bullet testing media

ddrillerddriller MemberPosts: 77 Member
Trying to find a way to test bullet performance-ballistic gelatin is out of the question, need something simple. The goal is to duplicate performance on Eastern Whitetails or establish a standard-When Rem Copper solid slugs first came out they were too hard and just punched through the deer, also the 444 Marlin and 41 Mag got off to bad starts due to poor bullet performance. How does wet newsprint rate-its easily available and I have heard of it being used as a test media before? Water jugs can make a mess and would have to haul a lot of them to the range.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,627 Senior Member
    There's no substitute for live targets.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,230 Senior Member
    I have used water jugs before. They work. The next time I hunt water jugs, I will know exactly how the bullets will perform. Other than getting water everywhere, they aren't that much trouble at the range. There might be some plastic shrapnel laying around, but the jugs generally stay together.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,762 Senior Member
    When I tested some Federal HST 230gr. .45apc, I used folded newspaper, tightly packed into plastic shopping bags. I soaked the bags overnight. The bullets came out looking just like the photos of bullets fired into ballistic gel. They penetrated half the depth of the reported results for ballistic gel.

hsta.jpg

He, who shall not be named, asked if he could use my range report in a online article.

http://archives.gunsandammo.com/node/4244/gallery?photo=2
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Well soaked newsprint is the best substitute, but, the logistics are a problem; IE, heavy, could need a lot, and really messy when you clean up.
    Then you have a heavy wet mess to dispose of.

I just shoot mag bundles and do it the same each time----all it results in is a comparison of how different bullets or cartridges function
    with mag bundles. Meaningful for me , but, nobody else.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,866 Senior Member
    I've done quite a bit of bullet testing into soaked newspaper. It's cheap and easy. How does it compare to living tissue? I haven't a clue. I use it because it allows me to test a "known" bullet against an "unknown".
    My opinion is, if the "unknown" compares "this way" to the "known" in one media, (penetrates more/less, expands more/less) it stands to reason it'll do the same in most medias.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.