Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Florida .. Wild Gun State per Time Magazine

NCFUBARNCFUBAR Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
According to this Time article you guys in Florida are basically the new wild west ...

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2093725,00.html

Walking down the street with a six shooter strapped on your hip :angry:. They are putting a nasty twist on gun owners everywhere.
“The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
- George Orwell

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Posts: 14,103 Senior Member
    Each day I go home amazed nobody has taken a shot at me.

The author is also incorrect. Open carry is NOT allowed unless hunting or fishing. Public carry is only allowed by LE or by concealed carry permits (nice how he spun that one.)
    Meh.
  • JeeperJeeper Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Typical liberal media bias, full of errors and outright lies, all to support their OPINION.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • blueslide88blueslide88 Posts: 273 Member
    Each day I go home amazed nobody has taken a shot at me.

The author is also incorrect. Open carry is NOT allowed unless hunting or fishing. Public carry is only allowed by LE or by concealed carry permits (nice how he spun that one.)

The article was corrected about open carry, but of course the rest was the usual malarky confusing gun shows with the private sale of firearms between people, which is legal. There are no firearm problems in Florida that I'm aware of. High capacity mags is another false issue. The antis always take ONE questionable incident and blow it way out of proportion. The article also failed to mention that Florida's violent crime rate has continued its downward spiral since 1987 when Florida passed its CCW law.
    I have ambivalent feelings about the doctor law, that one may have been a bad idea. Anyway, guns are not an issue in Florida society except, of course, for a few hard core antis who have lost any semblance of rational thought with the dropping crime rates, and over 850,000 valid carry licenses currently in effect, and growing monthly.
    Incidentally, one can open carry on one's own property (very nice if you've got a few acres, and your own range, also legal) and in/on one's business premises.
    I haven't read Time magazine in many, many years, its been a liberal rag for a long time. I do subscribe to the St. Petersburg Times, Florida's version of the N.Y. Times, but only because it has always published anti-gun letters-to-the-editor and anti-gun editorials, but they often publish my pro-gun letters of rebuttal. I've been doing this for about 10 years now, and their favorite anti letter writer has been neutralized with a steady barrage of strong pro-gun positions. At least I think so.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    It makes me want to vomit, I just don't have words at times to express my disgust with the majority of the media.
    :vomit::hand:
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Funny thing is My PCP in Maryland was pro gun and a hunter !
    And his nurse handed Me forms with questions about drugs and firearms, and I put lines diagonally across the offending pages and wrote "these questions not relevant to patient care" , I told him and he laughed and told Me not to worry about it, those questions were not for Me anyway whatever that meant.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    I canceled my subscription to St Pete times 20 yrs ago, its a Commie/ Progressive Rag.
    The article was corrected about open carry, but of course the rest was the usual malarky confusing gun shows with the private sale of firearms between people, which is legal. There are no firearm problems in Florida that I'm aware of. High capacity mags is another false issue. The antis always take ONE questionable incident and blow it way out of proportion. The article also failed to mention that Florida's violent crime rate has continued its downward spiral since 1987 when Florida passed its CCW law.
    I have ambivalent feelings about the doctor law, that one may have been a bad idea. Anyway, guns are not an issue in Florida society except, of course, for a few hard core antis who have lost any semblance of rational thought with the dropping crime rates, and over 850,000 valid carry licenses currently in effect, and growing monthly.
    Incidentally, one can open carry on one's own property (very nice if you've got a few acres, and your own range, also legal) and in/on one's business premises.
    I haven't read Time magazine in many, many years, its been a liberal rag for a long time. I do subscribe to the St. Petersburg Times, Florida's version of the N.Y. Times, but only because it has always published anti-gun letters-to-the-editor and anti-gun editorials, but they often publish my pro-gun letters of rebuttal. I've been doing this for about 10 years now, and their favorite anti letter writer has been neutralized with a steady barrage of strong pro-gun positions. At least I think so.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    According to this Time article you guys in Florida are basically the new wild west ...

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2093725,00.html

Walking down the street with a six shooter strapped on your hip :angry:. They are putting a nasty twist on gun owners everywhere.

Because the government does so little to interfere with gun ownership, gun-rights proponents have had to look hard for things to complain about.

What a crock of BS that is^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The law is not about preventing the government from interfering with people's right to own and use guns. It is about private doctors asking their patients a question for which they have good medical reasons

Another Crock of BS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:cuss::mad::cuss: Well I read the anti-gun written article what a bunch of BS to the Max..... Its not a doctors business wether or not a patient owns a gun or two. As a matter of fact asking questions like that on Health care forms it just plain wrong... I have seen questions like that on Doctors forms and I just won't answer them. Knowone has ever said anything to me for not answering them.... I know a lot of doctors back in NC who are gun owners and hunters.......
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Funny thing is My PCP in Maryland was pro gun and a hunter !
    And his nurse handed Me forms with questions about drugs and firearms, and I put lines diagonally across the offending pages and wrote "these questions not relevant to patient care" , I told him and he laughed and told Me not to worry about it, those questions were not for Me anyway whatever that meant.

Well we can pretty much tell what he meant by that....if it wasn't for the doctor, and he knows it ..... then its nothing more than data gathering for the US government probably the BTAF Oh wait they know who owns guns.... probably for all the anti-gun lobbist organizations we have here in the USA.....
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Posts: 14,103 Senior Member
    Do you understand doctor-patient confidentiality? Loosen up the tinfoil hat...
    Meh.
  • tennmiketennmike Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    The CDC is the one that has doctors asking that question. There was a pretty big stink when it started around 15+ years ago. I was asked that question around that time. I asked the doctor, "Why do you need to know; do you need to borrow one?" We both had a laugh since we happened to hunt some of the same property during dove season. If you want to know about the CDC program, go to the CDC website and look it up. They think guns are an epidemic that needs a cure.

Edit to add: CDC = Center for Disease Control

Edit #2: If I were stuck in a room and had only Time, Newsweek, and the National Enquirer to read, I'd choose the National Enquirer. The Enquirer reporters have higher journalistic integrity, IMO.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • blueslide88blueslide88 Posts: 273 Member
    The AMA (American Medical Association) has been publicly anti-gun for more than a decade, and is in lock step with the CDC. Let's give full credit where due..........

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rkba-13.html

At least the National Enquirer can be fun. :yikes: