Hat Trick on Hogs - .30cal 125gr Hornady SST Field Report

2

Replies

  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I get the impression that the SST's will perform well with any reasonable shot on deer sized game in pretty much any caliber.

    I agree.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    What, nobody going to mention the fact that I finally used an actual "hunting" bullet to kill something and not those darned A-Max?!

    Ha!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    What, nobody going to mention the fact that I finally used and actual "hunting" billet to kill something and not those darned A-Max?!

    Ha!

    When a child figures out what you've been telling them all along, you just smile and nod. We don't nag.

    :tooth:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    When a child figures out what you've been telling them all along, you just smile and nod. We don't nag.

    :tooth:

    Dont worry, the A-Max (in 162gr 7mm flavor) will be up to bat this weekend.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,669 Senior Member
    Nicely done mi hermano :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Yeah the bullet blew up.......

    You keep saying that........

    inigo_montoya.jpg
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    Nice shooting
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    The bullet came apart.
    Better?

    Looking at your pic, the bullet expanded to almost its base and shed a majority of its weight. After striking heavy bone, penetrating vitals, and traversing the neck. I'd say it held together very well for a light for caliber bullet.

    What I see is a good mushroom.

    Just because that last little bit of lead fell out of the jacket.......you think it "came apart"?

    Buddy...........when you open up an animal and all you find are fragments of bullet throughout the carcass.............THAT is bullet blow up. THAT, is a bullet coming apart.

    When there is nothing left to resemble the structure of a bullet.............then........you can use "blow up".

    "imoit:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    And light for caliber? Pfffft. 139 is the "normal" weight.

    Right, Nancy.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Just because you are wrong, doesn't mean we can't be friends.

    6a00d8341bf80a53ef00e5501970d78834-.jpg
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Meh. What's a little blood?


    Nothing wrong with the blood......it's the blood born pathogens that like to worm themselves into tiny cracks, such as dry areas around the cuticles of your nails, that I have a problem with.

    Nasty, NASTY little bugs floating around in the blood of wild animals, especially in porcine, feline, and poultry critters.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the blood......it's the blood born pathogens that like to worm themselves into tiny cracks, such as dry areas around the cuticles of your nails, that I have a problem with.

    Nasty, NASTY little bugs floating around in the blood of wild animals, especially in porcine, feline, and poultry critters.

    Well, I've had my hands inside so many dead pigs............I either got it.........gonna get it..........or am immune.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Just because you are wrong, doesn't mean we can't be friends.

    A properly loaded 7mm-08 case:

    FinalLoad-1.jpg
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,669 Senior Member
    Couple of things...
    First, Zedrick THANK YOU for the report :worthy: If the 125 ballistic tips I have on hand don't perform as I want from wife's reduced load 16" 308 (40.0gr H4895) Then the 125 SSTs are DEFINITELY the next bullet in line for her.

    Chris, I've gotta agree with Zedrick on bullets "blowing up". The 155 Berger @ 117 yards from a 30-06 that made an ENTRANCE wound I couldn't cover with a splayed hand and not a MARK on the inside of the off side chest.... THAT bullet "blew up" on contact. Yours held together and penetrated, yes, it MAY have "over expanded" but that's a darned sight different than actually "blowing up" IMO
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Here is an interesting question to ponder.

    On both Pig 2 & Pig 3 there were TWO (2) ribs broken on entrance. BOTH pigs were broadside at the shot. There is a span of at least 1" or maybe more between each rib.

    So, how did two ribs end up getting broken? The bullet wasn't wide enough to impact both ribs.

    All I can think of is that the trauma caused on impact (blunt force?) fractured both ribs. Any other ideas?

    I may be off base here, but maybe when the bullet passes into the animal and 'pressurises' the body cavity, the release of pressure out the entrance hole could 'blow' a second rib out. Did the fracture of the rib look like it was from force from within the animal.

    I recall an argument on another thread about someone shooting a small deer with a very large calibre. the shot was taken through the chest and the projectile exited near the tail from memory. The entrance hole looked like an exit hole as it appeared the pressure within the body cavity blew some of the internals out the entrance hole.

    A rib in the area of impact would possibly suffer some weakening as the bullet passed nearby and the pressure could probably do the rest.

