Hand primers.

RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior MemberPosts: 4,646 Senior Member
I've always preferred them but I can't remember which brand I used. I'm looking at Lee and RCBS. The Lee has a bunch of negative reviews. RCBS had some but not nearly as bad. Plus I could use the shell holders I already have. So I'm leaning that way. What say you?
Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    I used to use a Sinclair. Now, I just use the one on my Forster Press.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,081 Senior Member
    I have both, both are older models so take it with a grain of salt. RCBS is more comfortable, and the gate will keep one primer from setting the rest off. However, the gate piece of metal is thin and easily bent. Lee is inexpensive, but uncomfortable after a while (the gap in the frame is right where the pads of your finger go), and has less leverage than the RCBS. I'd go green.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    I have the RCBS and have had no trouble with it. I had the universal RCBS hand primer before that did not use shellholders. The cases where held in place by spring loaded "jaws." The first problem with it was, it would not reliably prime 45 Colt and 454 Casull brass. It spit them out with the primer half seated. Those cases in particular have narrow rims on the case head that didn't give the "jaws" much to grab and hold on to. Second, after priming only a few hundred cases, one of the pins that holds one end of the spring in broke, which allowed the spring to fly out and it could not be reattached. Without the spring to apply pressure to the "jaws," that tool was useless. I sent it back and traded it for a standard RCBS hand primer that uses shell holders. It works great, but be aware that it will not use just any ol' shell holder. It has to be an RCBS shell holder or one that is designed similar. The bevel on the bottom of the shell holder has to be deeper and wider in order to fit on the plastic two piece primer feed insert that the primer tray attaches to. If the shell holder is not machined to match, the primer feed will not go into the priming tool.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,343 Senior Member
    My only gripe about the Lee is the fact that the handle is too short to have good leverage. I like the easy switch of shellholders with the Lee system. My RCBS has to be totally disassembled to swap shellholders- - - -the Lee doesn't, but it needs dedicated holders- - - -the ones for the press won't fit. I use both; one stays set up for large primers, the other for small.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    My only gripe about the Lee is the fact that the handle is too short to have good leverage. I like the easy switch of shellholders with the Lee system. My RCBS has to be totally disassembled to swap shellholders- - - -the Lee doesn't, but it needs dedicated holders- - - -the ones for the press won't fit. I use both; one stays set up for large primers, the other for small.
    Jerry

Hmmmm, one for each. Capitol idea old Sod. Jay, I use a Rockchucker so the only shell holders I have are RCBS
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Thank you gentlemen, the RCBS is on it's way. I would have used Midway but they had no .30 '06 brass. Natchez did so those two things and some other nick nacks are coming from them.
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    I've owned the RCBS and the Lee. I love the Lee. I can't imagine loading without one unless I went progressive.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    I use the RCBS.........my shell holders just slide in and out and stay in place.......however, sometimes the shoulder gets a snag-up, and the rammer can slide out if inverted. I don't mind priming with the Redding press, but I usually do my priming in medium batches while watching TV......I don't keep a television in the reloading room.

Maybe I should try the Sinclair........they must be top of the line stuff if Zee is using one, which means he probably learned it from Ernie.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Maybe I should try the Sinclair........they must be top of the line stuff if Zee is using one, which means he probably learned it from Ernie.

Actually, the guy who taught me to load gave it to me. It's an early model Sinclair. But, as I mentioned, I've taken to using the primer seater in my Forster Press. I like the universal jaws and it just seems to work better for me.
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    I have both the older model rcbs that uses the shell holders, and the newer universal model. Both work well, but the universal model won't handle the larger brass such as the 44-77 and 50 sharps. Those cases are where the old model rcbs shine.
    The new "improved" (not) lee hand priming tool is a nightmare to use with it's two stage lift from the primer tray to the case. It will spit primers on the floor for you, and you can't hardly set it down without spilling the primers that are already out of the tray.
    They should of just reengineered the thumb lever on the original version and left it go .
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,110 Senior Member
    My shell holders just slide in and out and stay in place.......however, sometimes the shoulder gets a snag-up, and the rammer can slide out if inverted.
    That's what she said.
    Zee wrote: »
    Actually, the guy who taught me to load gave it to me.
    That's what he said.
    2lljed0.png
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Actually, when it comes to hand priming, it's all about how you finger it out........
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,965 Senior Member
    I prefer the Lee Hand Primer to the RCBS....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,023 Senior Member
    Durwood wrote: »
    I've owned the RCBS and the Lee. I love the Lee. I can't imagine loading without one unless I went progressive.

I've had my old Lee hand primer for 20 years. I love it too. I tried a friends RCBS and thought it sucked.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,738 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I prefer the OLD Lee Hand Primer to the RCBS....
    FIFY JayH :beer:

From everything I've read & heard, the "New and improved" LEE priming tool SUX :cuss:

edited to add: "New and improved" as in the newest model with the square priming tray
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.