Awesome Things Happen in the Woods

HondoHondo MemberPosts: 320 Member
Awesome things can happen in the woods.
On our lease 3 deer were taken this past opening weekend of Black Powder. All by first time hunters 15yoa and younger!!!
1) A 9 year old with leukemia. He asked the man running the lease if he would take him out opening morning for his first hunt. The man is my friend and has a heart of gold. He was honored to do this and had the boys parents permission. The boy was VERY patient and sat quietly on my friends knee. The little 3 pointer stepped out about 60 yards and the boy placed the shot perfectly with a .50 CVA. We all did our best to keep our emotions in check.....not very well I might add. His dad is having it mounted for him. The rifle belongs to my friends wife who has taken several large deer with it. She is going to clean it and present it to this little boy in 2 weeks as a surprise. It will be placed on a rack made from the deer's hooves.

2} A little 11 yr old boy, this first boy had befriended in camp, got a spike on Sunday morning sitting with his dad.

3} A 15 yr old young man got a nice 8 point Sunday evening.

We have 3 wonderful, polite, youngsters we can add to our hunting fraternity.

My brother made his first hunt this weekend as well. He is a 58 yr old with disabilities. He wanted to take a hog. Well, he got buck fever as his first pack of five 200 pounders came out and slap whiffed. He is an excellent shot but got caught up in the excitement. He said he is happier that the 3 boys got something, especially the sick young boy, than if he would have taken something. He will get another try in a couple weeks.

Awesome things happen in the woods!!!

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    Great story! :up:

I had the great pleasure, a couple of years ago, to be on a good hunting lease with my two grandsons, aged 9 and 7 (at the time). Both my SIL and I killed good 9 point bucks, our best ever, at the time. But, our personal 'glory' was completely overshadowed by the experience of being with the boys and teaching them about the whole hunting experience. We all worked together to explore the river bottoms and find the game trails and choose our hunting spots and build our blinds, camped out and cooked over open campfires, each killed our deer with one shot, skinned and quartered them in the field, and then butchered them ourselves and ate them. They loved every step of the process, and so did their father and I.

I personally believe that it was a life-changing experience for the boys - one that they rate above all the silliness that they see going on in their everyday lives. The fact that you and your friends were able to bring this type of experience to those kids is just great - there is really no telling how much benefit they will take from it. Kids remember their early hunting experiences all of their lives, and if you help make that experience productive, they take a lot of important lessons from them. Good job!
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Good on you guys. :up:

Ditto. Years ago Outdoor Life did a survey about, "why do you hunt?". It was multiple choice. Meat, thrill of the chase, etc. I chose, "spending time with family and friends". Turns out that was the overwhelming majority of responses. Taking a kid hunting is like planting a tree.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    Thanks Guys,
    I feel like us adults were the ones truly blessed. It will be one of my fondest memories.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Very nice
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.