Scored 2# of CFE-223 today

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,724 Senior Member
CPJ, eat your heart out :p

They had four 1# cans and 2 8 pound jugs. Going to give it a go with some 50gr (or are they 55 :uhm: ) Z-max and 75gr MHP in 223, with 155 Bergers in my 30-30 (It's a single shot, so I can use the VLD bullets) and will probably get around to trying it in my 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel eventually.

Unfortunately, my chronograph has gone to the happy hunting ground after I dropped and broke it :tissue: , So I'll just be testing the accuracy, and estimating speed by 300 yard drops
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Good on ya. I don't know what the future of firearms development has in store for us but there is no denying that this is the age of powder and to a lessor degree bullet development by leaps and bounds.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,724 Senior Member
    Be interesting to see how it performs :D
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »

As Picard was known to say, "Make it so." Seriously I've read nothing but good things about that CFE stuff
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    I scored an 8# jug of it (cfe-223) last week at Recobs Target Shop. It pays to check out their site once a week to see what's in stock.
    If a listing has a "buy" button, it's in stock. Thought I'd pass that along if some have not been there.

http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/2,65.html
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,606 Senior Member

Yep, that's one I haven't tried so looking forward to your results!
    :popcorn:
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    shooter wrote: »
    I scored an 8# jug of it (cfe-223) last week at Recobs Target Shop.
    I thought about picking up the "keg", but decided since they had both, I'd buy a pair of the one pounders to try it before I bought 8 pounds of something that turned out not to work well in my rifles (and a couple of "pistols" )

I scored an 8# jug of it (cfe-223) last week at Recobs Target Shop. It pays to check out their site once a week to see what's in stock.
    If a listing has a "buy" button, it's in stock. Thought I'd pass that along if some have not been there.

I don't know how much you guys are paying but an 8 lb jug of just about anything will run you~169.00~ around here. A pound runs from 29 to 30 or so.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,507 Senior Member
    Good deal. I hope you have as good luck with it as I have.
    If I can ever find some jugs, I'm going to switch over my AR plinking ammo,and my 22-250, also try it in the 204 and 243.
    Right now I'm coveting what I have for my 223.
    I don't know how much you guys are paying but an 8 lb jug of just about anything will run you~169.00~ around here. A pound runs from 29 to 30 or so.
    $27/$175

Recob's has it in stock today. 8# for $150.89 @ 7:40 a.m. CST for CFE-223

Yesterday they were out of it.
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
    I thought about picking up the "keg", but decided since they had both, I'd buy a pair of the one pounders to try it before I bought 8 pounds of something that turned out not to work well in my rifles (and a couple of "pistols" )

I think you'll find that it is a great powder for your Grendel. My 204 Ruger and pair of 6.5 Grendels do very well with CFE-223.
    Haven't tried it in any of my 223's yet, but it's a top powder in the Grendel & 204 Ruger.
    I think you'll find that it is a great powder for your Grendel. My 204 Ruger and pair of 6.5 Grendels do very well with CFE-223.
    Haven't tried it in any of my 223's yet, but it's a top powder in the Grendel & 204 Ruger.
    SWEET :beer:

I know it will give me much better velocities, I just hope it can compete with my nice, slow 2375fps 123 A-max load in the accuracy dept (26.0 H4895, Wolf SR primer, AA case, 24" Shilen bbl with a sub .25" 5 shot group to its credit, plus the 100yd card splitting)