Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Media bias? What media bias?? Oh, this media bias........

jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior MemberPosts: 10,270 Senior Member
I don't know why I would bother reading an article written by a CNN reporter, but I did. Saw it on Yahoo, so I didn't realize who wrote it until I looked......

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-4-obamacare-complaints-145344173.html

Now he gave a glimpse of the truth.......
For others, however, Obamacare is a godsend. Many, particularly those with pre-existing conditions, weren't eligible or couldn't afford coverage before. Now, they can get insurance since health reform bans insurers from discriminating against those who had been sick.

So, people don't pay into insurance and contribute to the cost paid out by the insurers. Then they get sick, ''Darn, I need insurance!'' Now the insurers are forced to pay big bucks on a sure loser. Now who really pays? The remaining policy holders.... I thought this was the reason insurance went up (that and making kids eligible until they are 26).

Well, I guess I was wrong. The improving economy (Gee, work has asked for voluntary lay-offs until the end of the year. Economy is just smoking along) is making more people go to the doctor..........
It's true that health reform is contributing to higher premiums and plan changes. But Obamacare, which is imposing new fees on companies and insurers starting in 2014, is not the driving factor, experts say. Health care costs are rising because the economy is improving so people are going to the doctor more.

I wonder if he could keep a straight face while he wrote that.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    I am self employed and have to buy my insurance through the marketplace. I have pre-existing conditions, can get, and afford insurance, so the first statement that you highlighted is a flat out lie. Next year, I will have to shell out an extra $300 a month (more than my house payment) to get comparable coverage. Not only that, but I don't get to write off the cost of the insurance like bigger businesses do. It gives me a disadvantage while trying to compete with larger companies. I have been trying to pay off stuff so my monthly bills aren't high and I can ride out downturns in business better. Now I get saddled with an extra $300 a month for this crap!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,270 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Now I get saddled with an extra $300 a month for this crap!

but........... it's the improving economy driving up the prices. Not the ACA subsidies!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I am self employed and have to buy my insurance through the marketplace. I have pre-existing conditions, can get, and afford insurance, so the first statement that you highlighted is a flat out lie. Next year, I will have to shell out an extra $300 a month (more than my house payment) to get comparable coverage. Not only that, but I don't get to write off the cost of the insurance like bigger businesses do. It gives me a disadvantage while trying to compete with larger companies. I have been trying to pay off stuff so my monthly bills aren't high and I can ride out downturns in business better. Now I get saddled with an extra $300 a month for this crap!

It's about time somebody made you rich Republicans pay!:fiddle:
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I am self employed and have to buy my insurance through the marketplace. I have pre-existing conditions, can get, and afford insurance, so the first statement that you highlighted is a flat out lie. Next year, I will have to shell out an extra $300 a month (more than my house payment) to get comparable coverage.

Jerm, it's obvious to all of us here, as would be to any loyal CNN or MSNBC fan, that you're simply complaining about the ACA because you hate Obama and have refused to love him unquestioningly and deeply. We're saddened by this. You should be HAPPY to pay more money for the privilege of being alive during his reign.

And by the way, you aren't really going to have to pay more next year. Obama said you'd pay less. So you need to phone your insurance company and inform them that because of what the Prez said, your check to them will be less. I'm sure they'll understand.

(the previous paragraphs brought to you via Pelosilogic, a new brain treatment available now)
    samzhere wrote: »

(the previous paragraphs brought to you via Pelosilogic, a new brain treatment available now)

Available in suppository form only. You must take it in the........
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Jerm, it's obvious to all of us here, as would be to any loyal CNN or MSNBC fan, that you're simply complaining about the ACA because you hate Obama and have refused to love him unquestioningly and deeply. We're saddened by this. You should be HAPPY to pay more money for the privilege of being alive during his reign.

And by the way, you aren't really going to have to pay more next year. Obama said you'd pay less. So you need to phone your insurance company and inform them that because of what the Prez said, your check to them will be less. I'm sure they'll understand.

Sam, you forgot to mention that Jermanator disagrees with the POTUS because Jerm's just an awful, flatulent, racist. Which is the only reason someone could possibly disagree with fearless leader.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    USUFB wrote: »
    Sam, you forgot to mention that Jermanator disagrees with the POTUS because Jerm's just an awful, flatulent, racist. Which is the only reason someone could possibly disagree with fearless leader.
    The reality is that I am awfully flatulent. But yea.... What are the other lines that they are using? Oh... I am selfish because I don't want other people to have healthcare. I have no compassion. I guess I also hate women too because I don't want to pay for their "free" birth control (in my day, those were called condoms) and "free" mammograms.

What frustrates me is that if I didn't work as hard as I do, I would be eligible for subsidies. Not only that, but I could save some more money by letting the government pay for my kids' school lunches. I also wouldn't have to bust my saving money to help the kids get a college education-- they can get government grants. I could have the same standard of living but a better lifestyle because I wouldn't have the time and stress involved with working so much. If I slack off even more, they will pay for my family's food and give me a smartphone.

There is something wrong with that system when the harder one works, the harder it is to get ahead.
    -Thomas Paine
    I am sure I will be labeled a teabagger too. To that I say: It sure beats being a teabagee. Maybe they wouldn't have that problem if they shut their mouths.
    -Thomas Paine
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    I guess if that D#%m web site ever gets up and running I'm going to have to get on and see what mine will be. The part that gripes my butt is that you have to create an account just to look. To much info givin before you can look. Any of you tried it and is that part true??
    I spent the first couple of weeks just trying to get a username and password. Last Monday, I was able to enter my info for actual insurance. After that, they made me upload a scan of my driver's license to "confirm my identity". I have been stuck at that point since then and still get that same upload message every time I log in. I still can't look up insurance on the site. So far, I have found my rates through the various insurers' websites. Most are at $1000+ a month for 2- 43 year old adults and 2 children under 18. I am paying $586 a month right now with my current insurance that is cancelled on January 1st.
    -Thomas Paine
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    So it basically doubled.
    So it basically doubled.
    I have found a plan that is sort of close to what I currently have that runs a little over $800 a month (but has a 40% copay as opposed to the 20% I have and a $12k deductible as opposed to the $10k that I currently have-- but.... I also have to add on dental insurance for the two kids at $22/month each to be Obamacare compliant. So the closest honest apples to apples comparison that I can do is that which is an extra $300 a month-- a 50% increase.

I found a silver plan for somewhere around $920/month that, when considering the out of pocket stuff for scripts and office calls, would probably be the best of many bad options for my family. I will still have to pay the dental insurance at $44/month for the kids on top of that.
    -Thomas Paine
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    It is agonizing to see this all play out. Everything the opponents of this disaster said about it is coming true, in spades, and nobody is reporting it, except Fox and talk radio. If this isn't enough to cause a massacre in the mid-term elections, nothing ever will. If the damned establishment Republicans would get busy throwing some gasoline on this burgeoning fire, it would help...oh, but wait...then they would be no better than that awful Ted Cruz.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Best thing that could happen is they get the site up and running as smooth as Amazon.com. Then when all the people that have to buy it go on it see what their cost will be decide to just pay the pittance of a fine. The whole program will implode due to lack of money to run it. And the program, best case, is going to cost the government 4 TRILLION DOLLARS over the first couple of years in borrowed money.

And FWIW, the national debt just exceeded the GNP for the first time in history, EVER. Hello, Greece.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike wrote: »
    Best thing that could happen is they get the site up and running as smooth as Amazon.com. Then when all the people that have to buy it go on it see what their cost will be decide to just pay the pittance of a fine. The whole program will implode due to lack of money to run it. And the program, best case, is going to cost the government 4 TRILLION DOLLARS over the first couple of years in borrowed money.

And FWIW, the national debt just exceeded the GNP for the first time in history, EVER. Hello, Greece.

Pittance next year, bit more the year after. 2016 it will be $695 per adult, $347.50 per child, up to $2085 per family.......... no exactly a pittance.

Once they figure out the real amount of $$$ the ACA is hemorrhaging (not the unicorn fart dream estimates), those fines will go up fast!
    I got back on the site today and they have a new feature where you can pick the state and county that you live in to get approximate rates without going through all the hoops. I still had to click through six different screens and every one of those made it crystal clear that these were the unsubsidized rates and that I may qualify for one. The cheapest plan I can get (I am over 30 so I can't get a catastrophic-- I can only get bronze or better. The cheapest Bronze I can get is $530.68 what they call a "Select Bronze" plan (which is an HMO with a very narrow list of doctors). Then I would need the children's dental for another $44 a month. On my insurer's website, it is more because me and the Mrs. use tobacco and are apparently a bit older (at 43) than the generic rates they are using. There is no information on the Federal website about what these plans are (i.e. copays, deductibles).
    -Thomas Paine
    Oh, and isn't it ironic that to verify my identity, they had me upload a copy of my driver's license but throw a fit if someone is required to show one to vote?
    -Thomas Paine
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    That and it is nobody's business to tell a woman how to manage her "reproductive rights", but they are going to be able to tell you how to manage your health.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Oh, and isn't it ironic that to verify my identity, they had me upload a copy of my driver's license but throw a fit if someone is required to show one to vote?

A clearly racist policy that Oblunder will be SHOCKED, shocked I say, to find out about on the news just like the rest of us found out. A situation he will quickly rectify with imperial decrees
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    On my insurer's website, it is more because...
    ...the Obamacare website is posting estimates for those between 27 and 50 at the rate for a 27 year old, and the rates for 50+ at the rate for 50 year olds. Sleazebags.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_162-57608843/healthcare.gov-pricing-feature-can-be-off-the-mark/
    -Thomas Paine