Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Sandy Hook Elementary Demolition Started

sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior MemberPosts: 1,933 Senior Member
My first thought when I saw this (MSNBC the lack of news network) was more "anti-gunner " grandstanding. My second thought was No! The antis would want this to stand forever as a monument of the evil gun! After getting some actual information I understood that the still grieving people of Newtown were being inundated by gawkers, photographers, and souvenir hunters. I can understand why this would happen at the former Berlin wall. Although it suffered it's own tragedies it is a part of world history which ended-up being a victory for freedom. Not so when a mentally deranged individual murders innocent children and others. A tasteful monument/memorial at the new school might be appropriate. The school is over 60 years old and may have been scheduled for replacement in the near future. I could not find this information. This is the latest news article I could find.

Sandy Hook Elementary being razed to the ground under guard so ghouls don't steal 'souvenirs' to sell on Ebay
By Daily Mail Reporter, Reuters Reporter and Associated Press Reporter
PUBLISHED: 15:50 EST, 25 October 2013 | UPDATED: 16:47 EST, 25 October 2013
The demolition of Sandy Hook Elementary School, Connecticut, where 20 young children and six adults were shot dead last December, began on Friday.
The operation took place under a cloak of secrecy and security to discourage ghoulish souvenir-hunters. Officials hope it will be completely dismantled by the one-year anniversary of the attack.
The town has required the workers handling the tear down of the building to sign agreements banning them from discussing any aspect of the work as Newtown officials attempt to fade out of the media spotlight that hit the commuter suburb after the December 14 attack.

Replies

• 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Sometimes a bad memory needs to be wiped away......they did the same with Columbine. The hilltop on Clement's Park where the guy planted the crosses is now an established memorial, and I used to visit it a lot when it was the day to work on the library close by. Columbine HS got a complete make over on the library and cafeteria sections, where most of the shootings happened.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,089 Senior Member
    Wonder where the money to do this is coming from? Connecticut is this close to financial ruin thanks to Dannel Malloy and the Democrats running the place...

I can see if the building was truly in risk of collapse/out of code/uninhabitable or otherwise, then by all means rebuild it.

If it's just a "feel good" move to try and alleviate bad memories, then no, I don't think it's either cost effective or justifiable. The old saying, "Throwing the baby out with the bath water" applies here if you ask me.
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    GunnerK19 wrote: »
    Wonder where the money to do this is coming from? Connecticut is this close to financial ruin thanks to Dannel Malloy and the Democrats running the place...

I can see if the building was truly in risk of collapse/out of code/uninhabitable or otherwise, then by all means rebuild it.

If it's just a "feel good" move to try and alleviate bad memories, then no, I don't think it's either cost effective or justifiable. The old saying, "Throwing the baby out with the bath water" applies here if you ask me.
    $49.3 million state grant. I guess Connecticut uses the same logic as the USA. If you are hopelessly in debt, spend a lot more!
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    GunnerK19 wrote: »

Agreed! Should we rebuild EVERY structure that these insane acts happen in? We will be building alot of new malls, schools, movie theatres...etc
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Sounds like a dumb idea to me. It would make a LOT more sense to sell the building and grounds for some type of office space or light industry than to just demolish it. Their (taxpayers) money to waste, though.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Government by emotion.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,304 Senior Member
    No different than what the Amish did following the West Nickle Mines school shooting back in 2006 in Pennsylvania...the building was torn down within a week of the shooting and another school rebuilt on another site. Sandy Hook is just a larger scale version of the same thing...considering what happened in that building, it will always be stained...better to tear it down and be done with it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"