Scales...Frankford Arsenal? Hornady?

centermass556centermass556 Senior MemberPosts: 3,509 Senior Member
I am about to get a scale. The Frankford Arsenal seems to have good reviews, but complaints about it being .1 off here and there...What are y'alls thoughts on scales.

Have I asked this question?
"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Get one of the dope dealers' electronic scales on Ebay for about 12 bucks- - - -lots of us are using them with great results. No point in paying through the nose just because it says "reloading scale" on the box!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,692 Senior Member

Yep, and I answered it, too. I'll try again.

.1 grains is nothing. The velocity changes due to a .1 +/- variance in charge weight will normally be well within the ES of 99% of the loads you can dream up, and way lower than the error rate of your average civilian grade chrono.

The only time I'd give a second thought to .1 grains is if I was pushing the upper ragged edge on a .20 cal or smaller. And I mean really ragged edge.

In a hunting chambering (including varmint rigs), .1 is less than a needle in a haystack.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,018 Senior Member

Yes, and I am pretty sure I replied to it as well.
    MOST scales have a +/- and most of the "reloading" scales I've seen have had a 0.1gr +/- until you get into some of the REALLY high end models. keep in mind, 0.1gr of something as small as a 10.0gr load is ONE whole percent, not enough to worry about 99.99% of the time
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,509 Senior Member
    I've gotta start writing stuff down...My mind has been slipping lately.

Thanks for the patience. Paul, I will be giving you a call soon..Almost all set up.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,018 Senior Member

Thanks for the patience. Paul, I will be giving you a call soon..Almost all set up.
    No worries, and the thread seems to have gone "poof" :uhm: Look forward to hearing from you and hope we can get you up and running :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    I will reply again... Either go cheap or take the plunge and buy a Charge Master. There isn't much to gain going middle of the road over the cheap ones. I actually have both the Frankford and a Charge Master. The Frankford goes great for a portable setup with my Lee hand press. The Charge Master stays on my bench.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Watch some YouTube videos on reloading (not nekkid girls unless they are reloading,.. wow what a an upstroke she had on the press:jester:) and from Lee/other makers how to stuff.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!