125 grain .30-06 loads?

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 10,774 Senior Member
I'm mulling over the idea of developing a .30-06 load for my 12 yo grandson to use in my push-feed Model 70. He loves the rifle, has seen me kill three deer with it, and I think I need to give him a rifle because I am probably going to give his little brother the Model 600 Mohawk I posted about in another thread. He is a big, strong boy, and not recoil-shy at all (so far), but the Model 70 is a bit of a stomper (for a .30-06), and I would hate to give him something that's gonna teach him to flinch.

I'm thinking that a good 125 grain bullet would serve him well for Texas whitetails and feral hogs, and would be fairly mild recoiling. The rifle 'likes' the 165 gr. Nosler BT's I hunt with, and shoots legitimate MOA with them, over RL-22. I would like to use Varget because I have about 15 pounds of it, but there aren't many loads listed. I also have an 8lb. jug of 4895 military surplus that's never been opened, some VihtaVuori n140 that Ive never tried, and some 7828 that I tried in a .25-06 but never found a sweet spot for.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,339 Senior Member
    Started my daughter out with a Browning A-bolt in .308 using the Hornady 130gr SP over IMR 4895 I believe. Good accuracy, and very mild recoil. Never tried them in the 30-06 but suspect they would work.

Sako
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,631 Senior Member
    If he is not recoil shy, I would try him out on some 150's, just back the speed down to minumum and let him burn some powder. Once he gets 50-60 through it on 3-4 range sessions if he isn't flinching, ask him if he is willing to bump it up a little because you would like the bullets to be moving a little faster so that you are a little more comfortable with the bullet preformance on deer. That way he is involved in the prossess and will accept the recoil.

When my son was 12, I put him behind the 06 with 150's and he said it kicked some and didnt like it. Now this is a rifle I had built with a mannlicher stock and a 24" heavy sporter bbl and a 1" rubber butt pad. Amazingly enough, when I found a 25-06 mod 700 and put full speed 100gr bullets in it, it didnt kick at all. Of course, it was HIS so it didnt kick. I shot both, and there isnt a dimes worth of differance in the felt recoil of the heavy 30 cal and the lighter 25 cal. If anything, the 25 was sharper IMHO.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,031 Senior Member
    I don't notice less recoil with .30-06 and factory 125's
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,280 Senior Member
    Hodgdon uses H4895 in their "Youth Data"
    Since you say he's "not recoil shy" instead of using it, I'd probably just download the Varget.
    Hodgdon lists 54.0 as the starting charge of Varget with a 125 Sierra SP.
    Midway has both 125 Nosler BTs and Hornady SSTs in stock.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/741609/nosler-ballistic-tip-hunting-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-125-grain-spitzer-box-of-50
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/844873/hornady-interlock-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-125-grain-sst-flat-base-box-of-100

With the SSTs being cheaper, they'd probably get my vote if I needed some hunting 125gr 30's (I use the 125 NBTs in wife's 308 because I stocked up before Hornady came out with their 125)

I'd probably start around ~48.0-50.0gr of Varget and look for a sweet spot accuracy wise.

Another reason I'd go SST is the flat base. Some rifles seem to prefer them (accuracy wise) over a boattailed one for some reason :uhm:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,856 Senior Member
    I would go the other way, and try a sub sonic load with a heavy bullet, like TimC put together for his .308.

A subsonic load for the 30-06 and 7.62x39 is on my to do list.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    Years ago I used 748 and Hornady 130's for a lite load in the 06, and that is how I got my wife transitioned from 22's to highpower centerfire. That load worked very well on antelope and was good for a bit of prairie dog shooting. So it might also work well for you and the grandson.
    A friend of mine brought his boy up on reduced loads of 4895 and bullets intended for the 30-30, worked well on antelope, deer and elk, so that's another option you may want to pursue.
    Bisley, I just ran the numbers through Quickload. It predicts that 48.0 of Varget behind a 125 SST should give you ~2600fps from a 22" barrel.
    Running it through QuickTarget shows that ~1" high @ 100 will be dead on @ 150 and only -2.7" at 200.

It also predicts your 200 yard velocity to be just under 2100fps, which SHOULD still be well within that bullet's performance window. I've spoken to the folks at Hornady and Nosler and both have told me their 125s will perform down to 1600-1700 fps but 1800+fps is preferred

edited to add: substituting the NBT doesn't change much. it show 0.8" instead of 0.9" high @ 100 and -2.5" instead of the -2.7" at 200 and a whopping 4fps difference in velocity (2630 vs. 2634)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

One other thing, I know Teach, and possibly others, like the 130 Hornady SP "super fast" for deer sized game. It probably does fine at those speeds, but @ 2500-2600 fps MV, I've been disappointed in its terminal performance. So much so that I pulled them from wife's ammo.

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I'm mulling over the idea of developing a .30-06 load for my 12 yo grandson to use in my push-feed Model 70. He loves the rifle, has seen me kill three deer with it, and I think I need to give him a rifle because I am probably going to give his little brother the Model 600 Mohawk I posted about in another thread. He is a big, strong boy, and not recoil-shy at all (so far), but the Model 70 is a bit of a stomper (for a .30-06), and I would hate to give him something that's gonna teach him to flinch.

I'm thinking that a good 125 grain bullet would serve him well for Texas whitetails and feral hogs, and would be fairly mild recoiling. The rifle 'likes' the 165 gr. Nosler BT's I hunt with, and shoots legitimate MOA with them, over RL-22. I would like to use Varget because I have about 15 pounds of it, but there aren't many loads listed. I also have an 8lb. jug of 4895 military surplus that's never been opened, some VihtaVuori n140 that Ive never tried, and some 7828 that I tried in a .25-06 but never found a sweet spot for.

What are your thoughts?

I'm running a 125 grain bullet out of my FN PBR rifle in .308 with 47.5 grains of IMR 4895. This load it a tack driver out of this rifle and will take down anything I want to shoot with it. I imagine with the right twist rate you could get good results out of your 30.06.
    Here is a load you might try for your 30.06 from ammoguide...
    125 IMR-4895 @ 48.0 grains, 2814 muzzle velocity, 2198 ft-lb KE, out of a 24" barrel. This load shows to produce 11.4 ft-lb of free recoil energy on an 8 lb rifle.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,774 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Bisley, I just ran the numbers through Quickload. It predicts that 48.0 of Varget behind a 125 SST should give you ~2600fps from a 22" barrel.
    Running it through QuickTarget shows that ~1" high @ 100 will be dead on @ 150 and only -2.7" at 200.

It also predicts your 200 yard velocity to be just under 2100fps, which SHOULD still be well within that bullet's performance window. I've spoken to the folks at Hornady and Nosler and both have told me their 125s will perform down to 1600-1700 fps but 1800+fps is preferred

edited to add: substituting the NBT doesn't change much. it show 0.8" instead of 0.9" high @ 100 and -2.5" instead of the -2.7" at 200 and a whopping 4fps difference in velocity (2630 vs. 2634)

This is something like what I am looking for. I don't want to turn it into a .30-30 - the boy can handle 2600 fps fine, I think, if it's pushing a smaller bullet. And I like the Hornady SST - I'm using it in my 7mm-08.

Thanks. (And thanks to everybody else who jumped in with an idea.)
    Glad to help :beer:

• jameslaconjameslacon Banned Posts: 1 New Member
    Deleted for spam
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Reported.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Hey, it's been a while since we had a good troll lynching! Grab the pitchforks and torches, and I'll find a feather pillow. Somebody bring the hot tar and a rope, and then let's find a good tree!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite