Michigan Walmart worker says he was fired for helping assaulted woman

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Wal-mart needs to fire the manager or whoever at HQ decided to fire this fellow. And rehire him. They blew it big time on this. Jerks :cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/17/michigan-walmart-worker-says-was-fired-for-helping-assaulted-woman/?intcmp=latestnews

A Michigan man says he was fired from his job at Walmart after he tried to help a woman being assaulted in the parking lot of one of the retail giant's stores and ended up fighting with her attacker.

Kristopher Oswald told WXYZ-TV in Detroit that Walmart has policies against workplace violence to prevent employees from assaulting co-workers or tackling a shoplifter, but that it appears that nothing allows for them to assist in situations of imminent danger and self-defense.

A spokeswoman for Bentonville, Ark.-based Walmart Stores Inc. told The Associated Press on Thursday that while the company understood Oswald's intentions, his actions violated company policy.

"We had to make a tough decision, one that we don't take lightly, and he's no longer with the company," company spokeswoman Ashley Hardie said.

Oswald, 30, said he was in his car on his break about 2:30 a.m. Sunday when he saw a man grabbing a woman. He said he asked her if she needed help and the man started punching him in the head and yelling that he was going to kill him. Oswald said he was able to get on top of the man, but then two other men jumped him from behind.

Livingston County sheriff's deputies arrived and halted the fight.

Oswald said the Hartland Township store's management gave him paperwork saying that "after a violation of company policy on his lunch break, it was determined to end his temporary assignment." Oswald had worked for Walmart for about seven weeks and said he would not have been considered a permanent employee until after his 180-day probation.

"The last thing I expected was to not have a job," Oswald said
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• HDKorpHDKorp Member Posts: 70 Member
    So, if I understand this correctly...

While working for Walmart, if one sees a visiting corporate manager getting beat with a baseball bat by several attackers, one should not get involved.
    - Colt Cobra .38 Special, Walther P38 9mm, Para USA 1911 GI Expert Stainless .45ACP
    - Ithaca Model 72 Lever Action .22LR, Remington 11-87 Semi-auto 12-Gauge, Remington 870 Express Super Magnum 12-Gauge Pump Shotgun/Slug Combo
  • topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    HDKorp wrote: »

While working for Walmart, if one sees a visiting corporate manager getting beat with a baseball bat by several attackers, one should not get involved.

I believe you are interpreting that correctly, sir.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member

I think it's more like Obama care...........good for everyone but them
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,599 Senior Member
    "We are a nation of LAWS!" (said in a self-righteous voice).

"Yea, not of courtesy and common sense." (says I).
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member

...and if said corporate bigwig starts fighting back against his attacker, he should also have his employment terminated. Right?
    Sounds like sauce for the gander, to me.....
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    Zero Tolerance.....for decency.
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    Just one more reason not to spend my money at wallyworld
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Walmart has reviewed the case and concluded he didn't violate the corporate policy.....they are offering him his job back now.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,420 Senior Member
    With all the publicity their donkeyhole attitude has generated, I'm pretty sure he will get offers from a better employer. Wally World isn't exactly the best place in the world to work. It's about one step up the ladder from slinging burgers at McDonald's.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Walmart has reviewed the case and concluded he didn't violate the corporate policy.....they are offering him his job back now.

:applause::applause::applause: Should have never fired him in the first place.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member

I was just about to call Walmart to tell them a thing or three, I guess enough people called in, I am glad it turned out well.
    It is better to get another job, than have fired appear on a work history.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996