Home Main Category Clubhouse

Chips and dip- - - - -with a difference!

TeachTeach Senior MemberDellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
While I was shopping a few days ago I saw a display of mangoes at the produce department at Wally World. Now, I'm here to say that store-bought mango isn't nearly as good as the tree-ripe ones Big Dan brings to the SE Shoot! Like any other fresh-picked ripe fruit, the stuff that ends up on the store shelf is a poor second!

I ended up using one of the mangoes I bought in a salsa recipie, and the stuff is fantastic! Here it is, and with a bowl of tortillia chips and a big glass of sweet tea- - - - -good eats!

Mango_salsa_002.JPG

Ingredients
1/2 whole Pineapple, Peeled And Diced
1 whole Mango, Diced
1/2 whole Medium Red Onion, Finely Diced
1 whole Jalapeno, Seeded And Diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
1 whole Lime, Juiced (I used Realemon bottled lemon juice, 1/2 tablespoon)
Dash Kosher Salt
Dash Granulated Sugar (optional)
1 teaspoon Fruit Fresh powder to keep the mango from going dark

Preparation Instructions

Combine diced pineapple, mango, red onion, jalapeno, bell pepper, and cilantro. Squeeze in lime juice and add salt and sugar if needed. Stir to combine.

It's great when freshly-prepared, but chill it in the fridge overnight and the flavors really come to life.

Jerry

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    That will cause me to have the two step.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,566 Senior Member
    Wife grows pineapples in the back yard and a couple are getting close to ready.
    Plan to give your recipe a try soon
    Thanks!!
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    FWIW mangoes freeze EXTREMELY well. Next time I bring some to the shoot, don't let the buzzards take them all. I peel and freeze 20 lbs of mangoes in a season and when thawed they are like fresh...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Sovereign SCPosts: 5,463 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Ron, put some pineapple in a blender with some garlic and habanero pepper. Blend and eat.

Add a few strips of cooked and well patted down bacon.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,566 Senior Member
    Add a few strips of cooked and well patted down bacon.

Cant go wrong with BACON

will give that a try thanks!
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I've also got the ingredients for bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers. They're called "Atomic Buffalo Turds". Fry half a pound of medium-hot sausage to crispy crumbles, drain well, and mix it with a brick of room temperature cream cheese and 1/2 cup of finely shredded Cheddar cheese. Split and scoop the seeds out of a bunch of 3" long fresh Jalapenos, fill with the sausage/cheese mix, wrap each pepper half in 1/2 strip of bacon, pin the bacon into place with a toothpick and cook in a 350-degree oven until the bacon is crisp. It's best if you cook the peppers on a wire rack above a paper towel on a cookie sheet to absorb the grease drips. Enjoy!
    Jerry
    Jerry your atomic buffalo Ts sound fantastic
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,078 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Teach and rest of you guys. Sprinkle some of this tuff on mangoes, bananas, pineapple and other fruits and you'll never eat plain fruit again. You can also add to ketchup to add flavor and spice and it rocks on fruit salsas. I now use this stuff all the time with all types of foods. It's GREAT on the rim of margarita glasses. Some Mexican friends turned me on to this stuff last time I was south of the border and now I won't have a kitchen without it. You can buy it on Amazon.

large%20TAJIN%20CLASICO%20POLVO%20US.jpg

That stuff is freaking fantastic.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Mangoes. Blech... Pig slop.
    Removing it from the cob does nothing. It's still corn.

Your face = meh.
    Nobody takes foodie advice from someone that puts sugar in grits and corn bread, and none in tea.

At least you're handsome.