Home Main Category Personal Defense

9 silly meter for SD

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,203 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    The other thing is "silly meter" denegrates everyone who owns one or carries one. It's an offensive term, like "40 Short and Weak."

I was crushed flatter than a peanut shell on the dance floor.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,029 Senior Member
    Nor does goose stopping ability. Not all MPs were used strictly for shooting prisoners.

"Well, given the fact that that round has killed more humans than all other rounds put together"

Killing defenseless folks sure did add to the count though, didn't it?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    The other thing is "silly meter" denegrates everyone who owns one or carries one. It's an offensive term, like "40 Short and Weak." Same mentality, or lack thereof, from both sources.

When did you get so sensitive?
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,825 Senior Member
    Not sensitive, and I'm not a fan of the 9mm as much as you might think. It's fine. I just don't like folks throwing off on the choices of others, unless it's an M 14.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    PT-92 = 5" barrel

I shot a goose with a broken wing with 9mm and it took 5 shots in the body to kill it, so, maybe that is an issue for me in respect to 9 silly meter.

Did you ever think it's possible you might have only hit it once out of the 5 shots?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,780 Senior Member
    .40S&W, .40 short & weak, 10mm short, or 10mm
    who cares, I shoot them all in mixed or unmixed clips in the same handgun.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    .40S&W, .40 short & weak, 10mm short, or 10mm
    who cares, I shoot them all in mixed or unmixed clips in the same handgun.

CLIPS?!?!?!?!?!!?!? DID YOU REALLY SAY CLIPS?!?!?!!?!?

BLASPHEMY!!!! :jester:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    Not sensitive, and I'm not a fan of the 9mm as much as you might think. It's fine. I just don't like folks throwing off on the choices of others, unless it's an M 14.

Whew! For a minute there I thought you had been to a diversity class or something...
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,302 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »

And for the handgun in question he used the correct terminology :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Gene L teaches those artsy fartsy sensitivity training classes..... :jester:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Yeah, as Paul said, but, was nice enough not to say; I set you up because
    it is fun.

:rotflmao:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,444 Senior Member
    it is fun.

I see a bad moon clip a rising,
    I see trouble on the way. :roll2:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,006 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Whew! For a minute there I thought you had been to a diversity class or something...

I took one of them Diversity classes once, that and a special episode of Walker Texas Ranger changed my life............:hug:
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    it is fun.

:bang: NO! No! I can't believe I fell for that.

:punch: Ok, back to school I go.....
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,302 Senior Member
    :bang: NO! No! I can't believe I fell for that.

:punch: Ok, back to school I go.....
    Not everyone thinks about a 610 using moon clips. :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I see a bad moon clip a rising,
    I see trouble on the way. :roll2:

:spittingcoffee:
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Spk wrote: »
    I took one of them Diversity classes once, that and a special episode of Walker Texas Ranger changed my life............:hug:

:spittingcoffee: I have had a great morning reading a couple of threads. You guys are a hoot. "that and a special episode of Walker Texas Ranger" :yesno: :rotflmao:
    The other thing is "silly meter" denegrates everyone who owns one or carries one. It's an offensive term, like "40 Short and Weak." Same mentality, or lack thereof, from both sources.

I guess I missed the point the first time around that I was getting a sensitivity lecture. I WISH TO APPOLOGIZE TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS for my lack of compassion in the case of the 9mm and it's intended use. I will go test the ammo again as penance.
    But, I'm the wrong guy for such training, after all I shoot .327 FM and don't go hide under the bed after I do.
    Ok, I went out after giving the ammo a pep talk centering on leadership and consideration of the greater good.

The ammo performed extremely well, it penetrated an inch and a half of paper:

9mm.jpg 98.3K
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,345 Senior Member
    It's an offensive term, like "40 Short and Weak."

I much prefer to call it the 10mm Minus P, myself, which is a much less cumbersome way of calling it the "But-I-Already-Had-A-Round-That-Performed-Like-A.45ACP - - -It's-Called-A-.45ACP" cartridge.

And "Sillymeter" is just a mouthful. Why not just call it the FemiNine. . .or would that be the .380?:jester:

Seriously, if you are in the camp of folks who spend lots of time worrying about handgun effectiveness by caliber, you need to realize that ALL handguns pretty much suck as combat implements, and the 9mm will get it done as well as the larger rounds you probably can't shoot as well, but that your ego forces you to carry anyway.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    I see a pink (shrimp) shirt a blazin'
    Good one BGK :roll2:
    I think the owner must be gay
    "imoit:
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I much prefer to call it the 10mm Minus P....

That sounds better than the 10 mm SCC (Special Consideration Cartridge). :jester:
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    9mm, 40SW, 45ACP... biases are based on tradition, upbringing and plain slack-jawed gunshow heehaw.

It's a handgun, not a man-stopper. Shoot them with everything in that gun--then reload. You want more reliable kills, use a rifle.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    This thread seems to boil down to.. "mine's bigger, it's better "

I still say it's not the size that matters, but how you use it.

Clint Smith was once asked at a party by a woman, " I see you brought your gun, are you expecting trouble?"

Clint's response was , " No ma'am, if I was expecting trouble I would have brought my rifle. "

In my experience it's darn hard to carry an AR15 with you everywhere you go, even in pistol form.

Carry what you will shoot, and if need be shoot what you carry, be it .22 LR, 9mm or 45 ACP.

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    My reply would have been: "No ma'am. If I was expecting trouble, I'd have brought a condom."
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    BigDanS wrote: »
    This thread seems to boil down to.. "mine's bigger, it's better "

I still say it's not the size that matters, but how you use it.

D
    I'm not sure that size does not matter because in a lot of handgun ammo power increases with size because of increased powder and bullet weight. What does that mean, it means bigger will handle barriers better.

I'm starting to play with what barrior in the real world will stop common SD bullets. Past playing around has shown 5 inches of paper does it unless it is .44 mag or bigger. But, nobody is going to hide behind 5 inches of paper.

But, what about 6" pine barrior, ie, 3 2x4's? Don't unless the shooter has .32 ammo. Today a.45 acp HP zipped right through like it was not there.

I think next time I'll go back to 9mm and try 6 2x4's and see how that works. I'm thinking 3 will stop the 9mm.
  • Zapp BraniganZapp Branigan Member Posts: 108 Member
    The best 9mm JHP loads today hit right at 400 ft lbs muzzle energy and have a one shot stopping power effectiveness that's as good as any and better than most, and they do it with a minimal amount of muzzle flash/recoil/ear splitting noise.
    To call that innefective or innefficeient is....mistaken.
    It is a GREAT cartridge that only neophytes criticize.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    I've seen the 9mm in use. So, I have no stake in this argument. I'm tainted.
    Make mine a S&W .50 Freudian Magnum as my BUG! :deadhorse:

The best 9mm JHP loads today hit right at 400 ft lbs muzzle energy and have a one shot stopping power effectiveness that's as good as any and better than most, and they do it with a minimal amount of muzzle flash/recoil/ear splitting noise.
    To call that innefective or innefficeient is....mistaken.
    It is a GREAT cartridge that only neophytes criticize.

I know I'm getting rid of my .45s based on this post.....

Dude...you have a habit of insulting folks when you post...probably ought to start using emoticons if you're kidding or think about what you're typing before you hit the "reply" button...