    A few years back I shot a Fallow spiker with the 7mm08. Shot was quartering from the rear and impact point was about 4" to the rear of the shoulder. Exit point was just in front off the off side shoulder. The impact point had a hole blown in it the size of my fist, with 3 ribs broken. Two of the broken ribs were outside the animal laying on the ground.............next to the heart which had been blown out the entry hole in pieces.

    I believe that what can happen sometimes is this........ The bullet creates a calibre sized hole on entry at the same time weakening the surrounding tissue and bone. As the bullet continues on its path, it pressurizes the area inside the animal. The bullet continues across the cavity and starts making an exit hole. In the meantime, the pressure buildup is released through the only opening available to it which is the entry hole.

    Sixgun and I discussed this a while ago and from memory he agreed with me that this is probable.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Thanks for the excellent write-up and report. I enjoy reading of your adventures. Great pics also.

    Enjoy the bacon! Were the kids with you, or was it too late?
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    How much of the bullet did you find?
    None, if I remember correctly. Or at most, tiny fragments.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    shooter wrote: »
    Thanks for the excellent write-up and report. I enjoy reading of your adventures. Great pics also.

    Enjoy the bacon! Were the kids with you, or was it too late?

    Thanks. It was too late on a school night for the kids. Unfortunately. My boy really wanted to go.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,669 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    How much of the bullet did you find?
    a few little shiny "flecks" Nothing big enough to say "here's what's left"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    I recall an argument on another thread about someone shooting a small deer with a very large calibre. the shot was taken through the chest and the projectile exited near the tail from memory. The entrance hole looked like an exit hole as it appeared the pressure within the body cavity blew some of the internals out the entrance hole.

    A rib in the area of impact would possibly suffer some weakening as the bullet passed nearby and the pressure could probably do the rest.

    A few years back I shot a Fallow spiker with the 7mm08. Shot was quartering from the rear and impact point was about 4" to the rear of the shoulder. Exit point was just in front off the off side shoulder. The impact point had a hole blown in it the size of my fist, with 3 ribs broken. Two of the broken ribs were outside the animal laying on the ground.............next to the heart which had been blown out the entry hole in pieces.

    I believe that what can happen sometimes is this........ The bullet creates a calibre sized hole on entry at the same time weakening the surrounding tissue and bone. As the bullet continues on its path, it pressurizes the area inside the animal. The bullet continues across the cavity and starts making an exit hole. In the meantime, the pressure buildup is released through the only opening available to it which is the entry hole.

    Sixgun and I discussed this a while ago and from memory he agreed with me that this is probable.

    I'm not saying your theory is incorrect because I flat don't know. I didn't notice any abnormal outward protrusion of the ribs. Just that they were broken as seen in the pics.

    I'm still hanging onto the "impact" trauma as breaking them. Could be floating down the wrong stream, though.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    a few little shiny "flecks" Nothing big enough to say "here's what's left"


    It was a Magic Bullet!!!! Killed the deer without leaving any forensic evidence to trace!!!!

    :p
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,669 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    It was a Magic Bullet!!!! Killed the deer without leaving any forensic evidence to trace!!!!

    :p
    We'll see what the bergers do @ 30-30 velocities this weekend (hopefully)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    I'm also somewhat surprised nobody asked what a "Hat Trick" was.

    Seems I've misjudged you all.

    :-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,669 Senior Member
    Some of us are even old enough to remember "The Miracle on Ice"
    neer.gif
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I'm also somewhat surprised nobody asked what a "Hat Trick" was.

    Seems I've misjudged you all.

    :-)

    You do know the can of worms you just opened.................

    Common usage for a hat trick is when some one scores 3 goals in a row, or gets 3 players out in a row, or, in your case achieves 3 results in a row etc....................

    However, in older times it was named 'Hat Trick' because those who accomplished one, were rewarded by being presented with a hat.

    Your Savage cap will be in the mail as soon as I can source one.........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    Nicely done Zee.....you too Alec
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Your Savage cap will be in the mail as soon as I can source one.........
    I know of a guy in the Washington DC area by the name of Alphasigmookie that may be able to help you out.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,492 Senior Member
    Ya had a great nite and great pics.

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Your Savage cap will be in the mail as soon as I can source one.........

    I'll be sure to post the video of the hat in flames.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    Nice hunt, great autopsies and pics!
    Well done.
    You think the Sst is tough enough for elk, in a 225 gr, 338 flavor?
2
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.