Which of your current firearms would you choose.....

2»

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,447 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Are you saying this has to be accomplished with no scope adjustment or holdover?
    Nope, not saying that at all.

I AM saying that with most chamberings, it WILL take either some scope adjustment or some hold over even with a 200 yard zero
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    This one.

Sako 85 6.5x55 with the PM11 and either 140 or 123gr amax, both would do for first rd hit.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 21,262 Senior Member
    ojr wrote: »
    This one.

Sako 85 6.5x55 with the PM11 and either 140 or 123gr amax, both would do for first rd hit.

Envy.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,028 Senior Member
    I have a Ruger 77Mk11 in .220 Swift that I'd be really disappointed in if it didn't hit it in the first shot. It shoots 55 gr Nosler ballistic tips very nicely.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I could do that 300 yard shot(s) with my Ruger Ranch Rifle and a 30 round mag..............make'm dance and keep their heads down and probably hit'em eventually. :guns::guns::tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,165 Senior Member
    6" target @ 300 yards = 2 M.O.A. (mas 'a mino) The "10" ring on a 300 yard High Power target. (not F-class) is 7"

Armalite AR-15, 223R, 69 or 77 grain Nosler Custom Comp.

or

Palma rifle 308W, 155 gn Sierra MK

Prone position with either of these should work quite nicely.

Of course there are several others available, but I'm more comfortable with these two. Already got 300 yd zero for both.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Chip shot for my .308. Double that range, and it would probably be a challenge.... for me... not the rifle.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    DPMS LR308 24" heavy barrel. American Eagle 168gr OTM.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,660 Senior Member
    The only one that I have 300 actually dialed in with is the 03Afaux. and I am game. But I think if it absolutely has to have a hole in it right now, the #1V 22-250

Actually, anything except the flintlocks or the 30-30.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,733 Senior Member
    Weatherby Vanguard .308 180gr S&B fmj.

Redfield Revolution 4x12x40 acurange scope.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,121 Senior Member
    Like that GLASS!
    ojr wrote: »
    This one.

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 10,025 Senior Member
    Right now, I would have to go with the DPMS AR-10.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,470 Senior Member
    I'm out of luck. All I have readily available is a handgun. An actual, pistol caliber handgun, not a rifle lacking a buttstock.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    My only rifle is in storage, so at home, I'm stuck with a S&W M&P .40. My holdover should be somwhere between "You gotta be kidding me" and "Second star to the right, and on till morning."
    But give me 30 minutes or so, and I'd go get my Remington 700 in .270 with a cheap Tasco (I think) scope. It was sighted in at 100 yards, last time I fired it several years ago. I'd be strictly guessing on holdover since I've never shot at that range with it.
    But with the mighty mighty .270, just getting within 5-10 feet of the target would blow it apart, so perfect accuracy isn't needed.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    None. Can't even see that far.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,660 Senior Member
    I'm out of luck. All I have readily available is a handgun. An actual, pistol caliber handgun, not a rifle lacking a buttstock.
    Thought you had a 03. With young eyes and that fine blade, dont sell yourself short. 10 ring on a 300 yd is 7, same as a 200, the black just goes out another ring so that the sight picture is the same for 200 and 300.
    I was ringing a 18 in steel at 600 with the 03A3 and my eyes are about 30 years older than yours.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • stepmacstepmac Member Posts: 172 Member
    I'd use my Winchester Pre-64 .270. Piece of cake. Actually an easy shot using a scope....tricky with the open sights.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,121 Senior Member
    2 MOA @ 300 yards should be doable with almost any rifle that is scoped
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,530 Senior Member
    M70 3006 Leupold VXII

With any of my handloads.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,470 Senior Member
    Thought you had a 03. With young eyes and that fine blade, dont sell yourself short. 10 ring on a 300 yd is 7, same as a 200, the black just goes out another ring so that the sight picture is the same for 200 and 300.
    I was ringing a 18 in steel at 600 with the 03A3 and my eyes are about 30 years older than yours.

Sure do, it's about 1200 miles away :tooth:

When I moved I wasn't sure what my housing situation was going to be, so I only brought my carry gun.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,036 Senior Member
    I have several rifles capable of this. Starting from the top,

.300 Weatherby Mark V Laser Mark with 26 inch factory barrel shooting a 180 grain Sierra Game King at about 3150 FPS. and 6 inch hold over,
    Savage Model 110 7mm Remington Mag. with 24 inch factory barrel pushing a 150 grain Spire point Hornady Interlock Bullet at 3100 fps with 6 inch hold ove
    A .270 Win. Model 70 with 22 inch factory barrel pushing a 130 grain Sierra Game King bullet at 3050-3100 FPS with about 7 inches holdover,
    .280 Remington Mauser Custom with 26 inch Shaw Heavy Sporter Barrel pushing a 150 grain Nosler Ballistics Tip bullet at 2950-3000 FPS with 7 inches hold over,
    Remington 700 SPS 30-06 with standard 24 inch barrel pushing a 200 grain Sierra Game King bullet at 2650 FPS with a 9 inch holdover.
    Any of these will do this and very well. I have more rifles that will do this, and do it well also. But these are the ones I would be most likely choose for this scenario.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • stepmacstepmac Member Posts: 172 Member
    With open sights on my .270 Win model 70 I'd hold one bead width high at that range and be pretty close.
  • WheresMyGunWheresMyGun Member Posts: 139 Member
    I keep the zero on my rem 700 at 200yds................... with a 180gr sierra and know the hold for 300 ....................... pretty boring i'm sure ....... but you asked
  • WheresMyGunWheresMyGun Member Posts: 139 Member
    oh ..forgot ................. that would be an '06
    ................ as if....... anyone would have a rem 700 in anything other
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,447 Senior Member
    oh ..forgot ................. that would be an '06
    ................ as if....... anyone would have a rem 700 in anything other
    Wow, 3 posts within a week :beer:

You back for good?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    Got to jump in with the "any of my rifles" crowd.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    I've got four that will do that easily, with factory ammo. One scoped .300 winmag, one peep-sight .30'-06 and both the long and short AR-15s on standard military 300 M zero. 300 yrds is a chip shot in Colorado, I zero my 30's for 250 yrds.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • AdrianAdrian Member Posts: 65 Member
    Believe it or not it would be my Weatherby Vanguard .30-06 that I "customized" by bolting it into a Boyd's laminate stock. Didn't even bed it. I have plenty of my favorite hand load with the 150gr Nosler BT on hand, so ammo is no problem. Why that one? Half inch groups at 100 yards from a solid rest every time with that load. It wears a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40
  • black-gun-haterblack-gun-hater New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    .....if you REALLY needed to hit a 6" target ~ 300 yards away with the first shot right now & why that one?

I'm not asking for what you'd prefer, some dream rifle you want, or "the _____ I used to have" This is what you have available to you at this moment with ammo you currently have on hand.
    No ammo for your "favorite"? I hope you've got good arms, that's a LONG way to throw something, especially something as big as a rifle. (Translated, no ammo = not an option)

For me, it'd probably be my 30-06 with the 208 A-max loads that are in the carrier on the stock.
    Why? Because I know that that particular load shoots to within ~1" of the Balisti-plex reticle on it out to 500 yards. Put the 300 yard hash on the target and it should be a done deal.

So, how about you?

Edited to add: and if you're wondering why the 6" target at the approx 300 yard distance, it's because that's far enough away and small enough that most cartridges, with a 100 yard zero, won't hit it without either a scope adjustment or some hold over.

I have an old Model 99 250-3000 savage, and that shot would be a cake walk for it with an 87 or 100 grain bullet