Home Main Category Clubhouse

Another Landmark Halloween....

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorManistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,292 Senior Member
Today, 4 years ago at 1030 hrs....I parted company with the Department of Defense after 37 years....one of the best moves I ever made.

One parting gift my co-workers gave me that I treasure was the flag that was flying at our facility on 9-11...
Another was the very last Challenge Coin from the 110th Tactical Fighter Wing (A-10s) before they transitioned to trash haulers. I was quite moved by that one as well...
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,695 Senior Member
    Some good things to be proud of!!
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,912 Senior Member
    It doesn't seem like 4 years ago. It's good that you are still glad you made the move.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Today, 4 years ago at 1030 hrs....I parted company with the Department of Defense after 37 years....one of the best moves I ever made.

One parting gift my co-workers gave me that I treasure was the flag that was flying at our facility on 9-11...
    Another was the very last Challenge Coin from the 110th Tactical Fighter Wing (A-10s) before they transitioned to trash haulers. I was quite moved by that one as well...
    I'm missing something.. you were stationed in Battle Creek?
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,579 Senior Member
    That is neat...I still don't know how I am going to survive after retirement. thinking about civilian life is scary
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    Where was the 110th?? Was that a reserve unit??
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,292 Senior Member
    JLDickmon wrote: »
    I'm missing something.. you were stationed in Battle Creek?

Yes...I lived in that pest hole for far too long, I was the Emergency Services Officer at the BC Federal Center. Had a long, close working relationship with the guys at the 110th...
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Where was the 110th?? Was that a reserve unit??

Michigan Air National Guard, based at Kellogg Airport, Battle Creek MI...when they changed the mission they moved the A-10s to Selfridge ANG Base over by Detroit. I have no idea where they are now..

Here's a pic of one of Battle Creeks "Hogs" that picked up some battle damage

Aircraft-2576jpg_A10_battle_damage_display_zps0b8c76d9.jpg

a10battledamage_zps605439f2.jpg
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,292 Senior Member
    That is neat...I still don't know how I am going to survive after retirement. thinking about civilian life is scary

We can always use help out at the refuge...:jester: Seriously, you're going to find that you have lots of time to do the things you love.
    They flew A-10's out of Madison for a long time. I didn't mind working on them, plane was to high to hit your head on anything!!