New rifle update!

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
The looooooooooooooooooooooooong wait is nearly over my friends. Got an email from F&D Defense saying the rifle I have been waiting on for 14 months is nearly ready. They have all the parts finally and are in the process of assembly and test firing. Rifles will begin shipping within the next two weeks, of course I just have to drive over and pick mine up. Looks like I my be hunting with her this year after all! I'm getting all excited about the new toy. Man I hope the scope I bought for it 9 months ago still works! :tooth:

FD338BMGLeft1280.png
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,778 Senior Member
    Sucker better shoot like a house afire after all this trouble.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,444 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

Definitely! Would SUCK if it had to go back for any reason.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member

With Bartlein barrels and the proprietary gas system I think it should. There were a lot of reasons for the long wait most of which were out of their control and being a new start up company is really understandable. What has kept me patient was thinking about the prototype rifle I held in my hands. This was the first AR-10 style rifle I ever held that had the compact feel of an AR-15. There is also a lot of effort in design for accuracy and reliability with suppressor use.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    Michakav wrote: »
    Definitely! Would SUCK if it had to go back for any reason.

They are local so if it should have an issue it's not like it has to a long way. Their future production time should steadily improve. This was their first big production run with a total of 258 rifles.
    cpj wrote: »
    If it went back, it would be in exchange for the money I spent!
    Hope it works for you Tim. I'm curious as to the results.

I'll be posting a range report when I get her set up. I have been prepping brass getting ready to work up some test loads for it using lake city brass. I'm sure she will be just fine.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,100 Senior Member
    I hope it is everything you hoped for.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I hope it is everything you hoped for.

Me too, thanks, I have way too much invested for it not to be!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Me too, thanks, I have way too much invested for it not to be!

So being nosy , about how much would a model like the one you ordered run.....ballpark figure?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    About $3400-3500 for .308 or .260. The rifles in .338 Lapua I think run about $5500 and the .458 rifles run $6800.
    They are not cheap!
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    Looking forward to the range report!
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    Waiting! :popcorn: Oh and cool looking gun. :cool2:
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
    Durwood wrote: »
    Looking forward to the range report!
    bhl2506 wrote: »
    Waiting! :popcorn: Oh and cool looking gun. :cool2:

Hopefully a range report wi be out in about 3 weeks!
    The optic I chose for this rifle it the Leupold Mark IV 8.5-25x50mm with a Model 1 sales one piece mount.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,017 Senior Member
    Looking forward to hearing how it does for you :popcorn:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Well I made my decision on the bullets I am going to try for hunting. I ordered 400 Hornady 178 grain A-Max bullets. The Bartlein barrels are 1:10 twist so I should be able to shoot them.
    I'm thinking of H-335 or Varget for powder. Both powders give about the same velocities out of the 18" barrel.
    Not looking to go subsonic but it looks like about 2450 fps may be the best I can do in this bullet weight. If it doesn't pan out I'll just drop back to the 165 grain SST's and work something up there and save the 178 grain bullets for 30.06 or my 91/30 sniper which has a tight enough bore to shoot .308.

Over the next couple of days I'll start getting serious and get all the brass prepped for the new rifle, then put some test loads together this weekend.
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    That rifle is sweet looking. Glad the long wait is almost over.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Wow Midway ain't playin around. Just placed my bullet order about 3:00 this afternoon and just got a shipment confirmation email. Definitely a sign things are getting better.
    Well I made my decision on the bullets I am going to try for hunting. I ordered 400 Hornady 178 grain A-Max bullets.

Good choice.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,100 Senior Member
    Sebastian and I are using Varget with our fast twist 308's. 200 grain Berger Hybrid.
    I also use Varget with my Rem. 40X 308 Win as well, using 168 A-Max's.
    Looking forward to seeing your results on game with the 178 A-Max.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Yeah, for target bullets.

Yep.

Deer Targets
    Hog Targets
    Coyote Targets
    CPJ Targets

You know? Targets!
    As long as they are made from paper or cardboard. They won't work on live critters.

Hold still.

:-)
    Hold still.

:-)

Naw, no need to hold still but running does make them die tired!
    Sebastian and I are using Varget with our fast twist 308's. 200 grain Berger Hybrid.
    I also use Varget with my Rem. 40X 308 Win as well, using 168 A-Max's.
    Looking forward to seeing your results on game with the 178 A-Max.

That's good to hear, I'm hoping for some decent results.
    Almost finished prepping and priming the brass. The bullets will be in tomorrow so I guess this weekend I'll be figuring out what the load range will be on the test loads. Once again all will be ready and stiiiiiiLL waiting on the rifle.
    Ahhhh... 178 grain A-Max bullets came in today. Test loads are ready now back to waiting on the rifle.

Load range using Varget and starting at 42.0 gains then going .2 grain increments up to 43.8. Hopefully I can find something that it likes, there's a little more room on the top end before max load but I'd rather not run on the edge.

ABDB7A8D-EBBA-490B-99A7-37B0C79B369C-2987-000005B50CB23630_zps99621fc7.jpg
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,017 Senior Member
    :love:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    'Em er purty. You do know though that the A-Max is totally unsuitable for hunting"imoit::fan::rotflmao:
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    'Em er purty. You do know though that the A-Max is totally unsuitable for hunting"imoit::fan::rotflmao:

A head shot on a pig, even FMJ bullets work! Which is all I ever shoot on pigs, to me they are just moving targets and since it is a pig I don't really care if I miss. I'm really looking to see what kind of accuracy I can get out of it. F&D was reporting some really good numbers with 175's so we will see.
    I do have plenty of 165 grain SST's for hunting rounds if I don't like the A-max performance.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,426 Senior Member
    You suck. If I didn't already have a heavy barreled .308 bolt gun I would be looking seriously at an AR-10 style acquisition.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    You suck. If I didn't already have a heavy barreled .308 bolt gun I would be looking seriously at an AR-10 style acquisition.

Heck don't let that stop you, I have 4 bolt rifles in .308 and already have an AR-10 style rifle. I'm still looking forward to getting this new one.
    Ahhhh... 178 grain A-Max bullets came in today. Test loads are ready now back to waiting on the rifle.

Load range using Varget and starting at 42.0 gains then going .2 grain increments up to 43.8. Hopefully I can find something that it likes, there's a little more room on the top end before max load but I'd rather not run on the edge.

Them are sexy.