Mythbuster: Zombie Special........ umm.... I don't think so!

jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior MemberPosts: 9,560 Senior Member
Part of the show was to prove an ax is better than the gun to kill Zombies. My problem with the test? You hit a human skull with an ax hard enough to destroy the brain, the ax is gonna be stuck in the skull. It's going to take a couple seconds to get the ax out and redeploy, not bounce like the foam ax Adam used....

I didn't find the 'firearm' portion of the test believable. Any decent shot should be able to hit more than a couple Zombies.... And as has been discussed here many times, a pump shotgun with a pistol grip may look cool but it's not a quick or accurate firearm. The pistol used was not 'single action', it was 'single shot'.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,560 Senior Member
    To be fair, Jamie did make a point on the weakness of pumping the paintball gun
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Let her try it.......
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Watched about half the show, idly, and it was obviously tongue in cheek and you really can't take a "zombie special" episode seriously. MB has done some excellent firearms episodes in the past and they're usually very careful to be accurate.

I've gotten away from being a steady fan of the show in the past year or so, mostly because they take forever! to cover one topic, and yes, I of course know that they're intentionally stretching out the story line.

Lots of folks are zombie fans, I'm not, consider zombie shows as boring as the zombies themselves, so this episode didn't float my boat. But I kinda think that the MB folks meant the whole episode to be fun and taken with a grain of salt. The big foam axe was a pretty obvious giveaway. They did get a smile from me, at least.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    If I were going to use an edged weapon against zombies, it would be a really sharp brush hook. No problems with it sticking in the skull.

BrushHook_zps8736eb0f.jpg
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,104 Senior Member
    Somehow the idea of choosing any sort of melee weapon that gives a minimal extension of one's reach versus a firearm against hordes of the undead seems kinda ........ stupid.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Does it have to be a silver ax?
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    NN wrote: »
    Does it have to be a silver ax?
    Only if you were going after vampires or werewolves, but everybody knows they're not real...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    I prefer the pop-in-the-head with a bullet......but if there's a Zombie-pocalypes, who's left to make more ammo? This is one minor thing I don't see in any zombie movies or series like The Walking Dead.........why aren't they raiding the empty stores for more ammo? Why don't you see them reloading? Sure there's an ammo shortage still......but come on.......raid on a police station!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    They talked about how hard it was to cycle the "weapon" and get back on target, but, try swinging a 6 pound axe at an immobile object for any length of time and that shotgun is going to start looking pretty good. Swinging an axe at a moving target, even if it doesn't get stuck, ( it will), at as rapid a rate as Adam was, you better arms like the Hulk or else you are going to burn out in a hurry.

(And BTW, Zombies ain't real)
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    ...........shhhhhhhhh...........yes, they are real...........they're your Government, even the President is one!..........shhhhhhhhh! They get attracted to noise, so shut up already!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    They talked about how hard it was to cycle the "weapon" and get back on target, but, try swinging a 6 pound axe at an immobile object for any length of time and that shotgun is going to start looking pretty good. Swinging an axe at a moving target, even if it doesn't get stuck, ( it will), at as rapid a rate as Adam was, you better arms like the Hulk or else you are going to burn out in a hurry.

Ok, let's talk about axe-ing someone, and is not for directions in Detroit.........I grew up chopping firewood for the fireplace and later wood stove. I'm no lumberjack, but still got a pretty mean and surgical swing......I'm sure some of you have done that many a time.

Now I've entertained myself one time swinging an axe and a baseball bat at the tree in the back yard. I'll tell you a bat is more accurate/easier to hit the target, and I believe it's because it's more balanced and not so end heavy. However if fearing for my life, I think I'd make the axe work.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    I think a sledge hammer might be better than an axe. Same result, less sticking in stuff. Beside that, crushing bones is gonna take them out of the fight faster than slicing/chopping.

But, I'll take an AR or riot gun every time.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Zombies? Boring! :yesno: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    Zombies? Boring! :yesno: Later,

Much like your posts....... Rimshot.gif
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    Ok, let's talk about axe-ing someone, and is not for directions in Detroit.........I grew up chopping firewood for the fireplace and later wood stove. I'm no lumberjack, but still got a pretty mean and surgical swing......I'm sure some of you have done that many a time.

Now I've entertained myself one time swinging an axe and a baseball bat at the tree in the back yard. I'll tell you a bat is more accurate/easier to hit the target, and I believe it's because it's more balanced and not so end heavy. However if fearing for my life, I think I'd make the axe work.

I'm not saying that you could not make it work. In my experience swinging axes at roofs, walls, cars, firewood, and trees, repetitive swings, in an environment demanding multiple rapid repetitive swings can wear your button out. Now when swinging at trees, firewood, even a burning roof allows for taking a break, Zombies, we're they real, would not I think allow for a "union break". "Hold on mindless undead, I need to take a quick break before I chop your head off." Not a good plan.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    I'm not saying that you could not make it work. In my experience swinging axes at roofs, walls, cars, firewood, and trees, repetitive swings, in an environment demanding multiple rapid repetitive swings can wear your button out. Now when swinging at trees, firewood, even a burning roof allows for taking a break, Zombies, we're they real, would not I think allow for a "union break". "Hold on mindless undead, I need to take a quick break before I chop your head off." Not a good plan.
    That's the other problem with melee weapons: they don't work when your enemy is tireless and unfearing. You take down a few humans with your axe, the rest might back up. Not so with a zombie.

If you read "World War Z" the "Lobotomizer" combinating e-tool/axe was used for AFTER-action mop-up and emergency melee work in groups. For most killing they used rifles. Aimed, accurate, semiautomatic fire rifles. Think about it.
    Overkill is underrated.

I hear you......and I remember that you're wearing a heavy protective outfit that weighs as much as military combat gear.......unless you like the hispanic boys that spend there days at the batting cages hoping to be the next Sammy Sosa. Swinging away repeatedly with anything will wear you out, adrenaline and fear will help out, but you're gonna be an exhausted mess afterwards.

"I'm too old and too damn tired" fits me......shoot first......I forgot the question I was gonna ask later.........:tooth:
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    Somehow the idea of choosing any sort of melee weapon that gives a minimal extension of one's reach versus a firearm against hordes of the undead seems kinda ........ stupid.

Exactly. +1:up:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Seen on a T-shirt - "The hardest part of a zombie apocalypse will be pretending like I'm not excited!"

Weapon selection for me would depend on the ability to carry extra ammo with me. A shotgun is good, with slugs or heavy buckshot for close shots, but the amount of extra ammo you carry on you is limited compared to magazines of .223 or 9mm, or .22 LR if it truly came to that. A good, reliable .22 semi-auto rifle might be preferable for extended zombie survival, especially as the inevitable decay weakens the brain pan. Line up between the eyes (or center of head-mass if you aren't the focus of interest of the particular zombie), pull trigger, repeat until zombie goes down.

Especially if you have others at your side doing the same thing. Preferably from an elevated or barricaded position with ready fall-back locations.

One other factor - easier to silence a .22 rifle using a baby bottle nipple.

Or so I've heard.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I think a flamethrower is the best weapons option against the hordes of the
    quick & dead or undead.
    Besides,
    fighting zombies on foot and at close range is moronic, some type of homemade lightly armored truck is a better idea.
    Fuel bombs, incinerate them wholsale
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    No. No no no no no. You obviously know nothing about zombies.

Only severe head trauma will stop them. If you set them on fire, now you have zombies coming at you to tear you limb from limb, WHILE ON FIRE!

You just made the situation worse.
    As Eli once said... "A flamethrower just turns a zombie into a flaming zombie. And not in the FABulous way..."
    Overkill is underrated.
    Yeah. Now they'll eat you alive AND burn your crap down.
    I think a semi auto .22 would be the ultimate zombie gun.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,730 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    I think a semi auto .22 would be the ultimate zombie gun.

Agreed. a 10/22 with a whole PILE of loaded mags would be the best. hit a few, move... hit a few, move... since all that will work is a brain shot, nothing else matters.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Dunno, massive herds of relatively slow moving fragile rotting corpses, I say flame throwers and barbeque them en mass, of course far away from your crap so you don't get it burned down, and far enough away so you don't get barbequed by the cooking walking staggering undead.

A chain-link fence around ones property seems a great deterrent too.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Dunno, massive herds of relatively slow moving fragile rotting corpses, I say flame throwers and barbeque them en mass, of course far away from your crap so you don't get it burned down, and far enough away so you don't get barbequed by the cooking walking staggering undead.

A chain-link fence around ones property seems a great deterrent too.

Dude. It's like you're not paying attention. Mass zombie hordes can push open barred doors. Chain link wouldn't even stop them.

Myth busters showed how easy it is for large groups of people to knock down barriers.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,730 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    ...fragile rotting corpses, .

That is the mistake, right there. The only thing that drops them is scrambling the grey matter. It means noting if arms and legs are fragile. If the brain is not disrupted, then it is still coming at you.

Even if it's on fire.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Last time I checked a flamethrower has a very, very limited range. That's kind of a discouraging problem, too. By the time they're in range, they can still shamble on and bite and burn.
    Overkill is underrated.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    That is the mistake, right there. The only thing that drops them is scrambling the grey matter. It means noting if arms and legs are fragile. If the brain is not disrupted, then it is still coming at you. Even if it's on fire.

That's why I think a .22 might not be enough. If a living brain can survive..........

spear_20120619043038_320_240.JPG6-19-spear-2.jpg