Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Schoolchildren injured by accidental discharge of police officer's rifle

sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior MemberPosts: 1,933 Senior Member
Wednesday, a child at a Southern California elementary school pulled the trigger of a police rifle, firing a bullet that shattered and created shrapnel that injured three youngsters, authorities said.

The AR-15 was locked to the side of a motorcycle that was on display at Newman Elementary School during an anti-drug program when a student managed to fire it, Chino police spokeswoman Tamrin Olden said.

The children were treated for cuts and scrapes, said Fire Department spokeswoman Massiel Ladron De Guevara. The weapons mount holding the rifle had several fail-safes, including the metal plate, Olden said.

There was no immediate word on whether a police officer was nearby when the accidental discharge occurred. Rifles have been removed from other police motorcycles while the shooting is investigated, Olden said at a news conference.

! Why in the hell would a firearm on a police officer's motorcycle which was on static display at an elementary school be loaded??? "The weapons mount holding the rifle had several fail-safes, including the metal plate". Several fail-safes? Obviously not! What exactly were these? The only fail-safe would have been no ammunition! Never underestimate what a child is capable of. "Child proof" caps on medicine bottles? I call them "Adult proof, Child resistant". When my Grandson was less than a year old he retrieved a bottle of over the counter allergy pills from my bag. They had a "child proof" cap. He was shaking it like a rattle. How cute. He then clamped the bottle between his feet, pushed and twisted. The cap flew across the room! This LEO obviously needs intensive re-training.

Replies

• agewonagewon Senior Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Now California will want to ban Police firearms as well.
    All joking aside, this was gross negligence!! Of all the police vehicles available for display, the last I would recommend would be a bike. Kids are notoriously pushy and excited, and all it would take is one good knock to send that thing over on another kid crushing him.
    And having a loaded weapon on a display vehicle is as dumb as leaving the keys in the showroom car. There will always be that person who has the .01% cloud hovering over them.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    These types of things just reinforce that when you're talking about guns it only takes a split second of inattentiveness, carelessness or stupidity to have the worst happen.
    And when you're talking about kids and guns there's just no such thing as too safe.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    HMMMM. In the last few months we've read of several police officers' loaded handguns going off in schools and training classes, and now a rifle. It is apparent that armed officers should not be allowed on school grounds - better we just arm willing teachers, administrators, cooks and janitors. It can't get any worse. The school that told the cop not to pick up his daughter while armed and in uniform (about a month or so ago?) looks more rational all the time.

Is the training LEOs receive in the law, policies and procedures so intense that there's no time left for firearms safety?
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    Having looked at several styles of these racks, I've seen versions that would allow pressing of the trigger of an AR, but not running the charging handle. I've seen another that might allow running the charging handle, but pretty effectively encapsulates everything else - yes I COULD pull the trigger on it, but it would take some doing.

The racks for pump shotguns typically clamshell between the forend and the receiver, preventing the action from being run.

The trick with these things is to travel about with an empty chamber. Pretty obviously not the case here.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,558 Senior Member
    If that police officer's rifle had a manual safety, this sort of thing wouldn't happen...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    These types of things just reinforce that when you're talking about guns it only takes a split second of inattentiveness, carelessness or stupidity to have the worst happen.
    And when you're talking about kids and guns there's just no such thing as too safe.

This is the real point of the story here, excellent point. Not some idiot cop who had a loaded rifle when the damn thing was on display, that's stupid enough.

But what we need to take away from this is a bit of reminder for all of us, to always doublecheck and ensure safety with firearms. Simple rules are the best, and keeping those rules foremost is a real necessity.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    We know.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    We know.

Yes, but it bears repeated repeating. Repeatedly if necessary.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Yes, but it bears repeated repeating. Repeatedly if necessary.
    Since we are repeating I will repeat. There was no reason for the AR to be loaded when it was a static display at an elementary school! The magazine should have been removed and secured on the officer's body or locked in a storage compartment of his motorcycle. The AR also should have been "cleared" to insure a round was not in the chamber. I am still curious about the multiple "fail-safes" when the only 100% fail-safe required was no ammunition!!!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,525 Senior Member
    Just a thought, how many police school shootings have we had in the last 7 years?????
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    Just a thought, how many police school shootings have we had in the last 7 years?????

I don't know specific numbers, but my guess would be somewhere in the neighborhood of too many.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin