Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

D.C. Businessman faces two years in prison for unregistered ammunition

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
This is the kind of STUPIDITY coming from Washington, D.C. Nothing but a bunch of jackboot neoNazi thugs doing what jackboot neoNazi thugs do. Read the whole story at the link. I'm still hoping for that rogue asteroid to make that place a big smoking crater.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/23/miller-dc-businessman-faces-two-years-jail-unregis/

Mark Witaschek, a successful financial adviser with no criminal record, is facing two years in prison for possession of unregistered ammunition after D.C. police raided his house looking for guns. Mr. Witaschek has never had a firearm in the city, but he is being prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The trial starts on Nov. 4.

The police banged on the front door of Mr. Witaschek’s Georgetown home at 8:20 p.m. on July 7, 2012, to execute a search warrant for “firearms and ammunition … gun cleaning equipment, holsters, bullet holders and ammunition receipts.”

Mr. Witaschek’s 14-year-old daughter let inside some 30 armed officers in full tactical gear.

D.C. law requires residents to register every firearm with the police, and only registered gun owners can possess ammunition, which includes spent shells and casings. The maximum penalty for violating these laws is a $1,000 fine and a year in jail.

Police based their search on a charge made by Mr. Witaschek’s estranged wife, who had earlier convinced a court clerk to issue a temporary restraining order against her husband for threatening her with a gun, although a judge later found the charge to be without merit.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/23/miller-dc-businessman-faces-two-years-jail-unregis/#ixzz2iYp3Umgx
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
  I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    It's insanity. It's also out of control. Harry Truman once said, "In a free country, we prosecute a man for his crimes, not for his options."

    I guess depending on where you live some animals are more free than others.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Thugs.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,562 Senior Member
    To me, not only should anyone in authority who gave the ok for this ridiculous persecution be removed from their office, but any police officer who followed their orders should be out too. And they should all go to jail.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,414 Senior Member
    I have to steal this quote from one of the bloggers:
    This is what gun control means. It means guns being pointed at you and your family. It means sixteen year olds being dragged out of the shower naked because their father is in unlawful possession of a hunk of inert brass.
    http://www.pagunblog.com/2013/10/23/is-this-what-gun-control-advocates-want/
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    How can any of you act surprised at this? Inert brass or dried bag of plants...there is no difference. The police WILL follow orders.


    COMMENTARY_polices_t750x550.jpg?626c74b6d570df44fd02ecca30244159e005ff34

    http://thetimesweekly.com/news/2013/oct/23/who-will-protect-you-police-rise-government-sancti/
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

    Adam J. McCleod


  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    This is the kind of STUPIDITY coming from Washington, D.C. Nothing but a bunch of jackboot neoNazi thugs doing what jackboot neoNazi thugs do. Read the whole story at the link. I'm still hoping for that rogue asteroid to make that place a big smoking crater.

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/23/miller-dc-businessman-faces-two-years-jail-unregis/

    Mark Witaschek, a successful financial adviser with no criminal record, is facing two years in prison for possession of unregistered ammunition after D.C. police raided his house looking for guns. Mr. Witaschek has never had a firearm in the city, but he is being prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The trial starts on Nov. 4.

    The police banged on the front door of Mr. Witaschek’s Georgetown home at 8:20 p.m. on July 7, 2012, to execute a search warrant for “firearms and ammunition … gun cleaning equipment, holsters, bullet holders and ammunition receipts.”

    Mr. Witaschek’s 14-year-old daughter let inside some 30 armed officers in full tactical gear.

    D.C. law requires residents to register every firearm with the police, and only registered gun owners can possess ammunition, which includes spent shells and casings. The maximum penalty for violating these laws is a $1,000 fine and a year in jail.

    Police based their search on a charge made by Mr. Witaschek’s estranged wife, who had earlier convinced a court clerk to issue a temporary restraining order against her husband for threatening her with a gun, although a judge later found the charge to be without merit.

    Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/23/miller-dc-businessman-faces-two-years-jail-unregis/#ixzz2iYp3Umgx
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
    Police acted on a temporary restraining order issued by a court clerk and not signed by a Judge? Was a search warrant signed by a Judge? In most of the United States of America the police would be in serious trouble. In D.C. they will probably receive commendations.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,541 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    How can any of you act surprised at this? Inert brass or dried bag of plants...there is no difference. The police WILL follow orders.


    COMMENTARY_polices_t750x550.jpg?626c74b6d570df44fd02ecca30244159e005ff34

    http://thetimesweekly.com/news/2013/oct/23/who-will-protect-you-police-rise-government-sancti/

    You know that this puke just got 38K in workmans comp bennies because of emotional distress because he sprayed those people?
    http://news.msn.com/us/cop-who-pepper-sprayed-protesters-awarded-dollar38k?ocid=ansnews11
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    You know that this puke just got 38K in workmans comp bennies because of emotional distress because he sprayed those people?

