2 vs 6 groove barrels

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,505 Senior Member
Is there any advantage to using a 2 or 3 groove bbl. over a 6 groove, are they more accurate, or develope less pressure.

What about " gain " twist, in the 50s some of the wildcatters were making bbls. that started with a 1 : 16 and finished with a 1 : 6 twist, as i understood it was for long and heavy for caliber ( 300 gr. for .30 cal & 160 -200gr. for 6.5mm) to reduce starting pressure.

Any thoughts ?

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    I have really enjoyed my Lilja 3-Groove barrels.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,957 Senior Member
    Gain twist rifling has been around for a really long time. It was used in black powder target cartridge rifles using lead bullets in lots of matches in the 1800s and early 1900s. Advantages were that, as black powder burned the whole length of the barrel keeping pressure relatively stable, the bullet started off at a low spin rate and accelerated faster, and gained it's final spin rate toward end of barrel travel. This had the effect of less leading as the bullet wasn't forced to spin as fast starting out putting less twisting force on the lead bullet. It was also used on muzzleloading barrels that were intended to shoot patched round ball and patched conical bullets.

Bartlein can provide any progressive twist rate in any normal caliber you choose.

No real idea why 2-groove rifling was used other than it was less time consuming to cut in a barrel(pre gang broaching, hammer forging, and carbide button rifling).
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.