would rustle the leaves I'd look to see if maybe it was a deer this time. Nope, just that blasted squirrel! Finally the urge to pee got unbearable, so I climbed down and walked 75 yards or so away from the stand to avoid leaving any telltale human scent. Just as I was taking care of business, the leaves rustled again. "Danged squirrels!"- - - -nope, this time it was a small 4-point buck that had run down the hill to within 30 yards of me and stopped short- - - -something didn't look or smell right to him, and I'm facing the wrong way with the wrong "gun" in my hand! We stood there frozen for what seemed like 10 minutes- - - -probably more like 2 or 3, I'm sure. My bow is in my left hand, with an arrow nocked, and my right- - - - -well, you know- - - - -! I finally tried to spin around, draw and shoot. Nope, not gonna happen! As soon as I moved, he got into afterburner headed uphill!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,534 Senior Member
    What a Great experience, Thanks for sharing
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,118 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    That is a rare experience that most of us will never have. I have never seen a deer actually stand its ground or blow an alarm. Yes, that really was a great day. :up:
    When my wife and I were on our honeymoon, we had a deer do more than that - it lowered its head and charged!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 403 Member

Awesome encounter. :up:

I was sitting on the ground with my back to a tree, rifle on lap, binocs up and doing a slooww-scan one day when I saw a younger buck so close I could hardly focus...watching me, watch him. It was really comical.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,597 Senior Member
    Hope you get to see him again.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Anyway, I haven't much felt like hunting hard lately but yesterday afternoon something flung a craving on me.

Excellent. Hunting is like fishing...........every day you spend doing it is another day you can add to your lifetime.

.............We were standing there looking at each other from less than 20 yards away. I don't know about him but my heart was about bust outta my chest.

Better than excellent. It doesn't matter how many times I am close to deer..........the feeling hasn't dimmed since I saw my first one.

Yep........me too.

Incidents like these are not common but when they happen the 'buzz' lasts a lifetime.

..............Sooooo, when are you heading out again? :devil:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    That, Razorbacker, was your experience with the World of Nature. Accept it, remember it , and be humbly grateful that you had it. It didn't happen by chance.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,727 Senior Member
    Even a fork horn does the same to me, that is the best part of being in the woods.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,492 Senior Member
    In 1983 i was hunting Snow Geese with a buddy at Anahuac NWR east of Houston Tx. We set up our deeks and about 200 rags, just after sun up a huge flock was headed our way so we started calling and they started comming in, Jerry was about 50 yards from me and here they come, wings cupped landing gear down, there were thousands of them walking around us, pecking at our boots, and we just kept talking to them. After about 1 hour they took off. We never raised our guns or even tried to shoot.

The game warden was on the dike 1/2 mile away taking pictures, and told us his estimate was 10,000 geese.

[QUOTE=Razorbacker;284169
    I will never forget that experience and it's good to know we've got such magnificent creatures working the place.

And THAT, gentlemen is why I hunt.[/QUOTE]

It was a once in a lifetime experience.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,269 Senior Member
    Snow geese are too smart now- - - - -it's just about impossible to get them within range of a Ma Deuce these days! If there's going to be any way to keep their numbers in check by hunting, it would be a good idea to include a .22-250 in the "allowed weapons" list. Bushwhack 'em on the ground from long range!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    That, Razorbacker, was your experience with the World of Nature. Accept it, remember it , and be humbly grateful that you had it. It didn't happen by chance.

Oh I do and I will and I am. It could have been a doe and it still would have been cool but of course I would have shot her. I wish I would have been wearing a helmet cam so you guys could have seen it. That particular area is very heavily wooded Large, mature Oak, Ash and some huge Cedar trees. So there's no under story growth. It's actually pretty open. The way the Sun was low and the light was filtered. It was better than any hunting video I've ever seen. It's not often you get that close to a big buck. Especially standing on the ground.I'm convinced he never knew what I was. And I know he didn't smell me.
    Another thing that I think makes it cool, at least for me. It was on our place. A neck shot would have dropped him right there. No one would have ever known. Hell, I could have laid my bow across him, snapped a pic and dreamed up some cock and bull story for you guys.
    And y'all would have ood and ahd and patted me on the back. But it would be an empty soul to live with something like that.
    Which brings me to Jay's story. Sometimes, not always, but sometimes, it's when we don't shoot when we could have, that the magic happens.
    O-man, muzzle loader season opens in the morning, I hope it will be as cool and as foggy as it is today.
    Anyway, I've enjoyed y'all's stories too. Keep 'em coming if you got 'em.
    Well, the alarm is set. Coffee is all set up and my clothes and equipment are all set and ready for the ML opener. I've got a plan in my head. I'll hunt hard all day.
    Y'all wish me luck.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,056 Senior Member
    Good luck!
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Good luck!

Thank you brother Jerm. I want that buck in the worst way but we've been outta venison for a long time so if it's brown it's down. Plus the buck/doe ratio is seriously outta whack around here.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,056 Senior Member
    Well get your butt to bed, get a good night's sleep and give us a field report in the morning! Heck, yearlings aren't very big, but they are the best eating. Score us some deer!!!
    Heading out. Looked at the forecast last night and found out the wind was going to be wrong, dead wrong, for my favored set up. Taking the dogs out this morning confirms it.
    Looks like a sneakin' and peekin' kinda day...
    Well I didn't get a shot but the deer were moving. About 9 I heard one blow way off then sqw it run off. I know I didn't spook it. A little while later I heard another one blow way up wind somewhere. So I let all that settle down and headed out slipping into the wind. I checked the time at 11 and figured I'd covered maybe 200 yards.
    I noticed a fresh rub and slipped over to check it out, I snapped a limb under the leaves and jumped one from about 50 yards away. Dang it! I never saw it's head but it was big. The trails looked heavily used and there were lots of droppings so I picked out a log to sit on thinking maybe that last one might try to slip back in as it didn't seem to me like he'd gone very far.
    About an hour later I heard what I'm sure was 2 bucks fighting. I kept looking that way and finally I could make out a deer moving to my left. I got him in the scope and man was he nice. A real shooter in just about anybody's book. But I just couldn't get a clear shot. I stayed a while longer and heard that fighting sound again and then something heavy running off. I hung in there a while but got hungry so I came back to the house for a sandwich and a quick trip to town, then I'll head back out.
    Man what a great morning in the deer woods.
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    My first season deer hunting on one of the last days Dad and I were hunting a pasture behind the house. This was an evening hunt when we walked almost a half mile to the back of the pasture skirted the pond and eased across an 80 of wheat to the north fence row.

Dad had already found a nice cottonwood we could both sit in. With maybe 30 minutes left before sunset Dad tapped me on the foot. We were sitting facing north west looking over pasture and wheat field. Coming from the east following the fence row was a doe and that years fawn just barely out of spots.

They walked within 25 feet of our tree turned and crossed at a spot the old five wire was down and went out into the wheat field. When they got onto the wheat south of us momma picked up our scent and led baby away. She never flagged and ran though just a slow trot.

I will always remember that evening, those deer were close enough I almost could have jumped on their backs. I have been hooked ever since.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    cpj wrote: »
    Me too. Sometimes it mo-bettah than killing one.
    I was sitting on a contraption called a tree seat. As the name implies, it was a seat..that went on a tree. Kinda silly, but allowed you to be on the ground, yet stand up easily to draw your bow if needed. Anyway, a nice 8pointer crossed the fence and head straight for me. He didn't know I was there, he was just traveling. He got dead even with me, less than 10 yards away! He never looked my way, and had he walked another 6 inches his vision would have been blocked by a tree, which was when I would draw. He stood there for what seems like hours, then I'm guessing he winded me and took off like lightning. He never saw me though, that I could tell. That's been 20 years ago, and I remember it like it was this morning.

i used one of those seats for years. Actually pretty handy. I went out at first light this morning and at 9:30 I saw a nice buck but no shot. I saw 5 deer to day 4 bucks and 1 doe. The last 2 at 1/4 to noon. These things are on the move non stop. Gonna head back out now.
    Well I'm afraid I didn't save these pics right but had an odd little duck hit the feeder last night. I saw him in person today and I also saw him when he was still in velvet last Summer.
    Lt see if at least one pic got saved
    And another one I hope
    I think he needs to be removed from the gene pool. Maybe even for his own sake, no sell respecting doe is going to stand still for him.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    farm boy wrote: »
    I think he needs to be removed from the gene pool. Maybe even for his own sake, no sell respecting doe is going to stand still for him.

You know I think you're probably right but I read somewhere once that such things can be caused by damage while in velvet. One funny thing is that i saw him today following a really nice typical. Which is odd because the big boys usually let the younger ones lead the way.
    But if i get a nice clean shot, and I'm very picky with a ML, I'll more than likely take him.
    BTW, I very much enjoyed your story about hunting with your dad. I grew up without much contact with my dad, so I'm completely self taught.
    BTW, I very much enjoyed your story about hunting with your dad. I grew up without much contact with my dad, so I'm completely self taught.

It makes it all the more special to me because ONLY went deer hunting because I wanted to go. He hates cleaning them and doesn't really care to eat them.
    Dad 5-31-13