Old spencer & rem. Rolling block

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,602 Senior Member
Tell me about these old rifles. I have an 1865 Spencer SN on reciever and barrel is 13616, bbl. is 18.5" , bore approx. .520 with 6 lands, chamber is approx 1.400", bore is very good, slight pitting in the chamber and throat, some pitting on bbl. and reciever and large " cuts " about 6" long on the side of the bbl., wood is fair. Is this a 56-56 ?

The other is Rem Rolling Block, no SN, cal. 7 mm, im assuming its 7x57, light rust on the bbl., bore is very good, wood is fair.

Im not interested in selling them but would like to shoot them, After i get them cleaned up i'll do a chamber cast so i know what im dealing with.

Any info on the Spencer would be greatly appreciated,

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,136 Senior Member
    I think you got the caliber right for the Spencer, and it's a rim fire if I remember. There was also a 56-46, 56-50 and 56-56. Used by US cavalry in Civil War. Only rifle personally approved by Lincoln. Buffalo Arms has brass but for center fire conversions.
    The #1 is probably a 1901 model in 7X57. There were many of the made for various South American countries. Should be safe with low pressure rounds.
    Here's a good site with more info. http://rollingblockparts.com/

The Rolling Block was produced from 1863 until the 1930's. It had one of the biggest production numbers in history.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,602 Senior Member
    Big Al1 , thanks for the info.

JAY
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,612 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Tell me about these old rifles. I have an 1865 Spencer..........The other is Rem Rolling Block

I see no picture of them so..... your pants must be on fire! :angry:
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,602 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    I see no picture of them so..... your pants must be on fire! :angry:

Since I've never been able to post pics, i figgure i owe the forum $1365.00 checks in the mail.

JAY
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,612 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Since I've never been able to post pics, i figgure i owe the forum $1365.00 checks in the mail.

JAY

waiting+by+mail.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson