Trophy Photos - Why the open action?

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,616 Senior Member
When you actually stomach your way through a hunting show or see trophy photos in magazines........maybe even your own trophy shots.............The proud hunter sits atop his game with the tool used to take it...................often, action open, bolt back, magazine removed, etc.

My question, why the necessity to prove you cleared your weapon to all who view your picture?

I'm not opposed to the practice, just seems like window dressing to me. Personally, I clear the weapon, verify clear, then close the action and place it on or near the animal with the muzzle still pointing in a safe direction. I don't feel the need to leave the action open for all sorts of crud and grime to fall into it.

So, why do some do it? Again, I don't care that you do.........just doesn't make since to me.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,616 Senior Member
    Case in point.

Gall_Red-Stag-9x10-2.jpg

gall-Blackbuck-2.jpg
    cpj wrote: »
    I have no issue with. AAMOF, I prefer to see it. That proves to ME it's open.

I have no issue with it either. I just don't do it and was curious as to why others did.

I understand the "reason" and that being to show the weapon clear. But, if it's you and a hunting partner or you by yourself..........
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I do it. Unless it's a revolver I guess. I equate it to a finger on the trigger in a gun ad or on TV or whatever. If I saw a pic in a gun mag and the action was not open, it's not something I'd write a letter to the editor about or anything.
    I guess it's just an extra margin of safety.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    I don't do it and don't put the gun in the pic normally and if still in the field the gun would be loaded cause you can't shoot something with an un
    loaded gun.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    I do it. Unless it's a revolver I guess. I equate it to a finger on the trigger in a gun ad or on TV or whatever. If I saw a pic in a gun mag and the action was not open, it's not something I'd write a letter to the editor about or anything.
    I guess it's just an extra margin of safety.

Then why not revolvers? Why not safety across the board?
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I have wondered the same thing, Zee. I don't do it and think it's a bit ridiculous.

Like you said, I know it's safe and there is no one "down range" so I think it's pointless.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I suppose it depends in who I'm with. With you? Who cares. With Buffco? I want to have the bolt removed and in my pocket, as well as all the ammo in my pocket.

You wound me.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...don't do that around here, ya reload & keep it right handy, just in case the gristly bears think yer catering "lunch"...
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Then why not revolvers? Why not safety across the board?

I guess 'cause a revolver might look goofy with the cylinder hanging open. Hell, I dunno, never gave it much thought really. And now that I do the only revolver I ever killed a deer with was a SA. So that would be goofy to pull the cylinder.

To Ned's point, yes, while I'm gutting big game the rifle is laying right there, locked and loaded and my head is on a swivel. You never know what might walk up and volunteer.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    Interesting point, Zee. From a lifelong shotgun hunter' s point of view.
    I've only ever taken one such picture with a bolt rifle. The bolt was closed, rifle stil loaded. Never thought about it.

On the flip side, usually I leave the action on my 11-87 open. If it's unloaded. Not because I'm worried about what anyone thinks, but because I always leave it open when I've unloaded it while hunting. No point in closing it, then having to open it again to load back up.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,045 Senior Member
    I make sure the chamber is clear, close the bolt and pull the trigger. Bolt stays closed after that.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I mean, if you reference the two pictures I posted above, we see two unattended rifles with bolts open and I assume empty chambers.

My question? Why? It would be safe to assume that the hunter emptied the rifles chamber and placed the firearm on the animal in question. Is there fear that, as the hunter steps away to take the picture, the rifle will inadvertently load itself and discharge? Might the animal suddenly come to life and use said weapon to dispatch the hunter himself?

Yes, tongue in cheek. But, the rifle was laid on the animal and the hunter backed away to take a picture. Or, stepped out of the frame and the guide took it. Or..........whatever!!!! Point being, the rifle was unloaded. Why leave the bolt back and the action open? Why not simply clear the chamber and close the bolt? Do not both methods render a safe weapon? Yes, with the bolt back, it is visually apparent that the rifle is out of battery. But, who are you trying to show this to? The viewer? The guide? Your hunting buddy?

Screw the viewer, as they aren't even pertinent. My guide? "Hey, rifle is unloaded. I'm putting it here for the pic." Or............"Hey, rifle is still loaded, but the safety is on. Please don't mess with it while I take a pic."

Either way, bolt back or closed on empty chamber..........the weapon can't fire. If it's loaded because of marauding bear looking for an easy meal, so be it. A simple mention and all should be understood. I don't need to place caution tape around the rifle with "Loaded Gun Here" signs strategically placed.

Ultimately, my weapon is my responsibility. If I choose to leave the bolt back or action open..........so be it. If I choose to clear the chamber and leave the bolt forward/action closed.................so be it. If I choose to leave it loaded and walk away for a moment............so be it. But, the later begs a little verbal como if others be present. We would think that's a no brainer. Guess that's a bold assumption at times.

But, if seeing a firearm laying on a deceased animal with the action closed rocks your Ooda Loop..............rest assured.........it will likely not self detonate and if you are brave enough to approach said unattended weapon and take your life into your own hands by actually TOUCHING said weapon................for the love of God................clear the weapon!!!!!! Wait...............isn't that supposed to be standard practice?

Disregard.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,729 Senior Member
    Because Internet.

Seriously, have you ever read the comments on youtube gun videos, or any of the blogs if there is a picture or video that is mposted and someone thinks there might have been a safety violation? The cries of "Safety Check!" or "Boogerhook/Bangswitch!!" are deafening.

A while ago, one of the bloggers posted a pic of a non-shooter having a ball with one of those Bug-A-Salt guns that shoots a pinch of salt to kill flies. There were PAGES of prople calling her an idiot for having her finger on the trigger.

That's why. Because people want to prove they know more than an 'expert'
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,533 Senior Member
    Never thought about it while I was hunting by myself. The bolt just was opened when I was done with the rifle. When the knife comes out, I'm not hunting for a while. If you are taking pictures, you are not hunting. If I am going to hunt after I am done gutting and picture taking, then I can reload and close the bolt then. If I am working on one of the families deer and one wanders close enough to see in the woods I hunt in, I want him to live anyway so that he passes that dumb gene on to next years deer.

As to getting dirt in the action...... don't drop your rifle in the dirt, problem solved.

When the kids started hunting, I want their bolts open because they forget things. I don't handle their firearms that is their responsibility while they are my responsibility, so when I glance at their rifles, I can verify that they remembered.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    Guns stay loaded until I am on the porch of the hunting shack, more deer, wolves, wolverines, bobcats, lynx, cougars......
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Because Internet.

Seriously, have you ever read the comments on youtube gun videos, or any of the blogs if there is a picture or video that is mposted and someone thinks there might have been a safety violation? The cries of "Safety Check!" or "Boogerhook/Bangswitch!!" are deafening.

A while ago, one of the bloggers posted a pic of a non-shooter having a ball with one of those Bug-A-Salt guns that shoots a pinch of salt to kill flies. There were PAGES of prople calling her an idiot for having her finger on the trigger.

That's why. Because people want to prove they know more than an 'expert'

Because Safety Nazis are everywhere. Take this original photo of John Browning for example.
    johnbrowning1.jpg

Now look at the same photo published on the cover of the Browning catalog a few years ago.
    JBrowning.jpg

Notice anything different about the position of his trigger finger? The safety sallies would have had a stroke if Browning had used the unaltered original photo. It's a bunch of PC BS if you ask me.
    As to getting dirt in the action...... don't drop your rifle in the dirt, problem solved.

As to seeing a firearm with a closed action sitting on the ground or on a deceased animal..............don't touch the trigger, problem solved.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,729 Senior Member
    Yep, JMB was not one to keep off the trigger:
    jmb3.jpg

jmb4.jpg

jmb5.jpg

jmb2.jpg
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    I wonder why they reversed the negative on the original? Bigslug probably knows. :tooth:
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Yep, JMB was not one to keep off the trigger:

How on earth were hundreds not killed in the taking of those photos?
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I wonder why they reversed the negative on the original? Bigslug probably knows. :tooth:

Why was he holding the gun left handed?
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    How on earth were hundreds not killed in the taking of those photos?

They probably were but he got a free pass cos he is JMB.............:wink:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    Why was he holding the gun left handed?

The original photo is reversed. Note the loading hole in the side of the stock.
    You been sittin on the beach without pants on again, haven't you? I thought I told ya not to do that. Sand is rough on your giner.

Nope, just posing a question to the PC, knee-jerk, status quo, afraid of guns, lack common sense, what will people think, it's for the children, lemming , and whoever else I might have forgotten crowd.

Just trying to get the brains working on why people do what they do.

;-)
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    Magazine -1 inserted, round chambered, safety on...Never can tell when what I was actually hunting might show up

007.jpg
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    When I am hunting the family farm I don't unload my rifle. I leave it in the pickup, loaded, at night. It might hanging on the wall of the shop 15 feet from me while I use the torch but it is loaded. I have been doing it this way for 10 years and not one rifle has gone on a murderous rampage. Not one family member has picked up a rifle and stupidly shot themselves or someone else.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    I'm not a PC idiot, but if you teach kids to not leave anything to chance, then they will be, in my opinion, safer. It's a matter of teaching habits. The thinking among the Hunter Ed bunch is that if you keep things loaded then at some point it can bite you. I'm not arrogant about this. I think people are human and the best of us will make a mistake sooner or later. Remember what Ernie says about walking on water? I haven't seen anyone here that can do that. I guess I've just had to much safety exposure. But let me share a sad story here. My good friend now deceased was a hunter ed instructor, in fact he got me into it, and in January, 1984 he was gone all day teaching a hunter ed class. While he was gone his nephew who had borrowed his Garand to qualify for a rifle program at highschool brought the rifle back and left it with his wife. She told him to just lay it on the bed and Lanny would put it up when he got home. Lanny got home about 5 PM and his wife had dinner on the table. While they were eating she remembered his Garand on the bed so she told him. He immediately got up to put it up in its spot in his closet. He took the rifle which was unloaded and action open and took it to his dedicated gun closet (This was in the day before safes were popular.) When he placed the Garand which was unloaded in the closet he hit his 12 gauge and it started to fall. So he grabbed the shot gun by the barrel and picked up on it. The shotgun's trigger hung on the Garand's bolt and the shotgun discharged blowing Lanny's right eye out of his head, blowing his right thumb off, and peppered his face and head with shot. He had left the shotgun loaded as was his usual practice. That was bad enough, but to make matters worse, one bb hit him below the left eye, bouncing off the facial bone and going in his left eye ball and damaging the retina. after this he was legally blind having lost 80 % of his vision. There was a lot of shot left in his head they didn't attempt to remove. About 18 years later he developed an inoperable brain tumor which killed in within 4 months. This happened to a very experienced gun guy who was a safety instructor to boot. If it can happen to him it can sure as hell happen to any of us. If the gun is not loaded while it is not being used, then when you make that even seldom mistake, then it won't hurt you.

Now I'm not a safety Nazi, but to me it's common sense to make your guns as safe as possible while you don't need them loaded. I'm definitely not against keeping a home defense weapon loaded but it should be kept in a location where kids and irresponsible adults don't have ready access to them. Also, this taught me that if you have one long gun loaded for home defense, it should be by itself so that the above scenario doesn't happen to you.

Having said all this, if I'm doing Photo ops or cleaning game, and I am concerned about predators or other potentially dangerous animals getting the drop on me, I keep them loaded too and in a controlled environment. Also, if there is a chance of getting another shot at game I also will keep my hunting rifle ready., But not at home. There, I have one long gun and one hand gun at the ready, in a strategic location where I can get to it readily and one hand gun in another safe location which is separate from my others, which are normally in the safe unloaded. I never trust my safety to memory. Not that I don't use my head, I just take extra precautions. It's all about common sense, not political correctness.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,420 Senior Member
    The "dirt in the action" comment reminds me of the story about a Texan and a Tennesseean doing their thing at two urinals. The ridgerunner finished his business, zipped up, and headed out the door. The Texan said "In Texas, they teach us to wash our hands after we pee!" The Tennesseean said "In Tennessee they teach us not to pee on our hands!"
    :devil:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,045 Senior Member
    There are a lot of cases in the area where I live if you leave your action opens you are just inviting all kinds of sand and grit in there that I don't want in my actions.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    Wait a minute Teach, I heard that as a Texan as a New Yorker, LOL!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.