Crossbows are EASY!I bought 1 today, already scored with it

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,849 Senior Member
Shot it 3 times in the back yard to get the scope dialed in and make sure the broadheads flew to the same POI as the field points.

Decided "WTH, I'll go hunting this evening.

About 45 minutes before sunset, she walks in from the left side. I took this pic with my camera, she was ~ 80 yards away
DSC_2616_zpsde7ef349.jpg

She ducked behind the barn and popped out on the other side. A doe and fawn came out on the left, closer.

I watched all three for a while, nearly spooked them laughing as the two on the left would spook the one on the right, then she'd calm down and go back to feeding and eventually spook the other 2. :roll2:

The adult doe on the left finally got within 30 yards and I shot (and MISSED :cuss: ) Those two hightailed it back into the wood. Idiot doe on the right side just stood there 60 yards away. I re-cocked and reloaded the bow, she kept standing there, so I put the 30 yard stadia line across her back and launched a Muzzy MX-4 broadhead her way. I heard and saw a good hit, and she took off down the backside of the field.

Here's where she was standing. Ignore the 2 does in the pic, this is one of my game cam pix from that field
IMG_00041_zps3a63c1ca.jpg

I lased the shooting house from her, "OH CRAP" hoof prints and it was exactly 60 yards.

She made it ~100-150 yards and left an easy blood trail.

DSC_2618_zpsa70b85db.jpg
Owned a Crossbow for less than 12 hours, already shot at 2 deer with it and killed one of them (with my 5th ever shot with it)
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,928 Senior Member
    Good deal, it is nice to be eating fresh venison DURING deer season, I suggest fondue.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,025 Senior Member
    Good shooting! What brand of crossbow did you buy? That big doe should be some fine venison.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,046 Senior Member
    That was quick!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,849 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Good deal, it is nice to be eating fresh venison DURING deer season, I suggest fondue.
    Thank You :beer:
    Good shooting! What brand of crossbow did you buy? That big doe should be some fine venison.
    TenPoint Wicked Ridge Invader HP
    http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=TenPoint-Wicked-Ridge-Invader-HP-Crossbow-Package&i=611245
    The built in cocking mechanism was a HUGE selling point for me. Being attached to the stock, no chance of losing it, or not being able to find it when I need it.
    Used these bolts
    http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Pro-Elite-20-SuperBrite-Carbon-Crossbow-Bolts-6-Pack&i=401022
    And Muzzy MX-4 100gr broadheads
    http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Muzzy-MX4-Four-Blade-Broadhead-100-Grain-3-Pack&i=419558
    That was quick!
    Hence my title :tooth: and thank you :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,058 Senior Member
    You definitely did not suffer enough :tooth: Congratulations!! :up::up:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,617 Senior Member
    Outstanding!!! That's an excellent shot with a crossbow. Where did you hit her that she ran so far?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    You definitely did not suffer enough :tooth: Congratulations!! :up::up:
    AWWWWW, the last 11 months of 2 shoulder surgeries & 9 months of PT (pain & torture) was quite enough TYVM :p
    and thank you :wink: :beer:
    Zee wrote: »
    Outstanding!!! That's an excellent shot with a crossbow. Where did you hit her that she ran so far?
    At that range, she had plenty of time to "jump the string" :(
    She was perfectly broadside when the bolt left and was at nearly 45° by the time it made the trip. Entry was roughly midway up around the 4th rib from the back (base of left lung/just in front of the liver) and the exit was just in front of her "right" hip.

Even with the "gut" exit, had one heck of a blood trail :up: that 1.125" 4 blade caused massive "leakage"

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,617 Senior Member
    Oh yeah, they can definately duck and move on archery equipment. Glad you still got her.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    ShootBrownElk, even at the extreme range and angle, it was a complete pass through and the bolt was sunk to about half it's 20" length in the dirt.
    I have NO COMPLAINTS whatsoever with the penetration it gave me

Zee wrote: »
    Oh yeah, they can definately duck and move on archery equipment. Glad you still got her.
    Me too and thank you :beer:

To be brutally honest, I probably shouldn't have taken that shot

edited to add: I was shocked when she stuck around after I missed the first doe :yikes:

cpj wrote: »
    She was mocking you. Taunting you. She lost.

Good shootin.

One thing that boggles my mind is, crossbows have 175 pound plus "draw" weights, yet shoot slower than a standard bow pulling 70ish pounds. I don't get it.
    You may be right about her taunting me and the outcome :up:

Thank you :beer:

Some of it has to do with the length of the "power stroke" (used to be called "brace height"), while my 70# compound launches arrows @ ~280 fps, it has a LONG time to accelerate the arrow (~ 20 inches or so) I'm not sure if my new Crossbow is 150 or 175# draw, but it has nearly HALF the distance to accelerate the bolt.
    Think of it as comparing a 2" revolver to a 4" in terms of velocity with the same bullet. Will take a "hotter" load to get the bullet moving faster from the 2"
    The heavier draw weights are the "hotter load"

edited to add: just checked the specs on the link I posted for SBE, 180# draw weight, and rated at 315 FPS

edited again, they say it has a 12.5" "power stroke" in the specs as well

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Good score Paul, maybe we should call you William Tellitaintso.

Hey, Buffy is looking for someone to help him storm a castle........you could be his Knitepoet.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    Good score Paul, maybe we should call you William Tellitaintso.

Hey, Buffy is looking for someone to help him storm a castle........you could be his Knitepoet.
    Thanks my friend...... and not just "NO" but HELL NO!! on being buffco's knitepoet :nono:

Oh, and after I got her loaded onto my hauler, I went and downloaded the memory from my game cam on the other field.
    I'm not sure if that's Big FOOT, or Big GUT I caught the picture of... I'm thinking it's a "gut" though
    IMG_0001_zpscd24c7ec.jpg

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,220 Senior Member
    That is scary!
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    It's an albino big foot!
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Great hunt
    I've seen that guy in the last pic, he is big, but, he don't have big enough feet to be called big foot.

By the way, I have flown with big foot.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Mitch Hedburg was right. Bigfoot actually IS an out of focus monster.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Mitch Hedburg was right. Bigfoot actually IS an out of focus monster.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

That was funny. Mitch Hedburg was awesome.
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    Congrats:beer: I'm gonna have to take a look at Ten Point now that they bought out Horton and aren't going to supply parts, warranty etc.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns: