I was excited! Now I'm sad...

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 15,270 Senior Member
The American Rifleman showed up this morning, and for the first time in years, I really got wound up about the cover photo...The Winchester 1873 is back...and it's marked "Winchester Repeating Arms Company". One of my favorite rifles. Then I read on and my hopes plummeted. While it's available in a "Short Rifle" and a "Sporter" configuration, both models hae a 20" ROUND barrel, which pretty much kills it for me. Then I discover it's chambered in .357 Mag, HUH? Who thought that up? You would have thought .44-40 (even .44 Special would have been OK) but .357? I can't get my head around that. In their effort to bring back "The Rifle That Won The West" they managed to come up with something that vaguely resembles it, but it AIN'T an 1873. Oh yeah, and the MSRP is $1300.00 for the Short Rifle and near $1600 for the "Sporter"...If I'm spending that kind of money, I'll buy a Uberti...at least it's a closer re-production of the original...
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    Regarding the .357mag, it's probably due to wide commercial "availability" of the ammo. Personally, I love that I can pair it with my wheel guns.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    As an aside.....

Scott wrote:
    I was excited! Now I'm sad...

I'm not sure I've ever heard a phrase that's more deserving of a "That's what she said."

:rotflmao:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,765 Senior Member
    I want a long barreled (octagonal) one in .375 Winchester, even if it isn't period correct.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,270 Senior Member
    There's a Model 94 Big Bore on GunBroker right now for $1394.00 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=370477186 You got about 2 hours to make it yours.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,765 Senior Member
    Oooh! That is a beauty! If it was a longer barrel, I would be sweating.
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    If the Uberti lever guns are anywhere near as nice as the single action revolvers...it would be an easy choice for me too.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns: