Trophy Photos - Why the open action?

Replies

• randysmithrandysmith New Member Posts: 26 New Member
    Real men don't have to obey any firearm safety guidelines. They can do anything they want.

Funny thing every time I ask a good ole boy if their firearm with a closed action is loaded, the answer is always something like "no, it is not loaded because I unloaded it at home."

I counter by asking if they are so confident, would they hold the muzzle at their head and pull the trigger? So far, nobody is that confident.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,660 Senior Member
    randysmith wrote: »
    Real men don't have to obey any firearm safety guidelines. They can do anything they want.

Funny thing every time I ask a good ole boy if their firearm with a closed action is loaded, the answer is always something like "no, it is not loaded because I unloaded it at home."

I counter by asking if they are so confident, would they hold the muzzle at their head and pull the trigger? So far, nobody is that confident.

An attempt at humor, yes?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member

offtopic-1.gif This thread is about closed vs open actions in a photo....not when you are handling firearms around other people. Stick with the OT
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    For someone that is so persnickety about staying on topic, you sure don't mind twisting a conversation to fit your preconceived notions.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    offtopic-1.gif This thread is about closed vs open actions in a photo....not when you are handling firearms around other people. Stick with the OT

Who takes most trophy photos? A person with a camera.

You people sure do like to rationalize reckless and unsafe gun handling. But, that is part of being a real man isn't it?
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Randy, you've gotten off on a major wrong foot here. No one here feels the need to prove their manhood. Much less prove it with reckless gun handling practices. take it easy. The Mods don't play here.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    Who takes most trophy photos? A person with a camera.

You people sure do like to rationalize reckless and unsafe gun handling. But, that is part of being a real man isn't it?

I take my own trophy photos...I know the condition my firearm is in. What is reckless or unsafe about having a closed bolt as long as I'm the only one handling it? Why is there a need to demonstrate to the world that in a photo the firearm is empty? There is a difference between being safe and being anal...

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,612 Senior Member
    I take my own trophy photos...I know the condition my firearm is in. What is reckless or unsafe about having a closed bolt as long as I'm the only one handling it? Why is there a need to demonstrate to the world that in a photo the firearm is empty?

This.

If a weapon has been cleared, what's wrong with a closed bolt/action?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    That's a pretty big generalization based on your what, 1 hour of being a member here? You do know how to make a splash when you get in the pool don't you.

He's been here several days, I believe.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Since I take any pictures of the game I kill, I just put the camera on a tripod, or screw it into a convenient cut off sapling, hit the timer button, and get in the picture before the timer times out. Action of whatever type is closed and a round chambered, generally, and safety is ON if it has a safety. All my firearms are well trained and will not shoot me. I have told them all of heathens who do not care for their firearms and misuse them badly. They are all glad to have an owner that appreciates each one and lavishes care on them, regardless of caliber, maker, or condition.

As to the TP, I carry a roll in my small pack I carry when hunting. If it's got green leaves in November, it's most likely poison oak or poison ivy. Not even in the top ten of things to use for that purpose. Dry leaves are also.............unsatisfactory for the purpose. I also have a roll of paper towels in the trucks for window cleaning, and have used them for TP on occasion. I've pinched a loaf or three along the Interstate on occasion; the woods tend to be cleaner than the gas station bathrooms.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

His intro thread and all his posts are dated today last I checked, though the name and style seem familiar... :uhm:

His first post was on November 12th. So, a couple and not several. My bad.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,417 Senior Member
    Want to start a pool on when his last one will be?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Teach wrote: »
    Want to start a pool on when his last one will be?
    Jerry

You'd win.

Ha!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    His intro thread and all his posts are dated today last I checked, though the name and style seem familiar... :uhm:
    I believe you're thinking of a previous member "randymac" for the name
    Or possibly bosworth :uhm:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Here you go, Zee. This month's G&A (Jan 2014) came yesterday and Mike from Virginia has an answer to
    your question. How many injuries do you suppose have been sustained by viewing photos of firearms with
    their actions closed? :nono:
    This mindset is out there.
    gampaopenaction.jpg
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,728 Senior Member
    Where did he come up with that "fundamental" rule? First time I have ever heard of it.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Yes, I'm quite an offender by his standards. Every bolt gun in my vault has the bolt closed. And the ones with detachable magazines
    have the magazine in. And I'm not in contact with any of them.

My over-under and double barreled shotguns all have the actions closed. They'd not fit otherwise.

Magazines are in 1911's and bolt guns and……
    Well, it's just a dangerous gun vault. Taking the tubular magazines from my lever guns seems a bit much and
    if their actions were open, the levers would stick out and get in the way. Sheeeesh!!
    Should I keep the cylinders out on all of my revolvers?
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Where did he come up with that "fundamental" rule? First time I have ever heard of it.

Yeah..........that.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,346 Senior Member
    I don't think that I have ever taken a single picture with the bolt open on my rifles - ever. Though I won't knock someone who wants to open their bolt for a pic, demanding someone else do so seems as ludicrous as demanding that a picture of a semi-auto handgun that I'm posting on here be taken with the slide locked back, mag removed or be considered a major safety violation. I demand safety as much as the next guy, but I also demand some degree of common sense. If I did a proper clearing and safety check, I am completely confident in closing the bolt and keeping the blowing snow/dust/etc. out of my action. Besides, if I really am a safe gun owner, I'm going to check it when I go to handle it again anyway.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,346 Senior Member
    I can definitely agree, it's not a bad example to show, for certain, that gun is unloaded to the unwashed masses by taking a picture with the bolt open. What I DO have an issue with is a guy like the one posted in that magazine clip acting like someone who hasn't opened the bolt for a pic has actually commited a safety infraction. He used the word "perhaps," as in "perhaps loaded" = well, perhaps it's UNLOADED. That's up to me to determine and a picture of something unknown and unseen cannot be considered damning evidence of anything. If his argument that a gun that's not immediately in your control or contact should be totally neutered, I'd argued that by that logic, a holstered gun should them be kept completely unloaded with the magazine removed. After all, you don't have immediate control of the gun, so who can tell what's going to happen with it. Seems a bit absurd, doesn't it?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,043 Senior Member
    And to think I considered myself the safety Nazi......
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    i don't remember why I started the hero shot pics with the bolt open but I can tell you why I will continue doing it. Look at the pic below and note how the bolt is open and at rearward most position. now look where the muzzle is pointing. In preparation for the shot I took pains to make sure the muzzle was not pointed at me like that. In fact I didn't notice it til one of our Dan posters here commented on it after i posted the pic.

All I can think is when i lifted his head for my wife to take the pic the rifle slid down like that. So while the rifle was in battery while I dressed him and during the long drag back to camp. Once there, my hunt was over for the day. Safety first in my book.

That particular rifle is an 8mm RM I would have died on the spot in front of my wife.
    So do what you want but I think it's silly to bring up dismantling revolvers and so forth.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Nicely done Snake....now if we could just get you to eliminate "libtard" from your vocabulary....:jester:

Ahh.....................................No! And if anyone here has a problem with it, I just don't know what to tell you. I like the word, because it describes the leftists to a TEE. If it's because I use it repetedly that's because I haven't found any substitute in being descriptive of the leftist pigs we're in a war with for our very lives, as we know them.

The one thing I hate about the Republican leadership in Congress is their being so gentile with the Democrats. We need to stand up to them. Screw bypartisanship. That means compromise. Our founding fathers weren't into a lot of compromise. There wasn't a whole lot of compromise written into the Declaration of Independence. When's the last time you noticed the left compromising? Even when they're defeated they don't back down. And that's why they're winning.

No, I won't quit using that word until I find a more descriptive term for the left. It's a very simple word that tells it like it is. I will not stop using it. It tells it like it is.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    The fact is that accidental deaths from firearms are at an all time low because as a group, shooters have become almost militaristic with safety. To hunt you need safety training. To carry a pistol you need safety training in most states. We all school our kids from a very young age to follow the safety rules with no margin for error because the potential losses are just too big to bear. I agree that a gun in a picture is of no consequence to anyone's actual safety but as the digital age advances, anything you post anywhere is now public domain and I think it is Ok to give a good example to others by following reasonable safety procedures and illustrating them in pictures. Is this a rule, HELL NO!!! Is it a good idea, probably. Should anyone be chastised for not doing it? Lord NO, and why would anyone expend the energy on it...

:that:

And to add to this, repetition is a big part of safety. It insures that when you don't have time to think, or when thinking fails, you can fall back on safety training. As I said, repetition is a big part of that training. If you do something mindlessly over and over then it becomes automatic. I know some of you might not like that idea, and I myself usually question such action. But not when it comes to safety. Being safe means leaving no stone unturned to insure things are safe. This should be removed from the PRIDE sector of your brain. Think of it as No Big Thing. It's just a matter of mental conditioning necessary for being safe. It's no different than manuvers practiced by race car drivers or fighter jet pilots that make a certain reaction to a situation automatic.

While I was an instructor for Hunter Eduaction for the State of Texas, we were taught to make safety practices automatic to take thinking out of the game. This doesn't mean we don't need to think, it is just in addition to our regular thougth process that comes in handy when thinking fails us.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    The following is copied from the National Shooting Sports Foundation’s website.
    There seems to be an omission. Shouldn’t it say something like, “you can pose with a loaded weapon leaning on a trophy as long as you know it’s safe. Do real men need all these stinking rules?

2. Firearms Should Be Unloaded When Not Actually In Use
    Firearms should be loaded only when you are in the field or on the target range or shooting area, ready to shoot.

When not in use, firearms and ammunition should be secured in a safe place, separate from each other. It is your responsibility to prevent children and unauthorized adults from gaining access to firearms or ammunition.

Unload your gun as soon as you are finished. A loaded gun has no place in or near a car, truck or building. Unload your gun immediately when you have finished shooting, well before you bring it into a car, camp or home.

Whenever you handle a firearm or hand it to someone, always open the action immediately, and visually check the chamber, receiver and magazine to be certain they do not contain any ammunition. Always keep actions open when not in use.

Never assume a gun is unloaded -- check for yourself! This is considered a mark of an experienced gun handler!

Never cross a fence, climb a tree or perform any awkward action with a loaded gun. While in the field, there will be times when common sense and the basic rules of firearms safety will require you to unload your gun for maximum safety. Never pull or push a loaded firearm toward yourself or another person. There is never any excuse to carry a loaded gun in a scabbard, a holster not being worn or a gun case. When in doubt, unload your gun!
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    Randy, :chill:, no one is advocating that YOU do something that makes you uncomfortable. You do it your way. Everyone else will do it the way they feel safe. If that is with the gun fully loaded or stripped down in pieces it is up to the individual to see to their well being.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    farm boy wrote: »
    Randy, :chill:,

i think he could be a contributor but he seems to have a fixation on what he calls a "Real Man", whatever that means.

Never cross a fence, climb a tree or perform any awkward action with a loaded gun.

Does that include the 10mm I have in a holster on my hip when hunting?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Should I just start listing all the "awkward" actions I do with a loaded gun on a regular basis? All without "Negligent" discharge, mind you.
    Zee wrote: »
    Should I just start listing all the "awkward" actions I do with a loaded gun on a regular basis? All without "Negligent" discharge, mind you.

Slow dancing with CPJ?
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov