Got my Newfie bull!!!

Grizz1219Grizz1219 MemberPosts: 424 Member
What a hunt!!!!! Saw 3 cows the first day.... none the second... Got this bull Wed. night... Called him in.. came in grunting and thrashing a tree... Stood for almost 15 minutes (and we got it on video) in one spot, all I could see was his head... Then he moved and I put a 225 grain 338 WM through both lungs... He took it and ran, missed shot #2, then he slowed to a walk and when he stopped at 120 - 130 yards, I put round #3 into him and he tipped over.. 6 1/2 year old bull, 40" wide, estimated live weight at 850 lbs, got over 370 lbs of meat (no bone) from him.... I am just THRILLED with him.. doing a Euro mount on him this week... I'll post pics... Having the hide tanned as well...

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    I don't know what to say. That is more than awesome!

What bullet did you end up using and how was the terminal performance? Penetration? Damage?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Federal Fusion 225 grain.... First round blew through a rib on the entrance side, took out his lungs and then put a 3" exit hole through another rib on the exit side... He was dead on his feet... Second round complete miss.... I was "flustered"... Third round took out his spine... it was over quick..
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,701 Senior Member
    Reading about you guys hunting is one of the highlights I look forward to at this time of the year. You haven't disappointed me Grizz. That thing is a 'horse'!.

Congratulations. Any chance you are going to post up the video? I would love to see it.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    The guide took it.. we tried to transfer it to my SD card but failed.... But, he will be sending it to me... So yes, I'll post it.. The video I did on my phone of the recovery is to big to send anywhere... UG.. I hate when my phone is smarter than me!!!
  • pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    WOW! congradulations that is a great bull. Moose have been on my bucket list for a long time.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,528 Senior Member
    Congratulations on a GREAT bull.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Man what a hoss. I think that's a TC? if so you should consider sending them some pics. You might end up in a magazine ad.
    Anyway, congrats
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    Yeah, my Pro Hunter with a 338 Win Mag barrel and Nikon Prostaff 5 2.5-10 with the BDC...
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,897 Senior Member
    awesome!
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    :worthy:
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    That is a great looking animal. I hope to have the experience someday. Good shooting.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,834 Senior Member
    Sounds like a great hunt...congratulations on a fine bull...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Nice looking bull!
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    Grizz1219 wrote: »
    Federal Fusion 225 grain.... First round blew through a rib on the entrance side, took out his lungs and then put a 3" exit hole through another rib on the exit side... He was dead on his feet...
    What was the distance of that shot? It sounds like that bullet worked perfectly and held up great to punch through ribs going in and out.
    Awesome bull!!!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,659 Senior Member
    Congrats :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    Awesome!! What a bull!
    it doesn't get much better than that.
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    Awesome hunt! Does moose taste like chicken too?
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,725 Senior Member
    Very nice, sounds like it was a good time, congrats.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Awesome, I really hate you right now. I'll never be able to do something like that, I am envious!

Congrats on a great hunt.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Excellent!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    First shot was at 75 yards.... second shot... didn't matter, I probably could have gotten closer throwing the round at him... Third round was at 120 yards, off hand...
    And thanks for the kind words... This was way up on the bucket list... Been wanting to hunt moose for 36 years... It was an amazing hunt, one I will probably never be able to do again..
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Congrats on an awesome trophy. I'm envious.:up:
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
    Got the head and hide in the truck, heading to the taxidermist tonight... Getting the hide soft tanned and the head euro mounted... Will post pics when I get him back!!!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Grizz1219 wrote: »
    What a hunt!!!!! Saw 3 cows the first day.... none the second... Got this bull Wed. night... Called him in.. came in grunting and thrashing a tree... Stood for almost 15 minutes (and we got it on video) in one spot, all I could see was his head... Then he moved and I put a 225 grain 338 WM through both lungs... He took it and ran, missed shot #2, then he slowed to a walk and when he stopped at 120 - 130 yards, I put round #3 into him and he tipped over.. 6 1/2 year old bull, 40" wide, estimated live weight at 850 lbs, got over 370 lbs of meat (no bone) from him.... I am just THRILLED with him.. doing a Euro mount on him this week... I'll post pics... Having the hide tanned as well...

Good for you Grizz, and congrats!!! That's the hunt of a lifetime.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,225 Senior Member
    Simply fantastic. That is a VERY nice bull, especially for that side of North America. I am jealous as hell at the though of a big bull running in to a call like that.

I've pondered doing a Newfoundland bull hunt for a while now, but it'll probably have to wait until the kids are out of the house. The wife isn't too hot on another big-money hunt after South Africa a few years back. Retirement can't come soon enough!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Yeah... my youngest is 19.... This has been on the bucket list since I read an article by Jack O (Mr. 270) when I was 13 about moose hunting... I was done... Knew I had to hunt them... Took 36 years.. but I got there...
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,158 Senior Member
    Bravo, Sir.

:worthy:
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,004 Senior Member
    WOW!! Very nice bull!! That is a once in a life time trophy, and good eatin', too!!
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 455 Member
    Congratulations! Great bull!
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire