Trophy Photos - Why the open action?

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    I still have problems with my Edit Post button on here So I have to make another post to correct mistakes.

Above I meant "I heard that joke as a Texan and a New Yorker, not a Texan AS a New Yorker.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,044 Senior Member
    I am not worried about me "spraying."
    It is the conditions that I do not have control of.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,040 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    How on earth were hundreds not killed in the taking of those photos?

Are you kidding? Those are Browning machineguns! Those early promo photos are the starting pages of more deaths than smallpox!

I spend my day in the company of people carrying loaded guns. Not sure why I'd want anyone to download when the subject of the photo is already dead. Safe gun handling does not require an empty gun.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,612 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Safe gun handling does not require an empty gun.

Nope. Just a brain.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Yep the grave yard's full of that opinion I think.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Yep the grave yard's full of that opinion I think.

Guess they didn't use the brain they had.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Just trying to get the brains working on why people do what they do.

That's an exercise in futility
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    The "dirt in the action" comment reminds me of the story about a Texan and a Tennesseean doing their thing at two urinals. The ridgerunner finished his business, zipped up, and headed out the door. The Texan said "In Texas, they teach us to wash our hands after we pee!" The Tennesseean said "In Tennessee they teach us not to pee on our hands!"
    :devil:
    Jerry

That was a Navy vs. Marine joke when I heard it. :jester:

About the only time I leave the bolt open is when I am at the range, and want my fellow shooters to be able to tell at a glance that they have nothing to fear from me when the range 'goes cold' so people can go put up (or take down) their targets. It's just a courtesy that I appreciate when I know nothing about the guy next to me with all the mall ninja gear. If I have done it in a photo, it was probably because I was gonna be standing in front of the muzzle to take the picture.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,025 Senior Member
    wildgene wrote: »
    ...don't do that around here, ya reload & keep it right handy, just in case the gristly bears think yer catering "lunch"...

I'll second that. That is just something you never see in Western Wyoming.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,044 Senior Member
    Not from locals anyway.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    "this is my safety sir..."

:nono:
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    That was a Navy vs. Marine joke when I heard it. :jester:

About the only time I leave the bolt open is when I am at the range, and want my fellow shooters to be able to tell at a glance that they have nothing to fear from me when the range 'goes cold' so people can go put up (or take down) their targets. It's just a courtesy that I appreciate when I know nothing about the guy next to me with all the mall ninja gear. If I have done it in a photo, it was probably because I was gonna be standing in front of the muzzle to take the picture.

This. In spades. Only at the range. Never in the field.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,530 Senior Member
    Nope, just posing a question to the PC, knee-jerk, status quo, afraid of guns, lack common sense, what will people think, it's for the children, lemming , and whoever else I might have forgotten crowd.

Just trying to get the brains working on why people do what they do.

;-)
    No, that isn't a question. You are posting your opinion on a forum and belittling everyone elses by making up fairy tales about why they do what they do because in your world, you are always right. Which is fine, but not everyone lives in your world, and contrary to your opinion, yours is not the only way, nor is is the right way.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    I have no issue with it either. I just don't do it and was curious as to why others did.

I'm sorry, I thought this was clear enough that I didn't care either way what other chose to do. I was just curious as to why.

So, I'll say it again for you.

It doesn't bother me either way, what others choose to do in regards to this question. Just curious as to why.

If you have trouble understanding that, I'll gladly repeat myself again. No issues.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,025 Senior Member
    Not from locals anyway.

Right Ernie, must just be them dang "Foreigners" who invade every fall.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,530 Senior Member
    I'm sorry, I thought this was clear enough that I didn't care either way what other chose to do. I was just curious as to why.

So, I'll say it again for you.

It doesn't bother me either way, what others choose to do in regards to this question. Just curious as to why.

If you have trouble understanding that, I'll gladly repeat myself again. No issues.

No issues? Seriously, do you think that the critter you just gutted is going to jump up screaming "BWAINSSSS!!!!!" so you keep the rifle ready?
    Is there fear that, as the hunter steps away to take the picture, the rifle will inadvertently load itself and discharge? Might the animal suddenly come to life and use said weapon to dispatch the hunter himself?

Yes, tongue in cheek. But, the rifle was laid on the animal and the hunter backed away to take a picture. Or, stepped out of the frame and the guide took it. Or..........whatever!!!! Point being, the rifle was unloaded. Why leave the bolt back and the action open? Why not simply clear the chamber and close the bolt? Do not both methods render a safe weapon? Yes, with the bolt back, it is visually apparent that the rifle is out of battery. But, who are you trying to show this to? The viewer? The guide? Your hunting buddy?
    Your issue is you think that anyone cares if the bolt is seen open. Did you ever stop for a second and run it through your head, that some folks just do it differently?

Screw the viewer
    FYI, this includes viewers who insist that one must close the bolt or be referred to as a "PC, knee-jerk, status quo, afraid of guns, lack common sense, what will people think, it's for the children, lemming"
    , as they aren't even pertinent. My guide? "Hey, rifle is unloaded. I'm putting it here for the pic." Or............"Hey, rifle is still loaded, but the safety is on. Please don't mess with it while I take a pic."

Either way, bolt back or closed on empty chamber..........the weapon can't fire. If it's loaded because of marauding bear looking for an easy meal, so be it. A simple mention and all should be understood. I don't need to place caution tape around the rifle with "Loaded Gun Here" signs strategically placed.

Ultimately, my weapon is my responsibility. If I choose to leave the bolt back or action open..........so be it. If I choose to clear the chamber and leave the bolt forward/action closed.................so be it. If I choose to leave it loaded and walk away for a moment............so be it. But, the later begs a little verbal como if others be present. We would think that's a no brainer. Guess that's a bold assumption at times.

But, if seeing a firearm laying on a deceased animal with the action closed rocks your Ooda Loop..............rest assured.........it will likely not self detonate and if you are brave enough to approach said unattended weapon and take your life into your own hands by actually TOUCHING said weapon................for the love of God................clear the weapon!!!!!! Wait...............isn't that supposed to be standard practice?

Loosen the kilt Francis, its blocking your ears. Some folks don't need to be Great White Hunter and a Rambo knife with the ability to slay every animal within a 1/2 square mile at every instant we are in the woods. In the 38 years I have been bumping around in the woods with a rifle, I have yet to come upon the occasion to need a locked and loaded rifle while I was elbow deep in guts. I have never hunted in grizzly country. If I ever do, I might go ahead and leave it locked up while gutting or taking pictures. Not really a big deal to do if it is necessary. However, when I am not hunting there is no reason to have it loaded, or even have the action closed. I have hunted in dirty areas, rain, and near white out conditions. Haven't yet run into a time when the action got fouled. Is there a place where closing the action is a good idea to keep dirt out? Probably. I havent seen a dead critter pic on here that looks like a cut from Lawrence of Arabia yet, so likely with a little care it probably isn't really needed, just a way of doing things.

If it doesn't bother you, why on earth are you belittling any possible mention of anyone doing it in a different way? You asked the question, you got answers. You don't like the answer, it can be debated, doesn't mean you are right and everyone else is afraid of firearms. If you are looking for knee jerk, try the mirror because this appears to bother the snot out of you.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Goodness! You are truely bothered by this. That is quite a bit of effort. Let's take this a step at a time.
    No issues? Seriously, do you think that the critter you just gutted is going to jump up screaming "BWAINSSSS!!!!!" so you keep the rifle ready?

Actually, nowhere that I recall did I ever mention that I keep the rifle loaded. In reality, I most likely have an empty chamber with a closed bolt. Others here mentioned leaving the chamber loaded, but not me.

Your issue is you think that anyone cares if the bolt is seen open.

No, I asked if it was for the sake of the viewer. You know, like I mentioned in reference to watching hunting shows. Are they doing it for the sake of the viewer? As Bullsi mentioned, they fear retribution from viewers.

Did you ever stop for a second and run it through your head, that some folks just do it differently?

Sure. So, I asked why. Just curious as to reasoning.

FYI, this includes viewers who insist that one must close the bolt or be referred to as a "PC, knee-jerk, status quo, afraid of guns, lack common sense, what will people think, it's for the children, lemming"

It would appear that the art of sarcasm is lost on you, my friend.

Loosen the kilt Francis, its blocking your ears. Some folks don't need to be Great White Hunter and a Rambo knife with the ability to slay every animal within a 1/2 square mile at every instant we are in the woods. In the 38 years I have been bumping around in the woods with a rifle, I have yet to come upon the occasion to need a locked and loaded rifle while I was elbow deep in guts. I have never hunted in grizzly country. If I ever do, I might go ahead and leave it locked up while gutting or taking pictures. Not really a big deal to do if it is necessary. However, when I am not hunting there is no reason to have it loaded, or even have the action closed.

So, since I mentioned that I never mentioned that I keep the gun loaded and actually stated above that my chamber is most likely empty with a closed bolt.........that I can keep my kilt as is. Because, you are obviously speaking to the other forum members that stated they keep their firearms loaded. No?

I have hunted in dirty areas, rain, and near white out conditions. Haven't yet run into a time when the action got fouled. Is there a place where closing the action is a good idea to keep dirt out? Probably. I havent seen a dead critter pic on here that looks like a cut from Lawrence of Arabia yet, so likely with a little care it probably isn't really needed, just a way of doing things.

Couldn't that be stated for your method as well?

If it doesn't bother you, why on earth are you belittling any possible mention of anyone doing it in a different way?

I used sarcasm, yes. But, I don't recall taking anyones reason and using it to belittle them. Can you show me where I did such? I'd like to appologize if there was that misunderstanding.

You asked the question, you got answers. You don't like the answer, it can be debated,

Did I counter anyones specific reason? As I stated earlier, I'm just trying to get the brains working. Why do we do what we do? That's all. Some might actually have never though as to why they do it. Maybe it's a "just because". Therefore, I am trying to task ourselves to know WHY we do what we do instead of "just because".

doesn't mean you are right and everyone else is afraid of firearms.

Never said I was right. Even mentioned a few times that I didn't care how others operated. It's called conversation....................with sarcasm.

If you are looking for knee jerk, try the mirror because this appears to bother the snot out of you.

No, I'm not bothered. I never felt I would lose a moment of sleep because others did something differently. Just having a conversation with a little sarcasm and jabs to get the brains thinking.

It seems there is something in the water to cause your feelings to have become hurt. Something in the air to cause thin skin? A jaring conversation too much for the emotions? Seriously, if I offended you in any way, it was not my intention. I'm having fun and don't recall singling any one out in an attack. I spoke in generalities. If it hit you between the eyes...........duck next time. I am not a Kumbaya kind of guy. I don't hug everyone and think the world should be full of compliments and hand holding. I like deep conversations that cause me to think and bust knuckles occasionally. Toe to toe, so to speak. Heat up some conversations and let's get to the bottom of things. Now, we're getting somewhere!

This is the internet........check your feelings at the door.

:wink::beer:
    I just re-read the thread. Can someone show me where I specifically attacked any forum member or belittled their specific reasoning?

Seriously, I'm trying to figure out where Varmintmist and I went south on this conversation.
    I mean, if you reference the two pictures I posted above, we see two unattended rifles with bolts open and I assume empty chambers.

My question? Why? It would be safe to assume that the hunter emptied the rifles chamber and placed the firearm on the animal in question. Is there fear that, as the hunter steps away to take the picture, the rifle will inadvertently load itself and discharge? Might the animal suddenly come to life and use said weapon to dispatch the hunter himself?

Yes, tongue in cheek. But, the rifle was laid on the animal and the hunter backed away to take a picture. Or, stepped out of the frame and the guide took it. Or..........whatever!!!! Point being, the rifle was unloaded. Why leave the bolt back and the action open? Why not simply clear the chamber and close the bolt? Do not both methods render a safe weapon? Yes, with the bolt back, it is visually apparent that the rifle is out of battery. But, who are you trying to show this to? The viewer? The guide? Your hunting buddy?

Screw the viewer, as they aren't even pertinent. My guide? "Hey, rifle is unloaded. I'm putting it here for the pic." Or............"Hey, rifle is still loaded, but the safety is on. Please don't mess with it while I take a pic."

Either way, bolt back or closed on empty chamber..........the weapon can't fire. If it's loaded because of marauding bear looking for an easy meal, so be it. A simple mention and all should be understood. I don't need to place caution tape around the rifle with "Loaded Gun Here" signs strategically placed.