    Emotional distress because they fired his a$$, not because he calmly sprayed a bunch of people that weren't a threat. Look at his face. He is at peace.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

    Adam J. McCleod


  • JamesAPrattIIIJamesAPrattIII Member Posts: 156 Member
    Sad but true this is the law in DC. The Democratic Peoples Republic of Mass. has a similar law. Ditto Mexico. The silly but sad thing is there is a well to do house complex in DC that was built on the site of a WW I army camp so it looks like there may be some wealthy people in real trouble with the law. The scary thing is if you look at all the areas around DC that were civil war battlefields and campgrounds used by picinicers in the summer time and hunters in the winter time. Some ones kid picks up a fired shell casing and brings it home the whole family could be arrested. I think the people who thought up this law went to law school in Stalin's USSR or Hitler's Germany.

    There is a Nat GEo channel TV show "Diggers" about 2 guys with metal detectors. In one show they went to Mass. and dug up a fired brass shotgun shell. One wonders why they haven't been arrested yet?
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...& "they" wonder why we don't like their "common sense gun control"...
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    When the jackbooted thugs come to take your guns, be sure to give them the ammo first!
    Jerry
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Look at his face. He is at peace.

    Make that same pic B&W with some scratches here and there and no one can tell the difference from Gestapo- Nazi Germany.
    Amazing how many "conservatives" had no problem with that pic because it was "sit in wall streeters" ie: "lefty pinko's" being gassed-- hypocrisy.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Amazing how many "conservatives" had no problem with that pic because it was "sit in wall streeters" ie: "lefty pinko's" being gassed-- hypocrisy.

    Traditionally, the right has always supported the actions of armed government employees. As long as cops only harassed and beat lefties, minorities, and potheads; they are pedestalled as "heroes" and beyond scrutiny. Now that we see them pulling naked 16 year olds out of showers because dad had some empty brass, (and 100's of other JBT examples) some of the right is finally beginning to grasp that police are nothing more than the militarized enforcement arm of a severely corrupt government, and that we are viewed as the enemy.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

    Adam J. McCleod


  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,562 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    How can any of you act surprised at this? Inert brass or dried bag of plants...there is no difference. The police WILL follow orders.

    This is the part that bothers me the most; that a person who calls himself a man would do this without questioning it, or refusing. It reminds me of "A Few Good Men" - Dawson and Downey could have refused to follow orders, but they would have to accept the consequences, which could be severe, but at least Santiago would not have died.
    It makes me wonder: at what point do you really take a step back, look at what you're doing, and say, 'this is not right'?
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Amazing how many "conservatives" had no problem with that pic because it was "sit in wall streeters" ie: "lefty pinko's" being gassed-- hypocrisy.

    How did you arrive at that conclusion?
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Traditionally, the right has always supported the actions of armed government employees. As long as cops only harassed and beat lefties, minorities, and potheads; they are pedestalled as "heroes" and beyond scrutiny. Now that we see them pulling naked 16 year olds out of showers because dad had some empty brass, (and 100's of other JBT examples) some of the right is finally beginning to grasp that police are nothing more than the militarized enforcement arm of a severely corrupt government, and that we are viewed as the enemy.

    I disagree with both your assertion and your conclusion.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    So, what else is new? All I see here is a progressive Democratic city government doing what progressive Democrats do. Inside every liberal is a fascist screaming to get out.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I disagree with both your assertion and your conclusion.

    What else is new? You're the guy that defended Texas State Troopers for cavity searching women ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. Your previous post shows that you agree with my assertion, even though you won't admit it. You're too conditioned to accept my conclusion.

    bisley wrote: »
    Yeah, I happened not to be wearing my 'Daisy Duke' shorts and smoking marijuana that day. :bang:
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

    Adam J. McCleod


  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    The thing that stood out to me is all this was precipitated by his ex-wife or soon to be ex-wife tattling on him (possibly even planting things). Seems she wasn't very happy about the new girlfriend mentioned in the story. Spurned lovers are dangerous territory!

    PS this town is freakin insane with this crap! I'm always paranoid when I drive through and always avoid the city limits at all costs when I'm going shooting and am extra careful to keep everything in my shooting bag so as to not end up with a spare piece of spent brass anywhere.
    The biggest problem with accusations and Temporary restraining Orders (TRO)s is if they are requested by a female they will be automatically granted due to the violence against women act. If a man requested a temporary restraining order for domestic violence the ones able to grant it would almost die rolling on the floor laughing their f**king a**es off! I unfortunately was a first hand witness to a TRO. My step Daughter in Law called me late at night and told me she was afraid my Stepson was going to hurt her. I suggested that she call the police and I would be there as soon as possible (20 minutes). When I arrived my Step Son was agitated and accusing her of cheating (later proven to be true). She was sitting in a chair and laughing at him. No violence. I asked her if she had called the police. She replied "no". I took my stepson to the garage to find out what was going on. While we were there she took their 18 month old child and escaped. Two days later she came back without their child to get her stuff. She had her "macho" Brother, huge Cousin, And former Navy SEAL Stepfather. Why? My Stepson told her she could take whatever she wanted. He had a minor pissing contest with her Brother ("If you come to my house I will call the police") Two days later he was served with the TRO. The only thing true was she spelled their names correctly. She said he physically assaulted her (LIE)! She said she called the police (LIE)! She said he could not have visitation as he was a flight risk and had connections in Mexico (he knows no one in Mexico). (LIE)! As he "threatened" to shoot someone (She stated that he threatened to shoot her Brother which did not happen. LIE) he was automatically denied possession of firearms and ammunition. I had to store his guns and ammunition for more than a year. The Judge that signed this TRO is known as a man hater and an IDIOT! I know this first hand when I was a juror and she was a defense attorney. The female filing a TRO has to swear and sign that is the truth. If it is later found to be not the truth they are never held accountable. I think this a travesty of our system of justice!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    What else is new? You're the guy that defended Texas State Troopers for cavity searching women ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. Your previous post shows that you agree with my assertion, even though you won't admit it. You're too conditioned to accept my conclusion.

    And you are the guy who uses leftist tactics to try to 'win' arguments. You present anecdotal evidence as if the exception were actually the rule, and then you tar entire groups of people you know nothing about with a wide brush, citing your tidbits of 'proof' as if it were the norm. You mis-characterize the comments of those you disagree with, so that you can then ridicule them, and therefore avoid having to make an honest argument.
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    How did you arrive at that conclusion?

    Come on Biz, don't be coy. You've read the comments from a few self proclaimed conservative members who, during the peak of the sit-in awhile back, have suggested or insinuated that "strong arm" tactics be used on those who are somehow inferior to ones ideologies and fanciful speculation. What are you suggesting? That everyone who has labeled themselves "conservative" is some sort of ally and united on a specific purpose? I gave up putting political labels on myself not too long ago when I finally realized that both parties are intent on destroying the very Tenets that were originally intended to keep us free.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Come on Biz, don't be coy. You've read the comments from a few self proclaimed conservative members during the peak of the sit-in awhile back.

    I just asked a question, so as to understand your comment about conservatives, which you haven't answered. I'm an old fart who still defends American traditions, wants small government, and prefers conservation to 'saving the planet.' That's still how I see conservatism, and I tend to 'defend the brand' against those who have bought into the pop-culture definition of conservatism and seek out its radicals to use as examples of why it is evil.

    Maybe it's time for me to abandon the conservative label, too. I had to give up the moderate label to describe my political stances, thirty years ago, because that came to mean liberal Republican. Then I quit calling myself a Republican because they won't stand up to the big government party where all the liberals reside...who now call themselves Progressives, but are actually Socialists. I can't call myself a Libertarian, because I'm still not quite ready to live in a bunker, and Independent has come to mean the fence-sitters who vote their pocket book and don't give a damn about any issue that doesn't directly affect them, personally.

    Any suggestions? I really need a label.

    EDIT: You have edited your post since I wrote this response, so I'm not quite sure what your point really is.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Any suggestions? I really need a label.

    Deputy leader of the Pedant party?:tooth:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »


    Any suggestions? I really need a label.

    You could join me in the "I Hate All the Parties" party. I'm registered Independent because neither party represents me, AT ALL. I fall into the far right of the Libertarian political leanings, and a bit right of the Constitution. Small government, leave me the hell alone and I'll reciprocate kind of thinking. :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    You could join me in the "I Hate All the Parties" party. I'm registered Independent because neither party represents me, AT ALL. I fall into the far right of the Libertarian political leanings, and a bit right of the Constitution. Small government, leave me the hell alone and I'll reciprocate kind of thinking. :tooth:

    That would describe me pretty well, but leaves me with nobody to vote for but 'none of the above' which doesn't yet appear on ballots.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,541 Senior Member
    Come on Biz, don't be coy. You've read the comments from a few self proclaimed conservative members who, during the peak of the sit-in awhile back, have suggested or insinuated that "strong arm" tactics be used on those who are somehow inferior to ones ideologies and fanciful speculation.

    Wrong. I don't want to use strong arm tactics because of their ideology, I want to use strong arm tactics when a group of losers trespasses into a area, making it a drug and rape nest in the middle of a populated area, bringing rats and vermin (more than those who brought tents) and are celebrated by the lefties. You are darn skippy that at 3AM @-4 degrees I would turn the hose on the commune.

    After they were in handcuffs, I wouldn't spray them.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    Deputy leader of the Pedant party?:tooth:

    Actually, I'm torn between the Pedants and the Anachronists. :jester:

    I find myself trapped in the wrong era, and won't quit preaching about it. :silly:
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    You could join me in the "I Hate All the Parties" party. I'm registered Independent because neither party represents me, AT ALL. I fall into the far right of the Libertarian political leanings, and a bit right of the Constitution. Small government, leave me the hell alone and I'll reciprocate kind of thinking. :tooth:

    Agree.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement