Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Gettysburg Address - War Propaganda from 150 Years Ago

I thought I'd take this opportunity to suggest that Lincoln's Gettysburg Address was a bunch of nonsense.

First off, he said that our fathers gave us a new nation in 1776, but the Declaration of Independence makes it quite clear that there were thirteen new nations, not one.

Then he said the nation was dedicated to the principle that all men are created equal, but those thirteen slave colonies were not declaring racial equality, they were denouncing monarchy, the idea that people are born with saddles and the king with boots and spurs and a divine right to ride.

Then he said that government of/by/for the people shall not perish ... as he fought a war against the right of the citizens of each state to control their own state.

Of course, some people believe it is the greatest speech ever given ... but I hope some other people know better.

Replies

• Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    The Gettysburg Address is a great speech. However, my personal favorite is Theodore Roosevelt's speech at the Sorbonne in Paris, France--- or better known as "The Man in the Arena" speech.
  • Hugh DamrightHugh Damright Member Posts: 169 Member
    The Gettysburg Address is a great speech. However, my personal favorite is Theodore Roosevelt's speech at the Sorbonne in Paris, France--- or better known as "The Man in the Arena" speech.

Not familiar with that one ... Wiki says it's 35 pages ... I pulled it up and it appears to be 14 pages ... it's called "Citizenship in a Republic" ... is the premise that France is the republic, or that the US is a republic like France (as opposed to a federal system)? I searched for the word "constitution" and it wasn't found, nor was the word "federal" ... I don't know that I'd bother reading that, I'm more interested in citizenship in a constituted federal system.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Man I'd love to quote you verbatim on that. It would stir up all kinds of hissy fits.
  • Hugh DamrightHugh Damright Member Posts: 169 Member
    hissy fits

LOL ... I post on a civil war forum, and my avatar there is a confederate soldier holding the confederate flag in one hand and pointing to it with his other hand ... talk about hissy fits ... I posted something there about the idea that sovereignty was indivisible, and that if it was true then either the people of each state are still fully sovereign over their state, or else the people of the whole US are sovereign as if the US is one big consolidated state ... then I put the term "state sovereignty" in the title, and the hissy fits began, personal attacks, it's all about slavery, arguments against secession ... this forum seems much less radical ... then again I stopped using the confederate flag as my avatar here and I used the word "north" instead of "yankees", so maybe that is part of the difference ... but man that civil war forum is frightening ... there are actually people there who believe that the Constitution bestows absolute power on the people of the whole US, as if the US is one big consolidated state as opposed to a federal system, and as if the Constitution's powers are absolute as opposed to limited ... and they keep asking why some of us seem to hate them, to still fly the confederate flag, why we can't let it go ... all I can say is that they seem foreign to me, their beliefs seem foreign, their political view seems foreign, and if we had our way, they really would be foreign.

[edit]I posted a poll on that cw forum asking what would remain if the US was abolished ... not one person (other than myself) answered that 50 states would remain ... frightening.
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    Regardless of the chest beating of South vs North or North vs South, love or hate Lincoln etc... the Civil War ended a long long time ago and thank god for that. We tend to forget in this modern age or in the heated/cool comfort of our homes that that war was fought in an era where a gunshot wound to a limb meant almost certain gangrene and amputation (without anesthetic) or that father fought against son or brother fought against brother etc... Thank god that today I live in a country where I can still own a firearm, can see a doctor when I get sick, turn on a switch to heat or cool my house or more importantly, can still combat tyranny with my pen, my voice and my vote. You can have the Civil War and everything that went with it.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    ... but man that civil war forum is frightening ... there are actually people there who believe that the Constitution bestows absolute power on the people of the whole US, as if the US is one big consolidated state as opposed to a federal system, and as if the Constitution's powers are absolute as opposed to limited ...

[edit]I posted a poll on that cw forum asking what would remain if the US was abolished ... not one person (other than myself) answered that 50 states would remain ... frightening.

Frightening, but not entirely surprising, I'd wager. Let's remember how the school curriculum has changed over time; history books (used in schools) are not being written by the people who were there, nor is history being taught from an objective point of view. I can definitely attest to that, having raised a daughter and now raising a son in an area that leans heavily liberal. Even my own understanding of the history of our country has been significantly broadened by our conversations here; much more so than I got from school.
    I recently watched the Steven Spielberg movie Lincoln (Daniel Day-Lewis in the title role), and DEFINITELY saw that differently than I might have a few years ago.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.