Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

10 Gun control questions????

terminator012terminator012 Senior MemberPosts: 3,929 Senior Member
My daughter has to do a research paper on gun control for a college English course in High School. She needs 10 good questions to answer in her paper. She wants questions with answers on why there should be no new gun control laws. Looking mainly for questions so she can look up and find the answers. Figured there wouldn't be a better place than here to help her out.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,862 Senior Member
    What has the increase in CCW permits and the resulting gun carrying had on crime rates ?
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,062 Senior Member
    Why do the cities with the most restrictive guns laws, have the highest crime rate??
    Does banning guns prevent crime and gun violence in large metropolitan areas such as Chicago and New York City?
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,086 Senior Member
    Do the murder rates change when either more men or women conceal carry?

Do the murder rates for children change when either more men or more women conceal carry?

How has the negligent/accidental firearms related injuries changed over the last 50 years? How does that compare with firearms sales and ownership?

Do waiting periods and background checks produce any crime deterrence?

How many rejections during a background check are investigated? How many are prosecuted?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    Why are liberals such whining, sniveling douchebags?:jester:

More seriously:

What are the most consistent components seen in genocides and political purges carried out by one group against another within the same country? It's VERY hard to marginalize, exploit, and murder millions of your own citizens if you don't take their guns away first.

How old is your daughter? Turn her loose with John Ross' Unintended Consequences if she's up for adult topics. She'll EASILY get 10 questions out of that.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    Good ones so far. I had told her to look up the crime rate in Chicago.
    Is this topic assigned by the instructor and if not is he/she fair minded?
    Bigslug wrote: »

How old is your daughter? Turn her loose with John Ross' Unintended Consequences if she's up for adult topics. She'll EASILY get 10 questions out of that.

She's 17. I looked for that book at several bookstores a couple weekends ago. None of them had one. I may order one off Amazon.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,086 Senior Member
    John Lott's book, "More Guns, Less Crime" is her reference. It is a pretty dry read, but it is well referenced, she can back up her questions with good stats.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    NN wrote: »
    Is this topic assigned by the instructor and if not is he/she fair minded?

It was on a list to choose from. I told her this could get real controversial. Since my daughter is against more gun control, if the teacher is for it she could fail.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,266 Senior Member
    How much did the gun crime rates rise in Great Britain and Australia after their gun bans?? Why would bans work here when they failed there??
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Just look at the second amendment to the US Constitution.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Since my daughter is against more gun control, if the teacher is for it she could fail.
    Bull poop. Lots of them are liberal douches, but if she puts up a well developed argument and backs it up, she will do just fine. Just be sure that when she talks the talk, she REALLY talks the talk. They are academics first, and liberal douche-bags second. If she can justify a solid point of view (no matter how far left or right) she will be alright and maybe even respected (even liberal douche tenured professors don't like butt kissers). I am giving this advice from my own experience.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Shouldn't we try enforce existing laws before we pass new ones?
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Those FBI crime/ Safety Council statistic cards showing how many folks die from auto accidents/drowning/children playing with guns/homicide rates can have a sobering effect when you compare the numbers.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    She's 17. I looked for that book at several bookstores a couple weekends ago. None of them had one. I may order one off Amazon.

Hear ya go: The entire novel on PDF.

http://www.zjstech.net/~ddixson/Unintended_Consequences.pdf

One more link you can share with your daughter:

http://jpfo.org/filegen-a-m/deathgc.htm#chart
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...maybe she can find some ideas here...

http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,529 Senior Member
    Why do we not treat the other amendments like we do the second?
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • agewonagewon Senior Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Have her do some research on the list below. Current gun ownership number comparison -vs- that particular countries gun control legislation.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    "Why do people who are unwilling to take any responsibility for their own safety dial 911 and hope someone with a gun will come to rescue them when they get into trouble?"
    Jerry
    Thanks folks. She is looking at the links given here. Her teacher did tell her she can not use the NRA as a reference since they are biased.:roll:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    She should ask the teacher if information from the Brady Bunch is also a biased reference source. The answer might give some valuable insight into the teacher's prejudices.
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    She should ask the teacher if information from the Brady Bunch is also a biased reference source. The answer might give some valuable insight into the teacher's prejudices.
    Jerry

Good idea Mr. Jerry. I think it would be a good idea to ask her that if daughter can word it right.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,797 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Why are liberals such whining, sniveling douchebags?:jester:

I like this one the best.....:devil:
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Here is a rough draft she is turning in tomorrow. She would like to know What more she might need to add.

They were in paragraphs when we copied and pasted it. Don't know why they didn't show that way.

“In 2010 , there were over 11,000 firearm related homicides in the United States. This number may be shocking to some, but that number was less than one-one-thousandth of a percent of the United States' total population in that year (.0036 percent to be exact). In the same year there were also 230 justifiable homicides in the United States, which involved a private citizen using a firearm to defend himself.” (17) If you combine that with the fact that some of the gun-related homicides that year were break and entries, where the homeowners could have possibly defended themselves better, if they had owned a gun for self defense. As with every argument, there are two sides. This one involving gun control laws and statutes in the United States. Those in favor of increasing gun control laws have many valid points and recent occurrences that back up their point of view. Those like me, on the other hand, who oppose the stricter gun control laws, also have their reasons and ideas to support our hesitancy.
    I believe that if you take the guns out of the hands of the “good” people, the “bad” people will still get the guns in some way. The Bureau of Justice Statistics states that, “In 2004, among state prison inmates who possessed a gun at the time of offense, less than two percent bought a firearm at a flea market or gun show and forty percent obtained their firearm from an illegal source. Also, in 2007-11 less than one percent of victims in all nonfatal violent crimes reported using a firearm to defend themselves during the incident.” (17) This goes to show you that many of the guns that are used by people to kill other people are obtained illegally. The least the legislation could do is give the “good” people a chance to defend themselves.
    You may ask, “How can you tell the good people from the bad people?” Simple. The good gun owners would be those that have never been convicted of a crime and acquire the guns in a legal way. “Over 50% of all households in the U.S. admit to having firearms.” (2) Every single person in the United States of America has to go through a background check to purchase a gun from a licensed dealer. Therefore, you cannot buy a gun if you have any previous major crimes on your record. The number of right-to-carry permit holders is increasing rapidly. In the state of Tennessee, Right-to-carry means that you have a permit to carry a handgun on your body, concealed or not. To obtain a permit you must pass a background check, take a handgun safety course, pass a written test about the course and pass a shooting course. Furthermore, “There are approximately 190,000 right-to-carry permit holders in Tennessee. According to FBI statistics, since right-to-carry legislation swept across America, crime rates have decreased.” (11) “In 2010, nearly 37,000 denials were appealed. More than 12,000 appeals resulted in reversal of the denial.” (16) This tells me that there was something in that citizen's file that sent flags up. What had they done that made them ineligible in the first place? More so, why would you reverse the decision?
    Granted, the other side may think that stricter gun laws will reduce violence, homicides, suicides and maybe stop it all together, but I think they may have other things in mind. There are many famous dictators like Germany's Adolf Hitler, the Soviet Union's Joseph Stalin, and China's chairmen Mao that all took the citizens guns before destroying them. “It is the old saying about absolute power corrupting absolutely.” (12) Guns within the public help create equilibrium. The second amendment states “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” (20) Regulated does not mean restricted. This means that our forefathers believed that the citizens of the U.S. should have the right to bear arms. It is an obvious violation of our rights if the government attempts to take our guns away. If the people that founded this country believe we should have guns, then we should. They knew what they doing when they put it in the constitution and it has kept our country in order for years. They should not change it now.
    With so many mass shootings lately, the question of copycats has been brought onto the table. “It is not only exposure to the massive media coverage that encourages copycats. More important, it is the notoriety we give to killers that our teenagers, especially alienated and marginalized teens, a lesson about how to get attention, how to be in the spotlight.” (15) If we show the public the executions of these mass murders, maybe it would put some fear into the ones that think there is glory in the killings. If we would punish the murders more often, maybe other teens and adults would be afraid to commit the homicide.
    Our founding fathers put the right to bear Arms in the Bill of Rights for a reason. They should not change what has kept our nation under control for over two centuries. Before you decide which side you are for and against, ponder on these questions. If guns kill people, do pens write books? Do cars drive drunk? People should be held accountable for the actions they make, not the resources they use to do so.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    I like it!!!!! Especially the last two sentences!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    A very smart young lady indeed!
  • agewonagewon Senior Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Very well done. The statistical facts were highlighted well, and the writers opinion was clear and concise.
    I'd actually like your permission to repost this. I won't mention sources, but I would like to mention the writers age.
  • zeke4351zeke4351 Member Posts: 31 Member
    How many places have nut jobs shown up to do mass shootings where they knew before hand that people would be armed?
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    There's a lot of good stuff in that article. Very well spoken and laid out.
    There are a lot of nit-picky grammatical things that should probably be fixed before she turns in the final draft, but the "meat" of the paper is excellent.