Beretta 96A1 opinions/experiences

CurlsCurls MemberPosts: 44 Member
Hey guys been a while, I looked around and could not find any one talking about this firearm so I wanted to ask about it. So I am looking for a handgun just to have and I'm a huge beretta fan and I really like the 40S&W bullet. So I'm really into the beretta 96A1 model# J9A4F10. Any way I have herd some bad stuff about its feeding, reliability and people have said it does not last that long.
So I wanted to find out if from you guys if there was any problumes with it that you guys have had and or if it was a good gun accurcy and reliability wise ?

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    I broke 2 of them. One cracked frame and the other I believe a cracked slide. Other than that, they ran like a champ...............for about 70 rounds or so. Then, the slide slowed down to a snails pace such as I'd have to tap it into battery. Regardless the lube used. Though, I never did get around to using greased owl .............poop. That might have worked.

I was was a happy camper when that final gun went by-by.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    If you have a boat and are in need of an anchor................there's always a Beretta.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    I dunno anything about the 96 series....But I do know after years of extensive use of the 92 series, I have nothing positive to say about beretta pistols. Nothing. I don't even think they make good paper weights. Heck even The Italians I know aren't fans of them...Didn't have to many kind words to say about the rifles either....But their Shotguns....Their Shotguns are the ferraris of the Shotgun world...
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    No on the 96. My old room mate got one cause he was a Helo Medic and familiar with the 92 as I was. I was also a unit armorer in a tank battalion.

It'll work for awhile, but the only difference between a 92 and a 96 is the barrel/mags......the 92 doesn't survive the pressures of the .40 S&W over a short time.

It's amazingly accurate, which it should be considering the front sight is fixed and only drift adjustable on the rear. Putting night sights on a 92/96 is a trip to the gunsmith.

THEN there's the inner workings in the receiver......springs that take off like a covey of Quail, things that break because they're too small for the job of being DA/SA.......Bigslug is not a fan, and neither am I.

I would go with a CZ instead. While you're at it, make it a CZ 97 .45acp........it's the same feel of a Beretta, I've got one, and it's fantastic.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,002 Senior Member
    I've been told that if you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all. So, without further adieu, here's my take on the Beretta 92/96 platform:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,159 Senior Member
    It's a bigass pistol. I don't have anything good or bad to say except it's hellaciously big. Personally, I'd go with a Glock which as a VERY proven record and is a lot smaller (23, I mean) but I wouldn't want to carry a gun that large unless it was a 1911. For me a 9mm suffices and comes in a much smaller package.

I like Berettas in shotguns, not so much in pistols. But I've spoken to those who love them. In 9mm.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,656 Senior Member
    I sure likes mine.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    It's a bigass pistol. I don't have anything good or bad to say except it's hellaciously big.

What's a service size semi-auto pistol supposed to be? Glocks get beat down for ergonomics........that's why S&W shines.

I'm 5' 10" and 190 lbs trim........my hands are size 9/medium, I never felt the 92 to be "big", but I was married to the thing.....litteraly.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!