Pheasant Opener

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 1,481 Senior Member
It was a tough opener out west. Our group of 11 shot 24 pheasants the first day, 8 the 2nd day, and when Pops and I left Monday, only 1 bird harvested.

IMG_0725_zps152c4b32.jpg

High water was an issue with low spot being flooded. Lots of corn still in. The biggest problem was that so much cover was taken out last year, and we had a horrific spring for weather. Many of the birds we did shoot were not fully colored, indicating a late hatch.

IMG_0735_zps128400b0.jpg

But.....the hunt was fun, the dog work was excellent, the whisky and food plentiful, and smack talk endless. So all in all, a great hunt!

IMG_0730_zps828489b7.jpg
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,346 Senior Member
    Always a fun time on pheasant opener. Sounds like your opener was not terribly different from last year's Nebraska opener. Huge habitat destruction due to emergency haying of the CRP fields caused by the drought led to very hard hunting conditions out west. Still, it sounds like you guys managed a very worthwhile hunt and had a lot of fun!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    I think the most enjoyable hunting trip I've ever had was a pheasant hunt out there whar you'ns is. Been 8-9 years now, but a friend and I jumped in the pickup and drove out to Chamberlain, SD and hunted 3 days. The birds were supposed to be wild ones and not released birds, but I don't know for sure.....I'm a little suspicious! Anyhow, the limit was 3 birds a day, and over the 3 days we hunted I shot 10 times and killed 9 birds.....and I'm suspicious about that also! I'm not a wing shot by any stretch of the imagination, and I was using a heavily choked flintlock! At the time I strongly suspicioned that our guide was also shooting just as I let go, but I never heard another gun go off, and when I shot I would wheel around to see if he had also fired off a round. Never saw anything and never heard a second blast, so I don't know but I'm not a wing shot! Did quickly notice that pheasants seem to get off the ground at about a 45-60 degree angle, climb to 25-30 feet then level off and get the hell out of town. I would try to bust 'em just as they leveled off and accelerated to about 150MPH! Anyhow, had a great time! Probably photos of this hunt in the Site Archives, but I don't know how to access 'em.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    I miss hunting pheasants, esp over a good dog. You and your Pop suck!
    Coming over to hunt pheasants is near the top of my bucket list.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,612 Senior Member
    Looks like good times.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Still good hunting
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • agewonagewon Senior Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Only hunting I did was pheasant, while in MN. I had a great time even though the dog took off several times and the only birds we came across were the ones we scurried up.