Ultimately, my weapon is my responsibility. If I choose to leave the bolt back or action open..........so be it. If I choose to clear the chamber and leave the bolt forward/action closed.................so be it. If I choose to leave it loaded and walk away for a moment............so be it. But, the later begs a little verbal como if others be present. We would think that's a no brainer. Guess that's a bold assumption at times.

But, if seeing a firearm laying on a deceased animal with the action closed rocks your Ooda Loop..............rest assured.........it will likely not self detonate and if you are brave enough to approach said unattended weapon and take your life into your own hands by actually TOUCHING said weapon................for the love of God................clear the weapon!!!!!! Wait...............isn't that supposed to be standard practice?

Disregard.

It must be somewhere in this post. But, for the life of me.........I was only using sarcasm to get us to consider reasons for doing things. I even admitted to "tongue in cheek".

So, what happened here?
    Ultimately, my weapon is my responsibility. If I choose to leave the bolt back or action open..........so be it. If I choose to clear the chamber and leave the bolt forward/action closed.................so be it. If I choose to leave it loaded and walk away for a moment............so be it.

I thought this made things pretty cut and dry as to my feelings with either method.

Yes? No?
    As to dirt in the action........

I admit to it being a painfully ingrained way of thinking. Lots of screaming and yelling with hours of pushing the ground away in reference to dust covers and closed bolts. Even if you yourself didn't actually do the infraction............there are those in this world who are "equal opportunity enforcers". So yeah, I protect my actions at all cost now. Pushing the earth is a great training tool.

It all makes sense to me now. Take care of your gear and your gear takes care of you.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    Now, for the next question: Do you unload your rifle while taking a dump in the woods? and as an add-on, have you ever used one of your socks as toilet paper?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Now, for the next question: Do you unload your rifle while taking a dump in the woods? and as an add-on, have you ever used one of your socks as toilet paper?

No, to the unloaded weapon. I don't want animals to get the wrong idea and attempt to take advantage of my tender situation.

No, to the socks as well.
    For those unfamiliar with the term.......the above post is what we call sarcasm.
    Jayhawker wrote: »

I always carry a bandana for a handkerchief in my hip pocket, for that specific reason. It can be easily torn into quarters and used, as needed. Of course, my wife rebels against the idea of washing the remaining quarters and putting them in a drawer - upsets her sense of order, but she does it because she knows I'll just buy new ones and tear them up if she throws them away.

As for the loaded gun while taking a dump - lately, I always keep the 10mm handy, since my encounter with a big boar while in a...compromised...condition. I watched him coming straight at me, at a brisk trot, for about a hundred yards, before peeling off down a game trail a few yards in front of me. He never saw (or smelled) me, but I didn't know that, for sure, until the last instant. It's a very helpless feeling.
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    There are not many spots that are more helpless than with your pants around your ankles dropping a deuce. Standing there with your fly down and Mr. Johnson in your hand is close second, nobody wants to "go to guns" with your gun hanging out.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 311 Member
    Thanks for the very entertaining debate guys, I nearly sprayed my monitor with coffee from posts on both sides of the question several times. Good stuff, I enjoy intelligent sarcasm as humor.

Do some of you actually go into the woods packed so light that you have to scrounge for butt wipe? A couple good wipes worth in a zip-loc bag in a pouch, light pack, or pocket solves that problem, and can also double as fire tinder (...unused of course...). Maybe the type of terrain being covered dictates the level of need. Where I am here in the mountains of northern Washington, "the woods" are deep, thick, and potentially dangerous, and when I venture off alone into it, I prefer to carry a few basics. We do have out here, I might add, a wonderful local forest plant known as the "thimbleberry" which has a large, broad leaf that is velvety-soft..........
    We do have out here, I might add, a wonderful local forest plant known as the "thimbleberry" which has a large, broad leaf that is velvety-soft..........

Mulberry tree leaves work nicely, but there's almost never one around when you need it, and most hunting occurs in the fall when they are crumbly. I guess crumbly beats tearing off your shirt tail. :tooth:
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    I for one ALWAYS carry wiping paper. The very few times I have been caught without I used a shirt sleeve. I am NOT giving up a sock. There was one time when my shirt was already sleeveless, I looked kinda funny in a tied up belly shirt. I brought sexy back anyway.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    These work really well. Highly recommended.

image-1.jpg